How do you read the bible? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:43 AM
How do you read the bible?

I mean, I read already so often here that you 'read the bible and stumbled across some interesting verse'. I once tried to read the bible - in fact it is still in my shelf next to my bed - but I never came further then the 1. book of Moses. It was all so boring......that guy got these children and their names are--------and the first son got another 20 children-------the second son got these chidren-----------I would like to read the bible, but I can't cope with these stories of who is whose father and when that person died........
So where is a good part to read? The Psalms? The stories of Christ's life?

FallingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 02:22 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:43 AM
You might try skipping to the New Testament. The Gospel of John is a really interesting one, I think. So is the Gospel of Luke. Actually, the OT has lots of interesting stuff in it too, but there are a lot more genealogies and whatnot to wade through. You might also try taking a look at the paraphrase version by Eugene Peterson called "The Message". It's in everyday language and it's Bono-recommended.

sulawesigirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 02:37 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
You might also try taking a look at the paraphrase version by Eugene Peterson called "The Message". It's in everyday language and it's Bono-recommended.
I've heard of another Eugene Peterson bible or whatever that Bono said would be his favourite book, but when I wanted to buy it it costed 45$.
However, I'll try that out. Thank you.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:48 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by FallingStar

I've heard of another Eugene Peterson bible or whatever that Bono said would be his favourite book, but when I wanted to buy it it costed 45$.
However, I'll try that out. Thank you.
It's the same one. A paraphrase of the Bible called "The Message". Perhaps you could check the library and see if you can borrow it for free. Or maybe buy it used.

sulawesigirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:24 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:43 PM
there are also cliff's notes available. i had to use them to get a backing for a paper i wrote once. but i felt like a big loser checking it out.

psalms are good times. they're like little snippets of goodness. so if that's what you're aiming for, then read those.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:45 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 05:43 AM
I haven't read very much of the Old Testament either. I find the New Testament much more interesting. Romans and Corinthians are the books I find myself reading most often. There's a lot of good stuff in them. The Psalms are great too! I've never read either the OT or the NT all the way through, but I'd like to one day. I haven't read "The Message" yet but I'm going to make sure I get it sometime because it sounds great. From all I've heard about it I think you should definitely get your hands on it if you can.
Truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:24 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

psalms are good times. they're like little snippets of goodness. so if that's what you're aiming for, then read those.
pslams are really nice to read , I also learn about the bible by talking about it with my gram because she loves to talk about and can actually quote it to.
adamswildhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 06:46 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Ecclesiastes! is my favourite book. It has its humourous moments even. Sometimes other sources renew my interest in God's Word. For instance, reading the first chapter of A History of the World in 10 1/2 pages (Julian Barnes) got me re-reading the story of Noah and the flood. Another time, I attended a lecture about the scientific facts of the Flood, behemoths, Nephilim, which got me interested again in Genesis. When Bono mentions a bible verse, my ears are pricked up. Like when he talks about the proverb about pissing in the wind and having your piss being blown back at you. Or when he sings about Judas in UTEOTW. I've also been reading Unlocking the Bible (David Pawson) and it has opened me to interesting interpretations of the Word.

foray
foray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:28 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Big Grin Thank you all so much

Hey, thank you all! That's a big help! I'l try that out soon!
Old 07-04-2002, 01:45 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

At the same time, many of the psalms are brutally honest with respect to doubt, anger at God, and despondence. These psalms are just as encouraging to me as the praise-oriented ones, as they offer glimpses of "real" people with ordinary struggles. The fact that God chose to inspire them and give their words to the ages inspires me and reminds me that He is reality-grounded and relationship-driven.
agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 01:19 PM   #11
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

You pose a question that people have been grappling with for years. How to read a book that has benefit for the here and now, as well as eternal implications for us, and read it with a passion and wilingness, as opposed to a duty.

I have often found that reading the bible along with a very good devotional has helped me. It takes me to many key verses for growth, and can also be an off shoot to other obscure books that one might not peruse as often. My suggestion would be "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. It is one of the greatest devotional ever written, and it will give you outstanding insight to the scriptures are you reading for that day.

Chris
"The truth is when that singer is saying something that comes from right down within him, and it affects you right down within you. That's when you start talking about great music, as distinct from nice music." -- Bono
spanisheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:33 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"The Message" seems to be reasonably priced here...

http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...32899&event=HP
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:06 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Romans

you can't get anymore introdustory to the gospel than this book
elevation2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 11:03 AM   #14
New Yorker

the gospel of Mark and Acts are two favourites of mine, they're almost journalistic in places!
brettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 02:45 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Thank you all for responding. It's a great help and I'm at reading already. Thank you all.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:40 PM   #16
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 01:43 AM
New Testament all the way! That's how I started reading the Bible. I also find Revelations REALLY interesting to read, though I usually have to use a guide for it.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:08 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I read through the ENTIRE Bible last summer and the only real problem I had then and now, since I'm reading it again, is that the Exodus-Dueteronomy books have a lot of repetition in them. Simply put, you'll read about not touching dead bodies or carcasses. While it isn't too interesting, it's a law that the Jewish people were to abide by, so it has it's place there. However, that same sort of stuff about sacrifices and such will appear again, and again, and again. Same with the the family trees, as they can be a slight nuisance since most of the people mentioned don't really appear outside of the tree in the Bible. The one other spot that was kind of a pain were the Chronicles books, which simply retold the story of David and the fall of the kingdom that I'd already read earlier in 1-2 Kings and 1-2 Solomon.

I'd only recommend the Old Testament for a few key books of history along with Psalms and Proverbs. The rest doesn't really have much importance, to be honest. If you're a first timer to the Bible, I'd definitely agree that starting at the New Testament is your best bet, since it's the essence of what Christianity is all about and explains God's plan for us.
BigMacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:20 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just had to point out that I meant 1-2 Samuel and not the nonexistant 1-2 Solomon. I always make that error for some reason.
BigMacPhisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Okay, the NT - I think you all agreed on that. Thank you - I've started it and I like it so far.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 PM   #20
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 01:43 AM
Just thought I'd let you know that I saw "The Message" at B&N in paperback for $17