God's Hand on U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trinity3000

Acrobat
When I was reading U2 by U2 I couldn't help but think that God really had his hand on this band from the beginning.

I think there were a lot of circumstances unique to U2 that could only have created a band like them because of those unique circumstances.

Firstly, here was a bunch of kids who were at a school that mixed Catholics and Protestants. And I think also of Bono's mixed religious background. I think that informed their quest for unity, reconciliation and peace.

Then there was the fact that even though they were Christians they didn't get swallowed up in the Christian music ghetto because they were Irish, where religion is just part of life.

Also the fact that they were such an ambitious group, who wanted to make it in a time when it wasn't cool to have mainstream popularity. And they met with Paul Mcguinness who wanted to take a baby band and see how far they could go. I think this happy union was a divine appointment. Especially considering how crap they were in thier early days... he could have easily passed over them.

I know they talk alot about God being in the room etc these days, but I really do believe God has been with them the whole time, and I'm sure they know it too.

I couldn't help but think the same thing as I read that book! It's just amazing how everything seemed to just fall into place in the early days. I don't think it was luck or chance that brought them together... or that keeps them together. God has been with them the whole time. :yes:

Yes! Definitely!
It's a miracle really when you think about it. The timing of everything, the wisdom of how they approached the music scene and how they didn't want to become "boxed in" or put into a particular category, especially CCM. They avoided labels and still do to some extent. This gives them the ability to appeal to such a large audience. They have critics from all corners and I guess that is a good thing because it means that they are doing something right, reaching so many people. What other group can say the same? This has always intrigued me about them, this wisdom which I totally believe is the handiwork of God.
Thank God for U2!

Hi folks
I think it's an exciting and amazing thing that one can begin to detect currents and patterns in ourselves as well as u2. I really love reading peoples insightful comments on this site. I'm fascinated were they might go from here. I've seen some critics like Eammon Dunphy calling albums such as ALTYCLB unoriginal, i think it's among there most soulful, intimate and compelling yet and who can argue with songs like sometimes you can't make it and Original of the species. They've been going so long but sound more connected to the moment than ever to me, god is in their recording studio i'm sure of it. Be great to hear from you folks, agree, disagree etc take care _ Jules

julesz said:
Hi folks
I've seen some critics like Eammon Dunphy calling albums such as ALTYCLB unoriginal, i think it's among there most soulful, intimate and compelling yet.

I've just realised i made a mistake here it was John Waters who as most people probably know wrote a highly regarded (by some) book called Race of Angels up to the zooropa period. I read an article in the Guardian shortly after HTDAAB came out claiming their subseqent work since zooropa was creatively coming up short. I'd be interested to know how much folks agree/disagree etc on this statement. Pop was a bit iffy perhaps with some great moments but in some ways some of the new material connects and feels so soulful, beleivable very real to me. I love the older stuff equally too, i am fascinated to see what they come up with Rick Rubin.

I just re-read U2 at the End of the World, and at the end of the book, there is a chapter where Bono talks about how as a teenager he was kinda lost and said to God, I'm willing and open, use me how you will. Or something along those lines.

He said within a couple of months he was going out with Ali and was in the band. He really believed that was God's will for him. He also said, that God can use people's weaknesses for his good.

Larry I think it was later on confided to Bill that they don't really know where the music is coming from, that it's not from them, and he believes it's a God given gift.

I've never read that book, but I remember reading those things somewhere. That's absolutely amazing. I can relate to being a teenager (since I am:wink:) and having no direction for your life. It's pretty clear that that prayer was all it took for God to say "Ok, now that you're willing; Get ready" I'm sure Bono didn't have the slightest clue really what his future held when he prayed that prayer. It just goes to show what God can do with a life when its surrendered to Him. I don't know if you have "U2 by U2" yet Trinity, but Bono really goes into quite a bit of detail of the horrible struggles he faced after his mother died. As for what Larry said, I couldn't agree more. I remember a 'Rolling Stone' issue after "Bomb" was released where Larry said something like, (cover your eyes, this is Goal!:wink:) "If we thought this was about us it would fuck us up, but it only happens when God walks through the room." Amazing quote!! It's nice to meet you Trinity. I'm Brittany, btw!:love:

Hi Brittany. :cool: Yes I have U2 by U2, I read it awhile ago now and lent it to a friend, so I don't have it on hand to look up that stuff.

I think its quite amazing too when you consider that Bono's nickname was the Antichrist when he was a teenager, because he was so out of control or whatever, and God used him in such an amazing way...

God used his energy and need for affirmation by making him one of the greatest front men ever. As well as his gift for arguing to take the cause of Africa to the world leaders.

Trinity3000 said:
Hi Brittany. :cool: Yes I have U2 by U2, I read it awhile ago now and lent it to a friend, so I don't have it on hand to look up that stuff.

I think its quite amazing too when you consider that Bono's nickname was the Antichrist when he was a teenager, because he was so out of control or whatever, and God used him in such an amazing way...

God used his energy and need for affirmation by making him one of the greatest front men ever. As well as his gift for arguing to take the cause of Africa to the world leaders.

Exactly!! (Although I believe the Antichrist nickname was from when he was a toddler/young child though:hmm: ) Anyway, if you recall Bono says something similar to what you just said in his intro. to "U2 by U2" I don't have my book with me at the moment either, but I'm getting it back tonight. I'll be able to find that exact quote later. I always love reading your posts, btw. You rock!:hug:

Back
Top Bottom