I just got a miracle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
This will probably be a bit scatterbrained of a post but I am so excited I just have to share.

A week ago, I just happened to pass by one of my workplaces, the tourism office, where I haven't spent much time recently due to being busy at my other office. And randomly, I went up to talk to the Assistant Director only to find him with someone else. I greeted them in Bambara and the man (the guest) engaged me in conversation. He was really impressed with my Bambara, the fact that I dressed in Malian clothes, and my overall "integration". Turns out that he is a Malian that teaches at a private university in Virginia and he was there to prepare for a group of students and administrators who were coming to visit Mali for a week. He asked me if I wouldn't mind helping them out by coming along on some of the tours here in Bamako of things like the museum, university, etc. I said of course, it would be fun.

So, I did spend a lot of time with this group and we REALLY hit it off well. They were very open and friendly and sensitive to culture and generally a good bunch of folk. Among the group was one of their large donors on the board of trustees, the VP of Academics, and the dean of Admissions. Not that this meant anything to me at the time.

Anyways, they also met and spent time with Sul, my boyfriend. They were really impressed by him, his intelligence and obvious good character (yeah, i know how to pick em). And at the end of their stay, the VP pulled him aside and told him that they would really like to have him as a student at their school. Well, so they left and Sul and I weren't sure if they were just SAYING stuff, or if they were serious.

Today...I just got an email from them saying that yes, they want Sul to come as a student, that the money is already set aside in the budget for his tuition, room and board and that the Dean of Admissions himself will help Sul through the admissions process.

I am truly amazed. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I can't begin to express....really. And to think, the same day that they left, he got an email with a job offer in Kabul, Afghanistan. I would not have been able to handle him going there...would have been terrified for him. And now this! This changes everything! If he can come to the States as a student, it takes the pressure off our relationship quite a bit. Because otherwise, I would have had to stay here or else we would have had to marry in order for him to get a visa.

I'm so grateful. Thank you God for miracles.

Back
Top Bottom