Is there spiritual meaning behind Sunday Bloody Sunday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanMN

Babyface
I had the pleasure of attending a non-denominational U2 Holy Week service last year in my hometown on Good Friday. It was a typical service, but U2 songs were the hymns as it took you through Holy Week. I thought they did a pretty good job on some selections (Beautiful Day and When Love Comes to Town for Palm Sunday, With or Without You and One for Holy Thursday, Pride (In the Name of Love) for Easter), but there was one glaring misstep in their selection that's still toying in my mind: Sunday Bloody Sunday for Easter. I can play the scene from Rattle & Hum in my head when Bono's giving his monologue about Sunday Bloody Sunday. Unless I'm missing something, this song is about a call to peaceful arms about the revolution and it just angered me how this song, written in a time and place and in the anger and anguish of all the innocent people who either died or suffered at the hands of the IRA was now being turned into a joyful hymn for Easter. Is it just me, or am I missing something more spiritual out of this song?

You are just missing one thing- the last line of the song...
"The real battle just begun, to claim the victory Jesus won on Sunday..."
Which of course was on Easter Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom