Et tu, Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed the subject of God is serious matter and everyone has individualistic concerns. I always have thought of God as trancending church . And when people look at the bible and take it too literally I worry . Cause if you take something like the Rapture serious and literal you visual this big hand reaching down and pulling you up to Heaven.. instead if seeing the message behind it. I worry when people look to those who have never asked to bee seen as example of Christanity instead of continuing to look towards their own faith .. God does not need anyones help judging who is and isnt living in his light I think he has that covered .
Why arent we more concerend with how we are helping each other?? Whats going to happen if all of these people are more worried about helping God and less focused on helping each other. I wonder if God is looking down going How did these people miss that message

Katey said:
Indeed the subject of God is serious matter and everyone has individualistic concerns. I always have thought of God as trancending church . And when people look at the bible and take it too literally I worry . Cause if you take something like the Rapture serious and literal you visual this big hand reaching down and pulling you up to Heaven.. instead if seeing the message behind it. I worry when people look to those who have never asked to bee seen as example of Christanity instead of continuing to look towards their own faith .. God does not need anyones help judging who is and isnt living in his light I think he has that covered .
Why arent we more concerend with how we are helping each other?? Whats going to happen if all of these people are more worried about helping God and less focused on helping each other. I wonder if God is looking down going How did these people miss that message

:up:. thrillme and Blacksword made excellent points, too.

I also thought this to be interesting:

Originally posted by marik
bono doesn't critisize others' forms. but this writer just wasted alot of time doing just that.

Very true.

Angela

Katey said:
God does not need anyones help judging who is and isnt living in his light I think he has that covered .
Why arent we more concerend with how we are helping each other??

You are right, God alone judges. Christians have a responsibility to love their neighbor, even if it means a loving rebuke based on God's Word. Are we helping someone if we stand by idly while they hurt themselves, either physically or spiritually?

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7

But there is a difference between a loving rebuke and juding someone. I have found that a huge number of fellow Christians cannot see this difference. We are called to stay in the trenches, judgement is an action which separates and makes a distinction between judge and judged. I have found in my experience that so many people cannot hate the sin and yet still love the sinner. The only time you separate yourself from someone exhibiting unrepentant immoral behavior is when said behavior is negatively affecting you or others. Other than that you stick it out. Yet how many church goers frequent the unchurched? not a lot. The organized church has a history of leaving the "sinners" to themselves not wanting to get their hands dirty or the sensibilities ruffled. How many people in the pews have gobe out of their way to try talking to drug addict on the street, not to preach a sermon but to simply love them and try to help them help themselves. Again I don't know any. And that includes myself. There is almost a cult of appearing virtuous rather than being virtuous. If you are virtuous then the appearance comes with it.

And you don't need to be a bombastic preacher spewing doctine to impact hearts. Bono's subtlety and is rufusal to be be an in your face Christian have long been criticised. Yet in my experience with most of people overt attempts to bring someone to God almost always backfire. It's surprising what simple statements like the fact that you do your best to go to a church regularly and read your Bible regularly, can have. Knowing when to speak and how to tailor your message to your audience are crucial skills. One speaks to a seeker and a skeptic in entirely different ways, and in my experience it is best to assume everyone is a skeptic at first, if they are a seeker it will become evident fairly soon. Going the other direction can quickly put a number of people on the defensive and create barriers. Fiery evangelism will always have its place but not for people who have to first be shown that they have need of a Saviour. And in our society that is quite a sizeable population, well in the majority I'd say.

Thus it becomes all the more imperative to avoid judgement as people are very unlikely to listen to someone who is judging them. Telling someone that you believe certain behaviors or attitudes of theirs are wrong will at most create a difference of opinion that if the other person is mature will at worst result in an agreement to disagree. Judgement produces a barrier because by definition it establishes that you are better than the other.

Blacksword said:
But there is a difference between a loving rebuke and juding someone.

I agree. And the difference is missed both ways. Too often I see a loving rebuke (or constructive criticism) attacked as "judging".

Pride is what gets in the way.

nbcrusader said:

I agree. And the difference is missed both ways. Too often I see a loving rebuke (or constructive criticism) attacked as "judging".

Pride is what gets in the way.

To me the line between a judgement and and a rubuke is that the rubuke is directed towards behavior or attitudes while a judgement is directed towards the person.

Also..doesn't loving rebuke only really occur in a community? One reason I question this article is because I question the writer's motives. Did she say this out of love for Bono...or because it made her feel better about her own walk with God. That being said...Bono has said some things about Christians that seemed kind of judgemental...put it this way...both Bono and this writer have made mistakes....

I guess you can sit and throw stones all day or you can try and make your life better and stop judging others which is not all that easy to do in the end.. its comfortable, fixing our own problems is not.. I guess sometimes it's always easier to look to others to find fault then look witihin oursleves ( i am as guilty of that as anyone) . of course Bono's not without fault nor this writer nor any of us.. I just thing one's faith is a private matter and as long as Bono is not claiming to be a temple of God or an instrument of God ( which he is not , other people tend to label him sometimes) then good on him for walking through it like the rest of us.. It's hard enough to find your faith on your own without people jumping all over you telling you what you are.. Godspeed Bono

Back
Top Bottom