Human souls similar to the divine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruby Tuesday

Babyface
Do you believe that since human souls are replicas of the divine, then they must be similar to this divine being? And, because of this similarity we are able to enter into a loving relationship with God - if there was no similarity, we wouldn't strive to become unified with a transcendental figure that is completely foreign and alien to ourselves.

It seems to be a common theme in all religions: Christian teaching is that man was made in God's image; in Hinduism they teach "That art thou" and Buddhism teaches a one Buddha-nature present in all things.

Agree/disagree? Comments/opinions?

I think there is a distinct difference between being created in the "image" of God and actually "being" part of God.

And we could also talk about whether or not there is a distinction between body and soul in Christianity or if that is more a product of Greek philosophy than biblical teaching.

But back to the image idea...I think there is definitely a reason that we are created as such. We have the capacity to relate to God, but that capacity has been damaged (call it sin or some other name...alienation, distortion, etc). And I think in Christianity, the idea that Jesus can bridge that distortion so we can come back into that relationship and become truly human is a pretty astounding idea.

I think we are a part of God. God is everything. God is present in every atom, in every elementary part. We are made up of elemantary parts. So that makes God being in us. Every moment.
And every moment full of love and energy.

To really answer this question we need to decide two things: (1)What is our source of Truth and (2) What does our source of Truth say.

nbcrusader said:
To really answer this question we need to decide two things: (1)What is our source of Truth and (2) What does our source of Truth say.

Exactly. My source of truth is what I call the Holy spirit. And the Holy Spirit said nothing, but just transcended a feeling like "One" (if I can describe that... I can?t, really, but its near tho that). This is why I have the nerve to call Holy Spirit. I didn?t know another word.

martha said:
You don't want to know what I think.

:lmao:

I think I know what you think. I think I think the same thing.

edit: Oh, and I meant no disrespect for this thread. At all. It's a great topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom