Funeral song (how morbid, eh?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
I expect to live to be 120 years old, but I already have my song....my funeral "dirge"...picked to set the mood for my thousands of mourners..who will be weeping & "renting" their clothes.

What, you say, is this tune? Could it be "MoFo"? That would be appropriate, as some would surely have referred to me as such. Perhaps "Bullet the Blue Sky", which some would want to take literally in the event of my passing, venting their anger heavenward. No, no, no.

Actually (seriously), I want "Scarlet" to play to remind my family & thousands of admirers where I (hopefully) will be going, & perhaps warm their hearts. It's a great piece....VERY spiritual.

Hi,
that would be a very appropriate and moving piece for your funeral.
I have a question. Why do you say "hopefully" about where you'll be going?

I think One Tree Hill captures much of what I would want remembered at my funeral. Also, Streets would make an awesome funeral tune. I'd want people to rejoice that I was up "where the streets have no name."

I say "hopefully" mainly in jest, but with a hint of seriousness. From my religious background, you could never be 100% certain, so some times it's easy to say "hopefully."

I believe though, and I think that Christ's death was enough atonement, and nothing I can do will get me into heaven.

Well, there's my sermon.

G'day!

Originally posted by bonofnattic:
I say "hopefully" mainly in jest, but with a hint of seriousness. From my religious background, you could never be 100% certain, so some times it's easy to say "hopefully."
I believe though, and I think that Christ's death was enough atonement, and nothing I can do will get me into heaven.
Well, there's my sermon.
G'day!
ha, you beat me to it! Good for you!

...So, it is a time to Rejoice, at the funeral of a "Believer". Anyway, I know they did that piece during their "Shalom" days, but it's still one of my favorite. The drum-beat and the bass-line are very appropriate to what many would call a "minimalist" piece. I just find that song comforting. Very comforting.

Schuman's Unfinished Symphony. It's so beautiful, I could marry it. Or die to it...

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 03-06-2002).]

I don't think it's "morbid" at all, b-fnattic -- because I've had a running list for a long time of the music for my funeral. Music is such a HUGE part of who I am, that I really want to ... "speak to" my loved ones with the songs that mean the most. Having said that, a U2 song hasn't yet announced itself like the others: Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill was the first one (You can keep my things, they've come to take me Home...); some bluegrass hymns (The Stanley Brothers' Angel Band); the funeral movement from Beethoven's Seventh Symphony -- listen to that and you'll be LINING UP for Heaven!
biggrin.gif

Kite is a strong contender, since I used it for my father's funeral. So is Streets, after the Superbowl -- it has to be a version where Bono sings "dance, dance, dance..." The repeated choruses of Gloria would truly speak for my heart and my life -- roof-rattlin' rock'n'roll, a shout-out to God. And very possibly Grace. But I think I'll go ahead, thanks to your inspiration, fnattic, and add Scarlet.
smile.gif

peace,
Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you on an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:
Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill was the first one (You can keep my things, they've come to take me Home...); some bluegrass hymns (The Stanley Brothers' Angel Band); peace,
Deb D
I love Solsbury Hill! Haven't listened to it in years. I think I'll go for a drive so I can listen to it in my CD player!
Have you heard the Monkees' version of Angel Band? It is absolutely outstanding.

I've never really thought about U2 at my funeral, or any funeral at all.

A couple of weeks ago though, we had a very tragic murder here where the father killed his own daughter, finally after several years of threats and abuse, and that for the only reason that she had a swedish boyfriend (the family comes from Turkey and are curds).

Her funeral was shown on TV (this girl and her history has been in the media for many years and she has been a rolemodel for many young female immigrants, just so you don't think we send all funerals on TV
smile.gif
) and while watching parts of it her closest friends comes to say something but they can't so instead they decided to play her favourite song, One with U2. I can say that that song has never ever moved me like it did then. A more suitable song at that funeral doesn't exist I believe. I've never thought of it in that way, it was like she was talking to her father who killed her. Both in a very angry way and in a try to make him understand.

Just another story about how many angles U2's music can be seen from and ways they can be used in.
smile.gif

When it comes to me, I haven't really figured out what songs I'd like at my funeral, but I think I want happy ones.
smile.gif

The MONKEES???
Really?
I'd like to say, "I'll look for it!" but um, can't say exactly where...
tongue.gif

But thanks, 80s, I will.
biggrin.gif

Deb D
It's on their CD "Missing Links, Volume 3"

If it wasn't for Mike Nesmith's voice, you'd never dream it was the Monkees. It is VERY pretty.

The MONKEES???
Really?
I'd like to say, "I'll look for it!" but um, can't say exactly where...
tongue.gif

But thanks, 80s, I will.
biggrin.gif

Deb D
Just thought of something. I can turn it into an MP3 and email it to you if you'd like.

Miss Zooropa,

I read about the kurd girl who was murdered by her father. It was on the front page of the Los Angeles Times last week. That story really disturbed me. I thought you would want to know that that story reached our shores too.

very sad.

Back
Top Bottom