Do you believe in fate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting question. I believe in it in one kind of way, I think.
If you see your life as a labyrinth(?), you get options, depending on what you choose, life turns out different. There is one way though that you are "supposed" to go that will give you the most out of life, good and bad. You can make choices that leads you out of the planned trail but later you will get options that will lead you back if you then make the "right" decisions. Sometimes you realize that you made a wrong decision and you go into a dead end (take your career for ex, how many times haven't most tried different things just to find out it was wrong and they had to go back).

I have a few of these trails that are very obvious to me now, where I made the perfect choices and that has made me grow as a person and it was very small, almost daily, decisions but had great impact on my life as I see it today.

I don't know if this is just a comfort for me to believe in this but there have been too many "coincidents" in my life on the same "trail" for me to neglect it.

God has made your fate but you have free-choice apparently, like with dinner, God has ordained that you will eat dinner, but you have to decide between soup and salad
smile.gif

This is where I've gotten confused. If fate exists, is fate God? Does God plan for you to do these things?

Does fate/detiny/God plan for killers, murderers, etc? How about henious crimes (rape, incest, etc)? If your path is pre-determined, then why should these people be punished for their crimes?

Judas turned in Jesus, yet went to heaven. Why? Because God had planned it. He So how do we know that murder, etc isn't planned by God/fate?

If this is true then there is no free choice. We are given a path to follow. Granted, there are tiny decisions, like breakfast, etc, but things like war are pre-planned? (Unless MissZooropa's arguement is true. In which case, paths are planned, but we choose which path to follow. But still, if choosing apth leads us to some pre-ordained fate, how can we be blamed?) If these things, war, disease, death, are determined in advance, how can there be hope in the world? How can we even attempt to hope for good, peace on earth, a cure for cancer, when it is all really part of some master plan?

I believe in God, but I often get into these arguements. I'm curious to find out what people think about this topic though, cause it's baffled me for years. Is it in the right forum?

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
God has made your fate but you have free-choice apparently, like with dinner, God has ordained that you will eat dinner, but you have to decide between soup and salad
smile.gif

time we had this conversation again?

I've come to one realisation.

Sweetest T is a big questions person. I like that. If we question, we at least are still breathing.
The trick is to keep breathing

I think we are all walking along a sandy path. The path has forks all over it. Some lead to cherry blossoms, others lead to broken and dead twigs, while some just take you to pear trees.
Pear trees are ok but they aren't cherry blossoms.
Nobody wants twigs but sometimes what leads us to twigs is a little thing called BAD DECISION MAKING. But before we get to the twig path how do we know, you know?
There aren't any signs that say "Cherry Blossoms this way, twigs that way".
I know for one thing I don't want to end up down pear lane because I'm too scared to follow what I know could bring me to cherry blossom lane for the fear that it may be twig lane.
Thats always the gamble and I'm way off topic now.
We have choices but i do think there are certain things we can't change happening.
Its up to us to take the risks to get those cherry blossoms though, thats for sure.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
I've come to one realisation.

Sweetest T is a big questions person. I like that. If we question, we at least are still breathing.
The trick is to keep breathing

I think we are all walking along a sandy path. The path has forks all over it. Some lead to cherry blossoms, others lead to broken and dead twigs, while some just take you to pear trees.
Pear trees are ok but they aren't cherry blossoms.
Nobody wants twigs but sometimes what leads us to twigs is a little thing called BAD DECISION MAKING. But before we get to the twig path how do we know, you know?
There aren't any signs that say "Cherry Blossoms this way, twigs that way".
I know for one thing I don't want to end up down pear lane because I'm too scared to follow what I know could bring me to cherry blossom lane for the fear that it may be twig lane.
Thats always the gamble and I'm way off topic now.
We have choices but i do think there are certain things we can't change happening.
Its up to us to take the risks to get those cherry blossoms though, thats for sure.

Wow, that was great expressed. it's something like this I meant too, I just didn't express it as nice.

Can i add a bit amanda?

There's no point standing still on the path because you fear twig lane or the pear tree.
Keep on moving... there is no map, but there is also nothing to say that twig lane is really the lower part of Cherry Blossom avenue. You just have to walk across an intersection to get there.

I have to believe in fate in a way. Imagine taking two people here at interference as babies at birth. Looking at these babies, what are the odds that they would meet and communicate and possibly become firends at some point in their lives? Millions to one at the very least.

I guess U2 must ask sometimes if what they do is bigger than the sum of the four members, like a lot of things in life.

Originally posted by zoomerang II:

I have to believe in fate in a way. Imagine taking two people here at interference as babies at birth. Looking at these babies, what are the odds that they would meet and communicate and possibly become firends at some point in their lives? Millions to one at the very least.

That just blew my mind.
My head is spinning around and I can't make it stop.

Amanda, that was awesome.

I believe in fate, but much like how Amanda phrased it. I don't believe that our entire future is laid out in one straight path. I believe that our fate is altered with each choice we make. Hmm, I don't really make any sense, but I believe that the greater whole of our being, our successes and failures are in a small way predetermined. We have a destiny that is unchangeable, but how we get there is. I think if you die at age 31, that is your destiny for example. But how you die, or how you lived up until that point is part of our ever changing fate.
Argh! This sounds so crazy.

To simplify---> "What is meant to be will be". I believe in that.

Deep. Y'all are great. I think things are meant to be, like a script. I don't believe the future is unwritten like Doc Brown told Marty McFly, but it would be better that way. I just think things good or bad are meant to be. I've seen too many signs. It's not a good thing, it's scary. But you know I believe it.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

I don't believe that things are pre-determined. Like the Calvinistic belief of pre-destination That would be as if to say that you are born into a position that you can't escape... I believe there are two possible outcomes waiting at the end of the road, and which one we eventually meet depends on the choices we make. I also believe that God forsees our destination, but he doesn't inflict it upon us. He intervenes in attempt to sway us in the right direction. If we're aware of this, then our freedom of choice will be quite beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom