Get Lost In Worship - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Get Lost In Worship

From my daily devotional:

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” – Ephesians 3:20-21

Jonathan Edwards was born on October 5, 1703, in East Windsor, Conn. He received his undergraduate degrees from Yale University. In 1727, he was ordained and installed as assistant in the church of Solomon Stoddard, his grandfather, at Northhampton, Mass. When Stoddard died in 1729, Edwards became pastor. He is best remembered as one of the great preachers of America’s Great Awakening, a religious revival that swept the country.
Edwards first encountered God in an intensely experiential way while reading 1 Timothy 1:17: "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever." He was overcome with "a sense of the glory of the Divine Being; a new sense, quite different from anything I ever experienced before."
The only language that seemed adequate, as he later recorded in his Personal Narrative (c. 1739), was that of ecstasy: "I thought with myself, how happy I should be, if I might enjoy that God, and be wrapped up to God in heaven, and be as it were swallowed up in him." Deeply moved, Edwards retreated to "a solitary place" outdoors where, under a broad sky, he was again transfixed by "a sweet sense of the glorious majesty and grace of God, that I know not how to express."

Every so often, everyone should get caught up in glorious majesty and grace of Christ. Today in prayer, get lost in worshipping the Lord, focusing on His power to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.

nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Great idea

Old 10-16-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:10 AM
That's beautiful

MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:39 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Nice!!
verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
The biography noticeably omits what Edwards is most famous for--his sermon, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God," which coined the famous phrase, "fire and brimstone."

http://www.jonathanedwards.com/sermo...gs/sinners.htm

But, to be fair to Edwards, there is much that can be learned from him, regardless of whether you are an evangelical or liberal Christian.

http://www.union-psce.edu/news/Publi...it-valeri.html

Melon
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Thanks for the links Melon. Edwards was an interesting person. I like him; he did his best with human nature, with what he had, I think. That was tough. Although I have theological differences with him I think he was a true man of God. After all I am separated from him by a few centuries.
verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:40 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:10 AM
One thing that distinguishes Edwards from the caricature "fire and brimstone" preacher is that he spoke in a monotone. He felt that the power of God's Word alone would carry the message and did not want to interfere with God working through him.

The Sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” started a sweeping revival in New England.

nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote