can you imagine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

War Child
Can you imagine how it feels to believe in Christ and be so uncomfortable with Christianity? The church is an empty, hollow building. It's the edifice. The established church is the edifice of Christianity. It is as if when the spirit of God leaves a place, the only things that are left are the pillars of rules and regulations to keep the roof on. (Bono, U2)

Every once in a while Bono says or sings things that remind me of the Gospel of Thomas...which is odd considering Bono's partially Catholic roots...but cool!

I know what he's saying, but I still don't believe that the spirit of God has left the building, the church, or however you want to say it. It's there as long as we put the effort into keeping it there. If you let others take it out for you so to speak, I think you're giving up.

I haven't given up yet. I'm sure I'll be pummeled for saying this, but it's just my viewpoint. In many ways I am uncomfortable w/ certain things about Christianity, but I can't throw away everything else because of it. I know that's not what he's saying.

You can't judge all Christians by the actions and words of some.

no you can't judge christianity by the acts of a few others.. Every has to have there own view.. he is not judging.. I think that is just how he feels.

I can understand that.. What angers me when the Vatican or other religious have stuck so tightly to they rules that they fail to send a message"Love thy neighbour" . When I hear the words out a priests mouth " Africans have been living a life of sin, we muct accept the consequences of our actions, this is the life they have chosen " It makes me sick to my stomach literally.. sure thsoe were the words of one man .. but I heard no repremand from the Vatican..

There are so many things that I feel that are wrong with how I see the catholic church .. but I have never once doubted God , not once have I fallen away from my faith in him.. just the church

I know what you're saying Katey, and I share your frustration.

But the church needs people like you.. of course I understand how you feel. Believe me, I do. It's your own choice how to reconcile your feelings, and I never presume to judge anyone who feels the way you do.

It's just ironic and hurtful, really. I've moved beyond anger I think to just expecting it (Christianity) to let me down. And maybe that's worse, and sadder, for that to be what I've come to expect.

My friend Nicole basically summed up my feelings on it the other day. She posted (on another board), "I detest Christian music (if it is sold and portrayed as such), Christian books, and Christian church, and I wouldn't call myself a Christian if I was paid. My faith is stronger than it has ever been."

Still, it's sad that that's how things are.

I have never given up on God .. it is religion that I do have a problem with.. I still consider myself to be Christian it's not something I would walk away from . I just don't feel like I said I have to go to church to find God, that doesnt mean I never go.. sometimes it is a refuge for even my soul, sometimes I just feel safe.

As a cardinal at the Vatican has said " this devil of which you speak he works in mysterious ways, even this temple the vatican can be penetrated by his smoke and somtimes he roams freely, it is our job to cast him out, he is sneaky and he is relentless and he disguises himself sometimes as one in which people seek refuge. Our souls must be strong and we must not waiver our faith in God"

Bono saw what religion could do .. living in Ireland he saw it at it's worst .. at least what people could do in the name of religion

Back
Top Bottom