I'd like to read a good book about the Psalms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

It won't be a martha in GIS thread without some conditions though, so here they are:

I'd like the book to focus solely on the Psalms, with literate, thoughtful, and intelligent commentary.

I'd also like the book to be relatively mainstream, not from a sect that has an agenda.

The book must be easy to obtain, either from a library or a bookstore, please. I don't want to get on anyone's mailing list.

Thank you. I await your suggestions. :yes:

Sorry for the delay in responding. I conferred with my wife on your question.

We have two suggestions:

1. Prayer, Praise & Promises: A Daily Walk Through the Psalms by Warren Wiersbe

We have a number of Wiersbe books, including his expositional guides to the Old and New Testament.

2. Psalms, 3 Volumes: An Expositional Commentary by James Montgomery Boice.

A little hefty, but remember there are 150 Psalms. We have a number of Boice commentaries (he covers Romans in 4 volumes). Maybe a little more depth than you are looking for, but a great source if so inclined.

I hope these help.

God Bless

:wave:

nbcrusader said:

1. Prayer, Praise & Promises: A Daily Walk Through the Psalms by Warren Wiersbe

We have a number of Wiersbe books, including his expositional guides to the Old and New Testament.

I knew you'd come up with something if I waited patiently. :D

I'm assuming that I'll be able to take a look at this one in any decent Christian bookstore, right?

So, where's a decent Christian bookstore in OC?

(And by decent, I mean well-stocked.)

martha said:
So, where's a decent Christian bookstore in OC?

(And by decent, I mean well-stocked.)

We tend to purchase most of our books through Christianbook.com

The only bookstore I've visited is way down in Mission Viejo.

I did a Yahoo search for the Long Beach area and found the following:

Alabadle Christian Store, 505 E. 4th, Long Beach (562) 436-0590

Lighthouse Christian Store, 3008 N. Bellflower, Long Beach (562) 425-1211

Christian Books & Supplies, 555 W. 9th #1, San Pedro (310) 763-7440

Family Christian Book Store, 2820 Sepulveda, Torrance, (310) 325-3787

Reading the Psalms in The Message is also a good way to go through them through a different viewpoint :yes:

Bono would recommend that :up:

BTW, if Family Christian Bookstore is part of the same chain we have in MI, they are great and that is the one I primarily use.

Last edited:
The Message is a new paraphrase of the Bible...it is the translation that Bono reads...The Message speaks in a way that put the scriptures in today's vernacular...I would strongly recommend this version Martha...I believe you can also get the Message just with the Psalms.

Chris

Psalm 22 is very interesting. When you get your book, be sure to read about it. :hyper:

If you're interested in a Jewish translation for comparison's sake, you might check a library for the ArtScroll edition, which includes the traditional Talmudic and Midrashic commentaries, or the JPS (Jewish Publication Society) edition, which doesn't include those but does have good, succinct modern commentary. Either one will probably be called "Tehillim," which is how the Hebrew title is usually transliterated.

I would also recommend a fascinating piece of historical Biblical scholarship called On the Book of Psalms, by Nahum Sarna. Although it covers only 10 psalms in depth, it does an outstanding job of locating Tehillim in the broader context of Ancient Near Eastern traditions and history.

Last edited:
I just had to jump in this thread to say....spanisheyes...where have ya been? :hug: Missed you bro!

Back
Top Bottom