Bono's views on eastern religions? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Bono's views on eastern religions?

While reading the "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed, it's true... " thread, a question came up in my mind: what does Bono think about eastern religions (ie. Buddhism, Hinduism, Toasm, etc). For someone who has such a deep connection with spirituality, its surpring that he speaks so little about a big chunk of religions human beings practice.

I remember Bono saying:

"I think the Dalai Lama says", 'Begin with death, start from there, and you won't go far wrong.' "I don't think he was just having a bad day."

It clearly wasn't anything hostile and he probably used it to support whatever he was saying. I would imagine that Bono would probably have respect for eastern religions, and he definitely does not seem like the "people who practice other religions will burn in hell" type of Christian.

Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Halifax
I would imagine that Bono would probably have respect for eastern religions, and he definitely does not seem like the "people who practice other religions will burn in hell" type of Christian.
This stereotyping and often demonising (I'm not necessarily accusing you of this Halifax) of Christians who believe Christ is the only way to God is quite disturbing. What's the basis of it?

I don't believe in the traditional fire and brimstone concept of hell but believe that those who reject Christ achieve eternal separation from God. In other words, self-annihilation, which ironically is the culminating state of some eastern religions.

Quote:
I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. I love the idea that God says 'look, you cretins there are certain results to the way we are, to selfishness and there's mortality as part of your very sinful nature and let's face it, you're not living a very good life are you?' There are consequences to actions. The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That's the point. It should keep us humbled. It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of heaven.
Does this statement bother those who oppose 'exclusivist' Christianity because it appears Bono is advocating exclusivity?

Bad Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 09:08 AM
Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad Templar
I don't believe in the traditional fire and brimstone concept of hell but believe that those who reject Christ achieve eternal separation from God. In other words, self-annihilation, which ironically is the culminating state of some eastern religions.
And I have faith that you are ignorant and believe you have separation from self and other humans.
Palace_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM

Quote:
This stereotyping and often demonising (I'm not necessarily accusing you of this Halifax) of Christians who believe Christ is the only way to God is quite disturbing. What's the basis of it?
Stereotyping? Demonising? Where? Who exactly is doing this sterotyping and demonising?

If you're not accusing Halifax of it, then why even bring it up in thread?

In my view such types of debates or arguments are better made in the FYM forum, this forum is to try and discuss U2's faith in a non-provocative way.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM

Quote:
Does this statement bother those who oppose 'exclusivist' Christianity because it appears Bono is advocating exclusivity?
Doesn't bother me anyway. Bono is entitled to his view. I know that Bono has many atheist friends because he has said so in interviews. He seems to get along fine with them with they respecting his beliefs and he respecting theirs.

Anyway to go back to the original question, I'm not aware of Bono ever "flirting" with Eastern beliefs to be honest. I seem to recall a quote from an interview where he said that he prefered the idea of grace to the idea of karma.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Bono's views on eastern religions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
And I have faith that you are ignorant and believe you have separation from self and other humans.
And your opinion means what?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 PM
starsgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Stereotyping? Demonising? Where? Who exactly is doing this sterotyping and demonising?

If you're not accusing Halifax of it, then why even bring it up in thread?

In my view such types of debates or arguments are better made in the FYM forum, this forum is to try and discuss U2's faith in a non-provocative way.
I was attempting to discuss the label...

Quote:
"people who practice other religions will burn in hell" type of Christian.
...and the basis of it in a non-provocative way.

I wasn't judging Halifax...only interested in where the assumption came from and its apparent negative connotation.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 02:08 AM

Quote:

oh c'mon...you've never seen people who think that "disbelievers are goin' straight to hell!!" (Usually that phrase is accompanied with a 'yeeha!' at the end.) There are tons of people like that. And I believe you answered your "what's the basis of it" question. these people not only believe that Christ is the only way to God, they condemn all other beliefs and can be extremely narrow-minded. I'm not gonna type anymore because that belongs in FYM....but I don't think Bono can be considered someone who believes in exclusiveness (lol is that a word?). He actually had a time where he questioned his faith much. I also don't think he would belive that a child in Africa who died at the age of 8 because of AIDS is going to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus Christ.
unosdostres14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Not for nothing but why has this thread turned into a discussion about Christian thought, when it's titled "BONO'S VIEWS ON EASTERN RELIGIONS"!!!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Not for nothing but why has this thread turned into a discussion about Christian thought, when it's titled "BONO'S VIEWS ON EASTERN RELIGIONS"!!!!!
Because he might not have any? And anything discussed on the thread would be only mere speculation?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
exclusiveness (lol is that a word?).
I believe it is!

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
I also don't think he would belive that a child in Africa who died at the age of 8 because of AIDS is going to hell because he didn't believe in Jesus Christ.
Not many others would believe that either.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Because he might not have any? And anything discussed on the thread would be only mere speculation?

But there is already a thread about Bono's views on Christ. And just because he's not a member of a eastern religion doesn't mean he doesn't have any thoughts/views on it.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue

But there is already a thread about Bono's views on Christ. And just because he's not a member of a eastern religion doesn't mean he doesn't have any thoughts/views on it.
Then the logical thing would do is evaluate things he has said about eastern religions...otherwise let the thread die a natural death.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

That would be logical...when I came here I was reading about Christian theology though...