In God's Country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
daymind said:
I wondered about the lyrics of "In God's Country." Would someone share with me the story they are telling?

Bono has always said it could be about Ireland or the U.S. and the religious corruption, wars, political oppression, etc that take place in 2 countries that have supposedly founded everything on God's Word, and God's Plan, and how they've moved so far away from what He wants.

"Sleep comes like a drug, in God's country"

I've heard that explained as being about sleep (being apathy) lets corruption in and if you are lazy you dont want to do anything about it and get used to it (a drug).

Yea the song is about corruption in the church or manipulation of televangelism.

Re: Re: In God's Country

U2isthebest said:

Bono has always said it could be about Ireland or the U.S. and the religious corruption, wars, political oppression, etc that take place in 2 countries that have supposedly founded everything on God's Word, and God's Plan, and how they've moved so far away from what He wants.

the US was founded on the secular principles of The Englightenment. the US Constitution has much more to do with John Locke than with Jesus Christ.

i think the song is about people who claim that goodness and patriotism are the same thing, those that conflate what they believe to be God's will with politics and political agendas.

it's also about how beautiful the American West is.

Back
Top Bottom