Essay on U2 Yahweh -- warning long and very religious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ltcf said:

Question for those of Jewish faith: do you also refrain from saying the name Jehovah out loud? I'm curious about that.

I personally will say that word as I do not believe that it has any spiritual significance. The only time I would say it is when speaking of Jehovah's witnesses; I don't see that being an interchangable name of G-d. The Jewish religion does not count that as one of the names of G-d.

I recently came accross this post. THank you! It's very excellent. I've always had a tremedous love for this song. I find it filled with a message of hope.

got2k9s said:
I definitely see your point. I just wonder if, when Bono was writing the lyrics, he was thinking of the U.S.?

The one thing that might be a slight difference (again, slight) is that the U2 lyric says, "this city should be shining on a hill," and when I read that, the emphasis seems to be on "this" and "shining" rather than "shining city," does that make sense? Re-reading it sort of sounds like jibberish, ha ha!

Jerusalem seems to fit more with the theme of the song, but you never know . . .

Hmmm, neat - I just did a quick Internet search of these words, "Jerusalem shining hill" and I ran across these song lyrics:

Rejoice O Israel

I behold a city on a hill

A nation torn by war

But in that place Jehovah says

His grace has been poured forth

There is a "city on a hill" reference in the Beatitudes, Matthew 5:

1 When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him.

2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 ‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 ‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 ‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 ‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 ‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely* on my account.

12 'Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

13 ‘You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot.

14 'You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden.

15 'No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house.

16 'In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.........

I've always thought of the "Yahweh" lyrics in reference to either Jerusalem, or Jerusalem as a metaphor for Christians in general, which I think is how it's used above.

At the Omaha show, Bono changed the lyrics at the end from:

take this heart
and make it break

to:

take this heart
and keep it safe.

I remember being surprised because I was singing along, and when coming to that part I was wondering if I was the one remembering the lyrics wrong. Has he done this at any of the other shows anyone's been to?

Back
Top Bottom