Bono's views on eastern religions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just getting to reading this thread, and I actually started at the back. The way some of you guys are ragging on Bad Templar, I thought "Oh no, what did he say?". I get to the beginning of the thread, and it's not him that started the argument at all. He did NOT accuse Halifax of anything - in fact he said he wasn't directing it toward Halifax. It was someone else who started it, by saying something very rude to him.

Bad Templar just gave his views on the subject in a very polite manner. Isn't that what discussion forums are for? Does the freedom to give your views without being insulted only apply if you don't think that Christianity is the only way? That's sure how it seems, to be perfectly honest.

Looks like this thread needs this too:

melon said:
You know, when people start ragging on religions, I end pointing to this thread of mine:

http://forum.interference.com/t83574.html

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam do have a common origin: in the non-Christian, Persian religion, Zoroastrianism. Funny enough, Jesus subverts Zoroastrian-infused Judaism (a.k.a., the Pharisees), only for Christianity to be resubverted by the Zoroastrian cult, Mithraism, via St. Paul. Baptism is a Zoroastrian rite, as is the Holy Trinity. The Zoroastrian trinity is Ahura Mazda (father), Mithras (sun god), and the Spenta Mainyu (Holy Spirit). Yes, if you ever wondered what the ambiguous "Holy Spirit" referred to, it's an archangel.

"Abrahamic Judaism" (the Sadducees in the NT) died in A.D. 70 with the destruction of the Temple by the Romans, where they subsequently slaughtered all the Jews too. "Zoroastrian Judaism" (the Pharisees in the NT) only survived, because the Romans allowed them to live, and that's the Judaism that survives today.

Believe me or don't believe me, but Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have more in common than we'd like to believe.

Zoroastrianism has its roots in Hinduism's early Vedic roots, conceivably stretching back to the 10-13th centuries B.C., solely based on the original scriptural language.

Melon

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:
I'm just getting to reading this thread, and I actually started at the back. The way some of you guys are ragging on Bad Templar, I thought "Oh no, what did he say?". I get to the beginning of the thread, and it's not him that started the argument at all. He did NOT accuse Halifax of anything - in fact he said he wasn't directing it toward Halifax. It was someone else who started it, by saying something very rude to him.

Bad Templar just gave his views on the subject in a very polite manner. Isn't that what discussion forums are for? Does the freedom to give your views without being insulted only apply if you don't think that Christianity is the only way? That's sure how it seems, to be perfectly honest.

Thanks 80s. :wink:

I've been suffering from the Black Dog lately and your post means a lot to me.

Halifax said:

Halifax -- that is just one person's belief. No better than anyone else's. And he/she could very well be wrong. ;)

I don't pay enough attention to what Bono says to add anything else to this thread (had to check it out though, after reading the other thread... :) ).

I'm not going to apologize for what I posted here, but it's not my job to scare people into getting saved by telling them they'll go to hell. So I'm sorry if I was too...upfront about that. :yes:

Of course, if you don't believe in hell, it's not much of a scare.:wink:

No disrespect intended above. I just always thought Christianity should be about something more than avoiding hell.

I disagree coemgen, at least if we're talking about messages form the pulpit. I don't think enough preachers talk about hell. Christ talked about it quite a bit, but these days, the preachers don't want to offend people so they cut that out.

coemgen said:
It is. The sad thing is that stuff isn't often shared as much.:(

Someday I'd love to discuss the varying perceptions of Christianity and the variety of messages being put out there. But this isn't the thread to do it and I'm not quite sure how to start one without it veering way off topic. Enjoy your posts, coemgen.
We'd have an interesting discussion.

Back
Top Bottom