Idea...what do you all think of trying....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Well as many of us are reading that book Walk On, I was thinking that rather than try to discuss the ENTIRE book in one whack, why not break it down and discuss it in bits?

For example, every week or few days or so we could have a thread devoted to one chapter. That way we could really dig into it and have lots of discussion.
smile.gif

Anyways, it's just a thot. Let me know what you all think.

-sula

I really like that idea...but unfortunately I don't have the book yet...been meaning to get to B and N, but haven't had the time...maybe we could plan to do this sometime in the future (near) but maybe not just now...cause I would really like to participate but don't have the resources to right now.

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

I?m with hippy, my book is still on order sula, I chose the cheaper amazon shipment, as usual, it can take several weeks to arrive. I?m eager to read it. Could we postpone the discussion in chapters for a while?

Yep, we can definitely hold off a bit till more people get their copies of the book. However, I should add that part of my idea (which I forgot to add to my post earlier) was that I would type up some major portions of whichever chapter (not the whole thing obviously, I don't wanna get sued for plagiarism) and include it in the post. That way, we could have it there on the screen in front of us.

Anyways...

-sula

hey, I was thinking we ought to do the same! We could all gather for a discussion of that week's chapter, possibly.

Looks like we need to give some people time for orders to come...want to set a date in a few weeks or so to start on chapter 1, or the forward, that was very interesting too?

(maybe we don't need to get specific yet, I just like to plan ahead)

I'd like to sign up, too. Two issues come up for me, though. First, I start back to grad school at the end of this month, along with full-time teaching, so I may not get to keep up with you. Second, I'm not a Christian, so I may not get some of the references. (I don't remember a whole lot from my Lutheran upbringing, but some is still there.) I'm sure you all can explain them to me, though. And, of course, my copy is on order as well.

------------------
...the highway speaks of deserts dry...

well, i don't have the book, either. however, i'm sure it's still available in stores here. it's not like anyone else in this city is a U2 fan!
rolleyes.gif

how much is the price for the book? just to give me a general idea. (i'm in the us btw, i know my nickname sounds like i'm not...grr)

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

sula,
I really like your idea. (My copy's in the mail, too.) It's also kinda cool that, no matter when we start, each chapter-thread will be bumped every time someone else starts reading it and then finds their way to the discussion.
Since I finally visited stocki's site, he's become my latest personal hero...
biggrin.gif

KhanadaR, it isn't expensive. I think I paid $12 on Amazon.

peace all,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

This is a great idea. I'm about halfway through the book, which I think is pretty decent considering it's all from an outsiders point of view.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

How about February 1st we begin discussion of Introduction? That will motivate the people who want to get the book - to go get it. And for those of us who have - we do not need to wait much longer to start the discussion.

Does that sound cool? Fair?

Feb. 1st sounds ok to me.

The book is $13.99 in the store, BTW.

Deb, I'm really liking Stockman too. I really like what he has to say on his website! Besides being a U2 fan AND a Presbyterian
smile.gif

nooooooooooooooooooooo

bookstore i ordered it from said it might not be here till MARCH and other stores said they were getting copies in APRIL! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *stews*
mad.gif

I was just about to post that Bethany and I would like to see the forward at least in here and begin to discuss it. Then her and I would do alternate chapter openers or introductions as individual threads starting February. But at least we can start gnawing on the forward and wet the appetites of those who will be getting the book, or are undecided. Let us know what you think again?

Chris

Originally posted by brettig:
nooooooooooooooooooooo

bookstore i ordered it from said it might not be here till MARCH and other stores said they were getting copies in APRIL! gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *stews*
mad.gif

You know....forget the bookstore, brettig. I shall send you a copy and that will be that.
smile.gif
Email me the pertinent details.

-sula

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
*already has the entire foreword typed out and would like to post it NOW!*

Please post! Unfortunately, B and N didn't have it when I went there today (though I was able to get the bible! woohoo!)...so I'm also lacking the book...I'm going to look for it when I get back to school at the end of the week, but until then, who knows?

sula, you had said you would post excerpts from the book anyway...so we could all talk about them whether we had the book or not...could we still do that idea?

------------------
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Sula - your compassion puts me to shame.
smile.gif
That was really sweet of you type all of that out - and I didn't even think of it as an option.

You are good teacher by your actions - we need more of you
wink.gif

and oh yeah: after so much looking back lately, thanks for giving me something I truly look forward to!

(My copy of the book had just better get here before I have to fly back east on Thurs...)

love & peace,
Deb D

Back
Top Bottom