i am seriously thinking about attending services outside of my church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
as a catholic i have been dealing with some issues and beliefs surrounding my church. i am not a devoted catholic, but do attend mass on occassion outside of the required masses.

anyway a close friend of mine is also catholic and is dealing with the same struggles that i am regarding the church. she has been attending services on sunday at a non-denominational chruch and is talking me in to going to some services with her. i am interested however since i have never been to services at a non-denominational church i am not sure what to expect. i was wondering if there are any people in here who do attend services regularly or have in the past at a non-denominational church. i am curious, because i feel like i am abandoning my church by attending the services but feel the need to explorer other faiths. :huh:

does this make any sense?

okay iris you are in NO WAY abadoning the church by going to non-denominational church services. I actually think that its great that you are going to do this, I myself have never been to a non-denominational church and I have always wondered what it was like. Let me know how it goes.

I completely understand what you are going through. I am here to talk to any time you need!! k

I just thought you should know that its okay to feel like this and you aren't abandoning the church, if anything the experience might strength the beliefs that you already have.

:hug:

thanks kelly. i guess my catholic guilt is making me feel bad for even thinking about attending. i feel bad because i don't want to tell my parents that i am thinking about doing this because i know both my parents, especially my mother will look down on me for doing this. :reject: she gives me enough grief for not attending mass on a regular basis. i told my parents several months back that i don't feel comfortable right now going to mass and until i find a congregation that i feel is on the same belief that i am then i will not be attending mass. :slant: :reject:

Last edited:
I attended a non-dom church for awhile.

I found it a mostly posative experience.

It will be a lot different than what you are accustomed to.

I never liked the pop Christian music.

It did fill a need I had at the time.

Go for it.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
thanks kelly. i guess my catholic guilt is making me feel bad for even thinking about attending. i feel bad because i don't want to tell my parents that i am thinking about doing this because i know both my parents, especially my mother will look down on me for doing this. :reject: she gives me enough grief for not attending mass on a regular basis. i told my parents several months back that i don't feel comfortable right now going to mass and until i find a congregation that i feel is on the same belief that i am then i will not be attending mass. :slant: :reject:

Oh gah I completely understand my gram gives my mom a big guilt trip whenever we do take her to mass. Dont get me wrong I enjoy going to mass but I dont like get forced or told to go. One of reasons why I have been going to church almost every Sunday for the last 3 yrs is bc my gram lives with us and feels like if she doesnt go to church, she will go to hell.

Honestly I have been going through some tough times with my own beliefs so I understand what you are dealing with.

I think you should go there if you are learning and finding it to meet your needs. You need to explore and find out what your faith is to YOU, not to your parents. :hug:

Skip the titles and go straight to the Man Himself! Spending time in the Word and experiencing different Christian churches will help you in your faith walk.

MVD, I don't think you should feel guilty about wanting to explore other churches. I did! I was raised a Protestant and converted to Catholicism. I know all about having issues with the church your parents raised you in. Fortunately my parents accept that this was what God led me to, and every Sunday they go to their Methodist services and I go to mass. Sometimes I go to their church and sometimes they go to mine. God didn't make us with a cookie-cutter. I get annoyed with people who think He did.

"Non-denominational" is usually a catch phrase for Calvinist Protestant. If I were there, I'd probably ask the minister a few key questions, and I'd get my answer.

Just be knowledgable about what you're getting into, that's all.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
Skip the titles and go straight to the Man Himself! Spending time in the Word and experiencing different Christian churches will help you in your faith walk.

i agree. whats a non-demon. church anyway?

when my friends ask me what "branch" of christianity i am .. i'm always like, "who cares?? I dont even know the difference.." a relationship with God shouldn't have "categories" or "branches" .. it's all the same, isn't it?

Natztar said:

when my friends ask me what "branch" of christianity i am .. i'm always like, "who cares?? I dont even know the difference.." a relationship with God shouldn't have "categories" or "branches" .. it's all the same, isn't it?

My only objection to this category is that I believe it to be deceptive. Like it or not, there are many philosophies that encompass Christianity. Non-denominationals usually do share a common philosophy and approach to the Bible, but, by using that name, IMO, they automatically try and catapult their brand of Christianity as the "mainstream" version--e.g., those who don't agree are bad Christians.

I have no problem believing in something, but, I guess for me, I like to know what I'm getting into, IMO...

Melon

Natztar said:

We might all be Christians but we don't choose the same churches for various and sundry reasons.

I've never really understood the difference between anglican, prespryterian (i dont even know how to spell it..), catholic and all that. All I need to know is God is real and he died for our sins.

Natztar said:
I've never really understood the difference between anglican, prespryterian (i dont even know how to spell it..), catholic and all that. All I need to know is God is real and he died for our sins.

Quoted like a Calvinist Protestant. :sexywink:

The differences are there, and, perhaps unfortunately, I have studied them. The hypocrisy has made me less "religious" as a result.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom