Call me naive, but..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Call me naive, but.....

Call me naive, but shouldn't this statement from Noel Gallagher of "Oasis" clear things up for most "doubting Thomases" of Bono's faith? I'm speaking of those, who feel Bono doesn't mention salvation enough. He has many times, but that's another thread. This is from something Bono told Noel Gallagher during a private witnessing exchange that no one would've known about if Gallagher hadn't mentioned it to an interviewer who I assumed asked him about Bono. Pay attention to what he says Bono's "religious philosophy" is. That sounds like salvation to me. What are your thoughts?

"According to Noel Gallagher, he had said to Bono: "Look, you believe in
it all...I'm Catholic same as you. Can you explain it to me?" Gallagher
told Sunday Times writer Robert Crampton: "We had a good three-hour
conversation about his religious philosophy, which is basically,'Go to
God, tell Him what all your flaws are and say, 'Can you work with
me?'..."

"And [Bono's] dad had just died. How difficult must that be? Takes time out because two people were interested. What a guy."
-
"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Who are these doubting Thomas' you keep inferring to?

I've only heard of 2 people in my life really question his faith and both were in here, and both had questionable mental health...

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Everywhere. I've looked at many blogs and read many articles that try to discredit Bono's faith. It's not hard to find actually. God Bless!

"What no man can own...No man can take."-Yahweh-U2
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Honestly I couldn't care less about anyone doubting or questioning or discrediting Bono's faith- his belief, trust, and confidence in his own faith is all that really matters. Everything else is just jibber jabber.
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Honestly I couldn't care less about anyone doubting or questioning or discrediting Bono's faith- his belief, trust, and confidence in his own faith is all that really matters. Everything else is just jibber jabber.

What a waste of time and space, for anyone to devote their blog to discrediting someone else's faith. There's a reason it's called faith - no one else is supposed to understand another person's faith. You can go after someone's theology or how they practice religion, but one person's faith is no one else's biznazz.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
War Child

Personally, I'm starting to conclude that people who question another persons faith actually are having problems with their own faith...not that they will ever admit it!
kimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:40 AM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kimby
Personally, I'm starting to conclude that people who question another persons faith actually are having problems with their own faith...not that they will ever admit it!

Absolutely correct!!! Well said
Carek1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kimby
Absolutely. And if they spent half the energy looking at their own faith as they use attacking other people's faith, they'd get their own questions answered.
Sue DeNym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think people can take away faith's credibility when they start expecting explanations, affirmations, whatnot.

It is all relative. One person's faith can be different than the next...I agree that there is absolutely noting wrong with that.
redhotswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

There is a time for all things under the sun, and one of those things is questioning someone's faith.

And no - I'm not talking about Bono. He has shown many evidences of his faith.

But do we question someone's faith if the person claims to be a Christian but never shows any evidence? IE: he cheats on his wife, his taxes, he curses his boss daily, he makes racial slurs?

Doesn't the Bible say that Christians are known by (1)their fruit and (2) their love?

Haven't we read and heard stories about pastors who led their flocks astray?

Do we always just take it at face value? Do we believe that someone has faith just because that person says he does?
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, I don't think I'd feel comfortable subjecting one's faith to my own. Besides, the whole "judge not lest ye me judged" really tells me so.

Granted when one of my friends cheats on his/her partner, curses boss, makes racial slurs, I am the first to call him/her out on it, but I never make a judgement on his/her faith. That is up to him/her to decide whether they are not being faithful.

I didn't include taxes because that is between the gov't and my friend. "Lend to God what is God's lend to Caesar what is Caesar's." God owns everything. Caesar owns nothing. "You have no power except what is given to you from Him." I could care less about the taxes.

Besides, what is so wrong with believing in people? Even if they are at a rough point in their lives, sure, we can call them out, and help them a bit, but I would never question their faith. They know within their hearts whether their relationship to God has diminished.
redhotswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
Well, I don't think I'd feel comfortable subjecting one's faith to my own. Besides, the whole "judge not lest ye me judged" really tells me so.

Granted when one of my friends cheats on his/her partner, curses boss, makes racial slurs, I am the first to call him/her out on it, but I never make a judgement on his/her faith. That is up to him/her to decide whether they are not being faithful.

I didn't include taxes because that is between the gov't and my friend. "Lend to God what is God's lend to Caesar what is Caesar's." God owns everything. Caesar owns nothing. "You have no power except what is given to you from Him." I could care less about the taxes.

Besides, what is so wrong with believing in people? Even if they are at a rough point in their lives, sure, we can call them out, and help them a bit, but I would never question their faith. They know within their hearts whether their relationship to God has diminished.
Well said! I agree with you, and 80sU2. First off, w/80s example we can look at some thing a person is doing and say, to them "I don't know if you were aware of this, but The Bible says this is wrong" or something along those lines. That is something we should do, even more so if one claims to be part of the Body of Christ. However, as redhotswami pointed out, if we go any further than that and start saying "You're not a Believer" or "Your heart isn't right" then we cross a line that should not be crossed, a line expressly forbidden by The Bible and the words of Jesus Himself. Going back to Bono, that is the thing that angers me most. I have been on many message boards and blogs that are supposedly "Christian" and I've never seen so many judgemental, self-righteous people in my life. I think, "No wonder the world wants nothing to do w/the Jesus most of us reflect." I really have nothing to more to say. It's just my 2 cents. God Bless!!

Currently Listening: "The Sweetest Thing"/U2