Giving things up for Lent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Why do some Christians give up things they like for Lent? Without a discussion on the validity of the the practice, can someone give me a simple explanation of the philosophy behind it?

Thank you.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Originally posted by martha:
Why do some Christians give up things they like for Lent?

Well, here is Bono's explanation of why he does, from a webchat at Adam's 40th birthday party....

dirtgirl asks: bono, have you given up anything for lent?
bono_live: Do you all know about the Christian practice of Lent? After the carnival - carne means meat, flesh, the celebration of the flesh, then Lent comes, the denial of the flesh.
bono_live: You give up something you love in order that when Easter comes, after 40 days, it comes back at you with new appreciation. I was following Lent until this afternoon.
bono_live: I have fallen off the wagon on the world wide web. I'm sure God will forgive me, I hope the rest of you will be as gracious.
==

There are many explanations for the practice circulating -- finding balance, being in touch with your own limits, staying mindful of getting ready for Easter, expressing the truth that you have a joy deeper than any of your favorite pleasures can bring you... etc.

Uh, that's my 2 cents...

while we're on this topic....

a priest suggested a while ago that we could supplement Lent by taking something up rather than giving something up. In the sense that every day you'll call your mother or say 10 more minutes of prayers or volunteer. something that improves your life *and* others.

giving up something is also a way to sacrifice something that is special to you, and as we resist doing that one thing every day, we are reminded of how Jesus gave up His life for us. at least I am. I gave up soda one year and didn't realize how ridiculously addicted I was to it, and trust me with every headache from caffiene withdrawal I remembered why I was doing it, which made it easier to handle.

------------------
"I sing sometimes, like my life is at stake,
'cause you're only as loud as the noises you make" -Ani

Take Me Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

Not being Catholic, I don't know for sure but could it possibly have something to do with Jesus spending 40 days in the desert without food? I'm talking about the time when he endured temptation from Satan and then after he had overcome his flesh and the devil, he began his ministry?

yes ocu2fan - that's the reason behind lent exactly. It is a recognition of the 40 days of fasting, stretching from Ash Wednesday to Easter.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

No see, I'm ashamed to admmit that I've always thought of giving things up for Lent as a "Catholic" practice.

In my family, everyone's a Catholic but my immediate family...

So while my *cousins* couldn't eat meat and stuff, we could. But I never really thought about it when I was younger except to say, oh, that's a *Catholic* thing. Which is wrong, but it's also understandable for a child to have that view....

------------------
I can't even say the bloody word Achhhhhtung Baby"--Larry

Yes, I'm giving up Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom