Faith, Hope & U2: The Spirit of Love in U2's Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
I came across the book, Faith, Hope & U2: The Spirit of Love in U2's Music by Henry VanderSpek, several months ago when I was looking to purchase the Walk On book. I was wondering if anyone has the book and has read it? If not, then there maybe some of you who may have an interest in another book on U2 and their faith. I have included the Introduction, as well as the chapters to wet the appetite possibly...I know it has for me. The writer is from Toronto, so that is why there are some typo marks in the introduction and contents that I'm unaware of, but I have left them as is. If there is an interest, I can include excerpts from each chapter for any further discussion you may wish to have on the book. If you would like to order the book, here is the website where you can order it at. http://www.dare-connexions.org/contact.html

Chris

Introduction

It?s been said that music is the language of the soul. All of us probably have songs that we carry in our hearts, that ring through our heads, and find their way onto our lips ? as a whistle on the street or as a bellow in the shower. Around the world, singing often passes the day for labourers harvesting fields. Music touches something deep in us as little else can.

I have intended this booklet to be an exploration of a music group which has touched millions of people for about twenty years now. Their songs have sought to connect with the heart of people, politics and everything in life that is worth being passionate about.

I want to look at the source from which the group and their inspiration has sprung. What motivates U2? What drives them to a creativity that crosses borders of the world and of the heart?

I first saw U2 as a young teenager in 1983 in Massey Hall, Toronto, and I have seen them at every successive visit to the city since. That first night I was struck by how U2 reached out to audience members, welcoming them on stage: a young man to play the guitar, a woman to slow dance with Bono. Reaching out and bridging gaps has consistently been a hallmark of the band.

This book is not an attempt to conform U2?s message to some narrow dogma. Their musical and lyrical influences have been many. I am choosing here to look at a single element that has run through all of their music, and which continues to be an inspiration for members of the band. It is an attempt to see what can be learned from taking a look at their career to date.

I want to approach this as a dialogue. While it might be easier to ignore or label what is difficult to understand, true dialogue means asking good questions and listening objectively to the answers given. I think the answers we?ll find will be intriguing. For those of faith it may mean expanding the ability to engage the world with a Christian mind. For those for whom faith is a non-issue, it may raise interest in what keeps U2 ?wide awake.?

Whatever the case may be, I suggest you use this booklet in an interactive way. Play the songs and read the lyrics (especially if you doubt what I am saying!), and even buy or rent the videos mentioned. Universal Music is not paying me to say this! I believe that by looking more closely at the message of U2 you will gain a deeper appreciation for the band and for the faith, hope and love found in their music.

I welcome your comments.

Henry VanderSpek

Contents:
Introduction
PART ONE:
Let Go, Let?s Go...Discotheque
A Fire in The Village
Under an October Sky
I Want to Run, I Want to Hide... An Album, a Movie...and a Backlash
Chopping Down The Joshua Tree
?Everything You Know Is Wrong? ? Achtung Baby

PART TWO:
?She Moves In Mysterious Ways...?
?I Have No Compass, and I Have No Map? ? Zooropa
?Lookin? For Baby Jesus Under the Trash? ? Pop-Mart
?Into the Heart?
Taking the Cup

Nice one, Chris!
A "scoop," even.
wink.gif
Now I'm instantly as hyper to read this one as I was Walk On. These boys do keep us busy...

thanks!
Deb D

I've read this online several times and even used it as a source for some of my theology project. Along with Stockman's writing on his website, this gave me some of my first glimpses into people writing about U2 and faith, which was really thrilling to me because at the time I thought I was the only one that sat around and thought about it.
biggrin.gif

-sula

Originally posted by follower:
Thanks Chris, I?m following you. But I?m getting worried...another book to be ordered, LOL. You?re leading me to bankruptcy!
wink.gif

not only that but not enough time! Sounds like a great compliment to Walk On, for sure.

This lept out at me: "For those of faith it may mean expanding the ability to engage the world with a Christian mind" that is compelling.

Back
Top Bottom