Conversing with God?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Do you think it is possible to talk to God? I'm not talking about something as vague as an accident near-miss, which could be attributed to either God or coincidence, nor am I necessarily talking about conscious visions where you see God standing in front of you.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I believe I have conversed with God before. In fact, last night, I had a dream that I believe revealed the nature of God on morality, which I had prayed for an answer very deeply before I had gone to sleep. It wasn't specific as in God literally telling me what to do, but in a dream that had a very personal and specific message that I would not have thought of otherwise. And this isn't the first time...I've felt God's presence and had equally vaguely specific messages for probably my entire life.

It is certainly hard to describe, but do you believe that God intercedes enough in our world as to give us "visions," etc.?

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

hey melon --
I think it's what's poetically known as the "still, small voice." Yes, of course, I think we get to converse with God. Sometimes -- maybe you've had this experience -- the very words you're seeking come out of someone else's mouth. The movies like to use that one, but it happens in real life; and sometimes, the words just come, inside your head but as crystal clear as if someone beside you uttered them. And sometimes in dreams, especially if you've explicitly asked.
God is perfect consciousness. God hears, and responds, I think, when our hearts and minds, our consciousness, are open. And I gotta add... more and more often, I converse with Jesus. Often with my eyes closed, in prayer or meditation, I feel his presence like a person in the room. And the "conversation" is entirely wordless (well, sometimes, I talk aloud) -- he talks to me intuitively. I hear intuitively... it's kinda cool, really.
Other spiritual answers I've sought came as the distinct sensation of arms around me, or as physical sensations in the ground beneath my feet (sorry, couldn't resist) -- oh yeah, if we're open to the language of God, God will talk.
(Amen, brother.)

Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Yes. Yes I do. I was at the lowest point I had been not too long ago. I actually prayed for help (pretty rare at that time that I prayed at all). A few nights after that I had a dream in which I was chosen to go sit in an auditorium to ask one question to Bono. The other people were asking trivial questions--how's the band, what's next, etc. When I raised my hand, Bono looked at me and said "You'll be ok, everything will be fine." It was oddly comforting.
I copied and pasted that, but I am going to add more since I feel a bit more secure in here than in FYM.

The reason why I was at the place with the auditorium anyway, was because my friend and I were going to see U2 play. I got pulled away from my friend. When Bono came on stage, he had three people helping him walk. He was all beat up and sweaty and just looked terrible. He couldn't even keep his head up. When he said everything would be fine, he extended his hand which was SO huge, and unlike the rest of his body was pink and healthy looking. I took it sort of as that's what I had done to my spirituality by neglecting it for so long. It scared me, I didn't want to lose God. But then I realize, I already had. I hadn't prayed for YEARS! I was neglecting Him, and I thought that's probably why I was so depressed all the time. Re-discovering my faith has made me feel more content in my soul, and I look at that dream as the one thing that 'saved' me.

P.S sula and spanish: I wanna thank you two again for making Goal is Soul. I love it here! It's a place where I feel comfortable talking about what I do and do not believe, and for me, that's a rare place. So, thanks!

I agree with Deb...tho God may not talk to people today like He did back in the OT/NT (I could be wrong!), from my own perspective, there is no denying that God speaks to me. I have had too many things happen at too many times in my life, in very DETAILED response to some of my prayers, my thoughts, or just passing "wishes." When each of were "answered" it never ceased to just blow me away. God really takes care of his kids, and tho we may not hear him they way we hear another human voice, if we listen with our hearts, we'll hear his "still, small voice."

Melon, I too have had "conversations" with God or Jesus in my dreams, but nothing as profound as what you experienced. However, remember what it says in the Bible: Acts 2:17
"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams."

smile.gif

I am very familiar with that passage in Acts.

Part of me, of course, wonders if I'm just crazy? If my mind is ultimately making all this up?

I've wondered, often, if I am what they now term an "intuitive," which seems to be a step below a "psychic." No, I can't play Miss Cleo parlor tricks, but I've always had this great sense of intuition and a sense of foreboding. Assuming that the above is true, I feel that the puzzle pieces of "the end" is currently setting stage.

I don't know...I'm not about to be as brash as to say that I know that for sure, for maybe I am crazy, but I am constantly reminded of what Jesus stated in the gospels that He would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days. I feel that such a statement is coming more applicable in the coming years.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Back
Top Bottom