Has U2 Influenced Your Choice of Faith?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Rolling Stone magazine first introduced U2 (in 1981 methinks) as that new Christian band from Ireland.

When I first listened to "October", I knew the guy writing the lyrics was a Christian.

*the rest of the years kept confirming this*

I go back to the storm by caused by Dylan's "Slow Train Coming."

U2, to me, is still keeping this rolling strong.

Has U2 confirmed, or helped, your choice of a religious faith or non-faith?

Last edited:
the iron horse said:
Rolling Stone magazine first introduced U2 (in 1881 methinks) as that new Christian band from Ireland.

:shocked: u2 is 125 year old? then bono should be over 140! :huh:

Actually, a little bit. I wasn't open to Christianity, period, when I got into U2. I considered it my childhood religion that I'd quit and gone on to something else, and was attending a Unitarian Church. I felt empty, though, and I'm the kind of person who wants more structure and discipline than I was getting with that arrangement. I'd listen to U2 and think "hey, if they can be Christian, why not me?" Other issues weighed in much more heavily and even I was shocked at the developments that surrounded my conversion to Catholicism. Looking back at the sixteen years since I became a Catholic, it was the hardest thing I ever did in my life, and my conversion process was slow and painful and actually took years. It's also the best decision I ever made, the one I'm the most thankful I made. I don't know why God decided to bless me with this faith, He just did. I'm definitely not worthy.

Nah. I was already a heathen when I started listening to U2. :)

Even though I don't share their religious belief I am interested in their exploration of it in their work. I don't necessarily need to agree with their premise or conclusions to find the journey compelling. I enjoy the work of many artists without sharing their viewpoint or beliefs. It's a great way to expand your mind.

their music plays a large role in my spirituality, but i can't say that it has influenced my beliefs (or lack thereof).

in other words, to quote indra, i was a heathen long before u2 came along. :wink:

the iron horse said:
"u2 is 125 year old? then bono should be over 140!"

Thanks all_i_want,

I corrected the typo.

*spellcheck,at times, does not helkp*

Hi!

No.

Mr.B over 140......could be.........I know wizards live long lives........but I doubt Mr. B is a wizard......a prophet perhaps....but I could be wrong.....{forgive me....but I'm CNNed out for today........(ugh)........now what was the question???

carol
wizard2c
:huh:

the iron horse said:

Has U2 confirmed, or helped, your choice of a religious faith or non-faith?

U2 has always been the gateway to Christianity for me. My family is not very spiritual, and as my pastor says, "Yankees are private about their religious faith". People in my area don't discuss their faith often - even at Church. I have always loved U2's views on faith and listened up.

Music has always been incredibly important to me. Back in the early 1990s, I loved certain bands, but I didn't like their message or their lyrics. Then there was "Christian" music which had interesting lyrics, but crap music. (It's a lot better now in some cases.) I was having trouble finding music to believe in I guess. (Not in the idol sense, but in the expressive, artistic sense.)
Then a friend who loved U2 more than I did at the time, asked me to bring my Bible over. I did and he showed me all the verses that Bono took stuff from for the lyrics of "Until The End of the World."
That was one of the life changing events I've been through (I seriously mean that.) Here we had the coolest band, with the coolest music and they have lyrics from the Bible.
It taught me that I could be a Christian and not conform to the dry, cheesy Christian culture at the time. It made the faith relevant and I've been interested in Bono and the boys' faith ever since.

Speaking of relevant, Bono and U2 even influenced an organization called Relevant Media, that has Relevant magazine, books and clothes, among other things. They've been dubbed U2 Christians and have even published a book on U2's faith called "Walk On." Good stuff.

i became a u2 fan at the age of 6 and although at the time i was probably not all that aware of the implications of religion etc. they were an inspiration when i became a serious christian in my teenage years. despite having since left the faith, u2 remain an inspiration.

I think you may get more on this in Goal Is Soul, iron horse. Some folks who would have good things to say about this and don't tend to post in FYM frequent that forum.

This one is on the move. :up:

I would hope that no one would rely on a Rock star to influence their belief in God.

Bono himself has joked about not relying on him to lead the way.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:angel:

shart1780 said:
No. Their music has een emotional to me and all, but My faith has remained the same.

I don't believe Bono is saved BTW.

Why do you say that? I'm very curious.

Oh yes.

Only some people are saved, the elite club of people.

GIve me a break.

Faith in Jesus is the only commandment for us to be saved.

Now find something better than to comment on saved vs. unsaved

lmao at the "saved" comment. Like it is any of your business and you ever can know the state of someone else's soul. :tsk:

In response to the original question, I grew up in Christianity but U2's influence and Christian example helped me decide to come back to the faith when I was disillusioned with the hypocrisy and self-righteousness I had experienced within the so-called Church. So perhaps in a way they influenced my choice. God can work through many ways and means.

shart1780 said:
I don't believe Bono is saved BTW.

Is this the same shart1780 who posted a thread on @U2 on 7 July 2004 saying that Bono wasn't a good Christian because he drinks alcohol.

http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Action=Posts&Subject=1144&Topic=8&SubjStart=75

It's funny how shart considered Bono a Christian (albeit a bad one) on 7 July and now questions Bono's salvation.

So, how could Jesus call Himself the Son of God and drink alcohol shart...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Shart 1780, it's been 3 days and you haven't told us why you don't think Bono is saved. Please tell us; it's not nice to drop a bomb like that and then never explain your position.

Back
Top Bottom