Did U2 bring you to faith? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:41 PM
Did U2 bring you to faith?

I've read posts around this forum where people mention that they were brought to faith through their love of U2.

Does anyone want to share their story?

Trinity3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Back about nine and half years ago I went through a quite spiritually dark time and had basically degressed to an agnostic view on life. One night however..(and this is where the u2 comes in..lol) I was listening to a band I had just gotten interested in..and realized that their songs were really affecting me...and a good part of the reason was because they involved a relationship with God..something I thought I didn't care about anymore.

Anyway, that night I cried and prayed repeatedly for God to reveal himself to me. Strangely, throughout that week, total strangers and acquaintances began asking me about my beliefs and sharing their faith with me. For example, I had one believer who I hadn't talked with before come up to me out of the blue and asked me if I went to church. All in all I counted 6 or 7 people who shared their faith with me unprompted. This week is still very vivid to me. I believe God answered my prayer that week and I am beyond grateful that he did...that he let me into his presence....

popsadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 09:41 PM
I wouldn't exactly say "brought me to the faith" but U2 certainly helped...especially with "Tomorrow" from October..."Open Up, Open Up To The Love Of God..."
Wow, that was the early 80's...so long ago.
Harry Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 01:41 PM
Ironically, the opposite.
butter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by butter7
I'm curious to know how / why?
The Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Quote:
Ditto, sort of. Forever I believe whatever everyone around me believe. Living in a conservative Dutch community of people still thinking like Dutch Protestantism circa 1850, I was basically living in a bubble.

Because of U2 I was able to let go of parts of my "faith" that were only holding me back and closing people off. I also went to Africa and did some soul searching. That lead to more questions than answers, but all my life I thought I'd had answers and am just now asking the questions...

I'm still a Christian, just a different kind.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fiddler

I'm curious to know how / why?
I've beening thinking this whole afternnon whether I should reply or not. Just don't want to offend people in any way at all. Usually I don't have the American courage to use the "free speech" anywhere, anytime.

So if you felt that you might not want to read the following contents, please ignor it. I don't want to see anyone bashing here.

Thank you.

----------------------------Start of fire line--------------------------------------

Okay, now you've go cross the line, and let me try my best to make it straight and simple.

the answer for 'Why?'

If God loves people, we probably won't have U2 at all. There would be no sunday bloody sunday, bullet the blue sky, pride, running to stand still, mother of the disappeared, Miss Sarajevo...etc, etc. Examples? Your parents might turn a blind eye when you do your daily fight with your brother or sisters, but kill them?

If God is that powerful that he could reach whatever goal he had, then at least what he would do is correct the defect human souls, the faulty products directly from his factory, and the 33 kids and teachers wouldn't die in the classroms, under the gun of their schoolmate.

The answer for 'How?'

What U2 really taught me is not sit back on my armchair, reading novels and ignor the hunger on the street, because I had too much in the dinner; to look at the world, do the research on the problems and try to find the solution. And we can fix the problems if we work closely with each other.

What U2 didn't taught me is to pray my ass off for some help that it has its own existence-problem hasn't sort out yet, and wait to die.

---------------------------------End of fire line-----------------------------------

Safe zone for everyone...

I'm not into religion ever since I was a little kid. I simply believe everyone was borned free, and we have to contribute our best to make the world a better place, therefore I could not stand most of the religous stories and stuff.

Band member's religious belief won't bother me, as long as they don't go across the line; be happy with their lifes, sometimes release a new album for the fans, there's nothing else I'd ask for.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Thank you for your honest answer
The Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
45:33

Local Time: 12:41 PM
It has helped. I am still an athiest, and I think I always will be. But my mind has been opened up much more through U2's music.
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
The Fly

Quote:

If God loves people, we probably won't have U2 at all. There would be no sunday bloody sunday, bullet the blue sky, pride, running to stand still, mother of the disappeared, Miss Sarajevo...etc, etc. Examples? Your parents might turn a blind eye when you do your daily fight with your brother or sisters, but kill them?

If God is that powerful that he could reach whatever goal he had, then at least what he would do is correct the defect human souls, the faulty products directly from his factory, and the 33 kids and teachers wouldn't die in the classroms, under the gun of their schoolmate.

Well how I see it is that God gave everyone free will. God shouldn't be blamed for all the evil things men do.
That's just my point of view.
emzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 02:41 PM
not really, although i was aware of their spirituality and was into their music. however, after i became a christian, they became a crucial part of my relationship with god, and like liesje said previously, have helped in challenging me to see my faith in a new light, to recognise its true, often distorted shape instead of just accepting the prescribed view offered to me. they've led me to ask many questions, but, funnily enough, these questions have actually strengthened my faith - i've let go of seeing things in black and white absolutes (which i don't normally do but was unquestioningly following) - it makes life a whole lot easier/harder to realise that life is anything but a series of absolutes, i think i've discovered the colour in my spirituality.

/end rant. sorry guys!
andberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:41 PM
I've been a Believer since I was 6, so I wouldn't say they brought me to faith. However they've definitely helped me more than any pastor, church leader, or even family member (Many pastors, and family have been big helps though!!) I feel like I've been going through a transition in my relationship with God. I haven't been spending the time in prayer and Bible study (personal) as I used to. I feel like they've kep me holding on. I see such an outpouring of the Love and Grace of Jesus in their lives. I've learned to loosen up from their passionate faith. It's not about me, it's not about my perfection, it's about what God did for me. Their example of surrender and pure trust WHILE questioning has inspired me, and their music is simply pure love and adoration of God to me. It's indescribable!! Thank God for them!
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by emzz

Well how I see it is that God gave everyone free will. God shouldn't be blamed for all the evil things men do.
That's just my point of view.
Many many people share the same opinion with you, believe me on this.

If God can see the things and still let them happen by saying that it's their free will, then you should follow him.

For instance, you walked pass by a dark street and see a guy raping a girl, and you should be able do what God did, walk away doing nothing, without guilt. Because it was the guy's free will to rape, and it was your free will to walk away.

If we all believers, no one would balme you.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
Acrobat

The difference is that God has knowledge that we don't have. God sees all time at the same time. God, as the Judeo Christian tradition believes in is omniscient and omnipresent. Humans are confined to time and since we are, we are supposed to do the thing that seems right in the moment. God isn't bound by time.....what might seem 'right' at the moment might not be right according to God all time seeing eyes.
popsadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
War Child

So that proved he did know what exactly happened during the wars, he just ignored the death right? And for that he still not getting the blame?

Good on him to ignor the twin tower crush, 33 kid killed in the campuse. Or should we say, these people died because God simply want them to die?

Guess who is the biggest murderer of all time?

It's also interesting to think if God will get everything done when it need to be done, then we have completely no need to save the extincting animal species (because if he want them to live, he could have already done that); no need to fight for poverty and AIDs (because God want these Arican to die). No matter what we do, it's competely right, because if God didn't say no to you, you can assume that you've got the permission and what you did would be good in the long run which only God could see.

Anyone want to rob a bank? God is with you.