I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For...Ecclesiastes or Philippians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Now before anyone looks at the title of the thread and runs away scared of theology...let me clarify what I mean by this question.
biggrin.gif

This holiday season I was down in Missouri visiting my parents. At this time in their lives they are attending a Southern Baptist church, a denomination that I'm not particularly fond of for some of their tendencies towards legalism, etc. but whatever. I was with my parents, and I was going to be a good daughter and accompany them to church on Sunday. To my surprise the interim pastor got up and said he was going to show a video clip before the sermon, and lo and behold there was Edge on the screen talking about U2 always wanting to write a gospel song! It was the footage of the band visiting the choir in Harlem to sing ISHFWILF in the Rattle and Hum movie. Needless to say I was delighted to see U2 in church no less, but a bit wary as to how this was going to figure into the sermon.

To my disappointment, after the clip was done the speaker barely mentioned the name of the band (didn't even talk about their faith, etc.) but launched right into a sermon based on the Old Testament teachings of Ecclesiastes. His "theme" was basically that we can search for happiness in all the wrong places - his examples were knowledge, sex, alcohol (it wouldn't be a good Baptist church if you didn't demonize drinking
tongue.gif
), and drugs. More or less he was using the phrase "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" to refer to the search for meaning that can only be found in Christ. And while at its most simplistic level, I think I can agree with him, something about that naivete really bothered me. The idea that one can "arrive" merely by professing faith and that the search then ends and you have "found what your looking for" is one that I disagree with.

Now for the Philippians part. I'm indebted to Steve Stockman for pointing this correlation out. I first read some of his essays on ISHFWILF when I was working on a project for my theology class - a paper I was writing about U2 and faith. (sound familiar?
wink.gif
) Stockman takes a very different approach to this song...he links it to the words of Paul in Philippians 3:12-14: Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself to have yet taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Now, as I was just typing those verses out, some of the words jumped off the screen at me. Forgetting what is behind...all that you can't leave behind. Press on...walk on. And of course the goal. But even broader than that is the concept that even if one has come to faith, one is still on a journey. That our lives are a continual process in which we grow and learn. I like the way Stockman puts it in the book Walk On (page 75): Paul had to take the belief, then go where that belief would lead him. Proclaiming a new doctrinal statement did not bring with it and overnight holiness.

Anyways, I realize that this is long-winded. lol. I actually have more stuff from the book that I want to add to this, but I'll open it up for discussion and see what you all think.
smile.gif

-sula

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 01-05-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
His "theme" was basically that we can search for happiness in all the wrong places - his examples were knowledge,

Sorry to butt in here, but this is a scary thing. I'm a little obsessed with education and knowledge, I know, but to put knowledge in the same category as drinking and drugs as something to be avoided is going too far. Especially after using a clip from a band that is known for its intelligence and knowledge.

*shudder*

Ok, back to the original program.

------------------
...the highway speaks of deserts dry...

Originally posted by martha:
Sorry to butt in here, but this is a scary thing. I'm a little obsessed with education and knowledge, I know, but to put knowledge in the same category as drinking and drugs as something to be avoided is going too far. Especially after using a clip from a band that is known for its intelligence and knowledge.

lol. I think he was just going through the progression in Ecclesiastes. The story of one man's search for meaning - Solomon's. Just turns out that his particular life story includes those elements, I guess.
biggrin.gif
In Ecclesiastes, the "teacher" talks about how he studied and searched for answers in knowledge alone and that it failed him. And this coming from the "wisest" man in the world.
biggrin.gif

The point was (I think) that any of those things alone will not bring happiness. Not that we should avoid pursuing them altogether.

But yeah, like you, I think I'd categorize drugs and learning slightly apart.
wink.gif

-sula

NO WAY SULA!

Wow! I just taught the high school sunday school lesson on that passage last week! Weird! I used the lyrics to Walk On too!

COOL!

Just think about all of the things Paul wanted to leave behind. How about holding the coats for those who stoned Stephen?

Hmmm.... You've got to leave it behind....

Mark

This song makes a really good point about Christianity and being a Christian, and I think Steve Stockman is onto it. I don't think it's about Ecclesiastes at all, because it's not describing someone looking to the world for satisfaction, but wanting to "be with you" the "you" being Jesus.

For the longest time I was surprised that these Christian band members could say "They still haven't found what they're looking for" when Christians were riding around with bumper stickers that said "I've found it!" I came to the same conclusion as Stockman, that hey, look around you, the world is not as it should be, and people are selfish and materialistic (see p75 in Walk On). Or possibly they just haven't found Jesus/Christianity in any particular religious practice.

But there's more to it than that. When you become a Christian, the journey is not over...yeh, sula, that is naive to think so. The Philippians verse is much more apt. What do we pray? "Thy kingdom come.." It's not here yet! The point is, though, that U2 are still "looking for" union with Jesus, really desiring Heaven. There is a process of transformation as the holy spirit works and you grow in Christ. You have to continually work to put off the old self. (like ATYCLB!) It reminds me of Romans 7:19: "For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do." And that is Paul speaking, who is a faithful apostle.

The line "Well yes I'm still running" may come from another verse as well (Heb. 12:1-2):

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverence the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfector of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."

Maybe this song is a kind of answer to Christians who think they've got it down simply because they've accepted Christ. You can take an honest look at yourself and know you have a long way to go, but rejoice because you can depend on God's grace. If that's a paradox, it's much like any you'll find in the bible.

I don't think U2 are lying when they say it's a gospel song!

I'm sorry, I sort of stopped reading after seeing the part about EDGE IN A VIDEO CLIP SHOWN AT YOUR FOLKS' CHURCH - OMD!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
*prays for this at my church too*

I believe that we do struggle to "find what we're looking for" in all the wrong places...I know it's a total cliche by now, but years ago, I heard someone say that everyone has a "God shaped hole" in their hearts that only He can fill...this phrase had a big impact on me, and started me on my own quest for God. I know many of us try to fill this hole with anything and everything else we can get our hands on...I speak from experience - I was never an 'addict' but I easily could have been at one time. I've also heard it said that all of our wants, needs, desires and longings cannot be filled by anything of the earthly realm, or by another human being, only God--who made us in His image--can every truly fulfill us...

I agree with you and Stocki, being a Christian doesn't mean everything is just all wine and roses from then on...one of the very first thinkgs I remember after becoming a believer is something my sister wrote to me, which was very eye-opening: "the life of a Christian is not easy; it's hard, it's a struggle, it can be very difficult at times....but it will also be the most educational, amazing and rewarding time of your life!"
biggrin.gif
And she was right! Goodness knows overnight holiness did NOT come to this girl! (see PLEBA!) LOL!!
wink.gif

Hmmm...I may just send a copy of Walk On to my pastor, and see if he'll use the ISHFWILF idea for an upcoming sermon, how cool!

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
lo and behold there was Edge on the screen talking about U2 always wanting to write a gospel song! It was the footage of the band visiting the choir in Harlem to sing ISHFWILF in the Rattle and Hum movie. Needless to say I was delighted to see U2 in church no less, but a bit wary as to how this was going to figure into the sermon.

More or less he was using the phrase "I still haven't found what I'm looking for"

The idea that one can "arrive" merely by professing faith and that the search then ends and you have "found what your looking for" is one that I disagree with.

Stockman takes a very different approach to this song...Forgetting what is behind...all that you can't leave behind. Press on...walk on. And of course the goal. But even broader than that is the concept that even if one has come to faith, one is still on a journey.

A lot of good points covered in this interesting thread. I too think that a relationship with God is a journey which is why I cannot conceive of everything coming to an ultimate conclusion in heaven, so to speak. It says in the Bible that in the end, every tear will be wiped from our eyes and there will be no more suffering, but I cannot grasp what this is like, since joy is pain and pain is joy. No pain in heaven? I don't know.

As for the quest for knowledge being futile, the writer meant that the pursuit of ultimate wisdom is meaningless because one can never fully understand. (then I saw all that God has done. No one can comprehend what goes on under the sun. Despite all his efforts to search it out...)

I also think sula is correct about the search for wisdom ONLY being the point of the passage in Ecclesiastes. Wisdom by itself cannot quench us. That is why I am not a Buddhist.

foray

I would like to think that the song 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' deals with Phillipians 3:12-14, and also the concept that one day when this life is over, all temptations and heartache will cease, and we will no longer need to look for those things that our hearts so desire down here to see, such as peace, justice, and love between those that would make us their enemies, but may never see because of the fallen state of our world. I can honestly say that I find all my hope in Christ, but that I still haven't found what I'm looking for at times that I would like to see become realities in my own life and in the world I live in...but I press on, or 'walk on' toward that day when I will forget what lies behind, and take hold of the prize which is in Christ Jesus according to Paul's writings.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 01-05-2002).]

I have climbed highest mountain
I have run through the fields

I have run
I have crawled

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is absolutely a song about the spiritual journey that simply begins when you accept Christ. The "running" does not end there by any means. I think that we all probably know this. I, personally, have found it harder to "run", harder to "crawl" at times since I have accepted Jesus.

I truly haven't found what I'm looking for. And I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. But I'm keeping my heart open and my mind awake so that I can be sure to know when I find it. If I ever find it. But I can't say that I didn't try, that I didn't "hold the hand of the devil" and "run" and "crawl" and "climb the highest mountain". And that's I think what counts in the end, that we have done those things with God by our side. With his blessing we search for Him and attempt to find Him. But He will reveal himself at the exact moment we need him. I have faith.

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Back
Top Bottom