Bono's views on eastern religions? (Version II) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Bono's views on eastern religions? (Version II)

Since the other "Bono's views on Eastern religions?" thread descended into an all out theological slugfest while few actually addressed the main topic, I decided to hit the reset button and attempt to present the question again. This time please try your best to actually address the main question without resorting to a heated debate on Judeo-Christian doctrine interpretation or who goes to hell . I know that the question may have already been answered on the last thread, but hay, no harm in doing it again! Besides, I really do want what Bono does think of eastern religions (if he as any)!

Now here's the original topic which has been "slightly edited" to prevent explosions happening. Note: I'm not blaming anyone for the last thread, so don't attack me on that .

While reading the "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true... " thread, a question came up in my mind: what does Bono think about eastern religions (ie. Buddhism, Hinduism, Toasm, etc)? For someone who has such a deep spiritualy connection, its surpring that he speaks so little about a big chunk of religions human beings practice.

I remember Bono saying during an interview:

"I think the Dalai Lama says", 'Begin with death, start from there, and you won't go far wrong.' "I don't think he was just having a bad day."

That's all I remember know, apart from a "Grace vs. Karma" discussion he had once before.

Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:37 PM
First, I do not read Bono's statement about "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed..." to mean that the three religions are equal.

Second, I have not heard a statement by Bono that would lend any credibility to Eastern religions.

nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 AM   #3
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:37 AM
No reading material to go off here, but I cannot imagine him disregarding such religions. He is not that kind of person, it seems. So hard to judge when we dont know him, but his compassion and ability to accept would almost contradict a belief that eastern religion was not credible.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Babyface

Yeah its always dangerous to try and get into someones else head, so you have to go on what they say the best you can (and try not to take out of context or read to much into it). That being said however, I think its clear while he respects eastern religions, he certainly respects Ghandi, he quotes him in the HTDAAB album book, he does not seem to 'elevate' these religions to the status of Christianity. As said elsewhere, 'Conversations' gives you a pretty good glimpse into feelings on religions. He clearly thinks Grace (a Christian concept) is superior to karma (a more eastern concept. Also he says while Bhudda, Mohammed, etc. were great teachers, none of them were divine, as is Christ in the Christian tradition. So he clearly thinks highly enough of some of the teachings of eastern traditions enough to quote them in 'public' i.e. print, he also seems to imply Christianity is 'the truth.'
BrianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Refugee

Bono is undeniably a Christian, but I would think that he respects other people's rights to their own beliefs, even if he doesn't agree with those beliefs.

And the "your religion sucks" approach that some Christians take is TOTALLY the wrong way to spread the Gospel!
Sue DeNym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
War Child

I'll say the same thing that I did in the last thread. As much as I have read on Bono, I haven't came across anything other than what has already been stated. I guess you'll just have to ask him yourself.
2Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
First, I do not read Bono's statement about "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed..." to mean that the three religions are equal.

Second, I have not heard a statement by Bono that would lend any credibility to Eastern religions.
I'm sorry...I don't usually come in here, and even more rarely post here, but this comment is just funny to me.

A statement by Bono that would lend any credbility to Eastern religions? WTF? Bono is now the authority on what is and isn't a credible religion?

Sorry if my post helps send this thread veering off again, Halifax. That just stuck me as amazingly funny. I'll go away now.
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
Acrobat

I heard bono say that all religon should be banned, apart from catholicisim....
aussiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
Refugee

i don't think this thread was started to say that Bono is the source that bestows credibility...i think it's just about if Bono believes these other philosophies have credibility....
blueyedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
WTF? Bono is now the authority on what is and isn't a credible religion?

No, but that is the topic of the thread
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Can you see why your first post came across as rather pious and non accepting, to those who aren't Christian?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:02 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:37 PM
I too was a bit struck by the choice of the word "credible". While I think I understand what was meant, it does have a rather negative connotation and could be insulting to those who find their worldviews and beliefs quite credible.

sulawesigirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Good grief, people. NB used the word "credibility", but by looking at the context of what he and others have said, I was able to deduce that what he meant was that Bono hadn't said anything in support of Eastern Religion.
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

In the book U2 at the End of the World, Flanagan talks about how Bono isn't into New Age mysticism because it has views "at odds with his Christian beliefs."
nathan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I too was a bit struck by the choice of the word "credible". While I think I understand what was meant, it does have a rather negative connotation and could be insulting to those who find their worldviews and beliefs quite credible.
To my knowledge, Bono has not made a statement that would lead someone to follow any Eastern religion.

If we are not pluralistic, we are pious?