Bono's Solace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

But it's true for you, it's not true for me. I've tried your religion, it didn't work for me. I have friends that were raised in your religion and left as they got older. I'm glad it works for you. But is it really fact when it's only "true" for some?

Just because some can't accept it, or doesn't want to, doesn't make it any less the truth, period. It's just a fact that not everyone in this life, or the next, will accept it. Period.

Thanks, Katey, and you're welcome. :).

Soul Always said:
Just because some can't accept it, or doesn't want to, doesn't make it any less the truth, period.

So...going with that, if you went to a Muslim place of worship, and didn't accept what they said as truth, that wouldn't make what they're saying any less true, correct?

Originally posted by Soul Always
It's just a fact that not everyone in this life, or the next, will accept it. Period.

I'll accept anything that can be proven without a doubt to be true. So far, all the faiths I've encountered have yet to prove that everything they're each telling me is 100% true (and again, are the Christians right? Are the Muslims right? Are the Jews right? Who is and isn't right? How do we know for sure who's telling the truth?).

I agree. Or when the religin gives you a cold or empty feeling. What's great about the truth is that you know you have the answers, the truth, the truth whispers to you. You just know. It fills you up. You don't have all those pernicious questions anymore...believe me.

All this is certainly true. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out which faith it is that holds the truth.

you're looking for the wrong things, possibly in the wrong places...

And where would be the right places to look, and what would be the right things to look for?

and this is not the way to learn it, anyway.

What is the way to learn this stuff, then?

without the Spirit you'll never get enough proof that any church is true. Many churches try to convince you but only the Spirit can truly teach you and tell you which is true.

See, that's the thing, though, I believe in some sort of spirit, but I'm not really sure which faith, specifically, that it belongs to (who knows, it could represent all faiths, too), and I have a lot of questions about the spirit itself, as well as what all the churches are saying and doing. And I haven't gotten many answers that truly make any sort of sense to me.

Angela

Soul Always said:

Just because some can't accept it, or doesn't want to, doesn't make it any less the truth, period. It's just a fact that not everyone in this life, or the next, will accept it. Period.

Yes for you. Not for many, and I can tell you a hundred reasons why your religion is not the only truth. Look I tried to be tolerant during this debate but seriously your arrogance makes it impossible to have a disscussion. This I believe is what Bono was speaking about in this quote. I find no spirit in a lack of humility and will bow out of this discussion.

This I believe is what Bono was speaking about in this quote
you got it...
you know it can sometimes be hard especially in some parts still today in Ireland to grow up in a catholic/protestant split.. but what I am most glad about that I did come up this way was that instilled in me was tolerance , respect and the right to be different..It's why I cringe when people try to gauge Bono's spirtuality or anyone elses for the matter.. from my experience these are the people who are looking for answers themselves and in the wrong places
"I am just trying to figure it out, I just go where the life is, you know? Where I feel the Holy Spirit," Bono told Christianity Today. "If it's in the back of a Roman Catholic cathedral, in the quietness and the incense, which suggest the mystery of God, of God's presence, or in the bright lights of the revival tent, I just go where I find life. I don't see denomination. I generally think religion gets in the way of God.
I think thats another similar quote to the one before and I completly understand where Bono comes from on that .. but I see it in my own way.. I am of a similar thought it is th e though of God and no truth brought through anyone religion that I am in awe of.. I still believe religion and institutions have rules and sec etc.. that have been put there by man that just kind of displace what God is for me and take the awe of that away..

Stop accusing me of things I haven't done, or things I am not. See, every time...every time it turns out like this. You did this, you sound like this. *sigh* I merely said he has a lot to learn. Leave it at that! Always leave statement I make like that alone. You get into things I didn't say if you don't, and you start accusing me of things I am not. I don't say things to start a debate. I merely said, he has a lot to learn. I stick by that. Do not read anything else into it. You're blowing this way out of proportion and I won't be party to it anymore.

Last edited:
My husband and I agree that I have great insight into things, into people, into the truth, into what is going on. I see things that others don't want to see, want to deny, or can't see...and as a result, they go after me. Kind of like the prophets of old, or anyone who states something that makes people feel insecure...they go after them, stone them..."let's kill them." I experience this reaction all the time. And no, it's not because I'm arrogant. I'm not. I just make people feel insecure.

Enough. I enjoy other conversations with you. But, not this aggressive attack on what I say and who I am. And yes, I have the right to say something without all this.

Last edited:
I dont think Bono would doubt he has alot to learn.. I think thats where the I am figuring things out part comes from..

Katey said:
I dont think Bono would doubt he has alot to learn.. I think thats where the I am figuring things out part comes from..

I don't doubt that either. I think he's very smart. But, I hope that a closed mind isn't counterproductive to his quest...that's all.

actually I have to say I dont believe Bono has a closed mind.. there is a big difference between knowing what direction you want to take with your faith and being open to others .. and Bono in my opinion is very open minded when it comes to others views.. I think he is very good at respecting peoples right to be different ..

I wonder why you think he has a closed mind??

Katey said:
actually I have to say I dont believe Bono has a closed mind.. there is a big difference between knowing what direction you want to take with your faith and being open to others .. and Bono in my opinion is very open minded when it comes to others views.. I think he is very good at respecting peoples right to be different ..

I wonder why you think he has a closed mind??

Yes, but wonder if that direction is wrong? I guess that's when fate, or "grace" steps in.

As for others' views...I never said he wasn't open-minded towards others' views. Just, perhaps, about what path he wants to take, is willing to believe, or his views. You know how it gets. you start thinking a certain way, especially when you get older and have had years to form an opinion, and you get stuck in your ways, your thinking, your path, your rut. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. But, they should be taught new tricks. That sort of thing.

Why do I think he has a closed mind? Because of that statement. But, he probably makes a lot of finite statements, like he has it all figured out, when I've found that just when you think you have it all figured out you learn more. It just seems the guy hasn't learned much in the religious department, partly because he's not looking/ listening, perhaps.

But, that is just all speculation now.

Why do I think he has a closed mind? Just that statement...period. And wow, he has a lot to learn, was my reaction.

Bono and I sort of have a synergy. That's all. He can affect me deeply, and in ways other people usually can't. It's like we're connected. Sometimes I find myself talking back to him when I hear him say something on t.v., or something because he makes me want to communicate with him.

Anyway, whole other subject.:silent:

I often think his statements are taken in the wrong context.. I dont think Bono believes he has it all figured out he has always said people shouldnt look to him .. he is trying to figure it out himself.. i think he is learning constantly and he applys what fits for him to his own life.. but I dunno thats my take on it.. In so many instances I see parrallels to my own life .. when he talks about his father or Africa or his religion and experience with that .we probably dont always think the same thing but about these things but why I admire him is that he does it all with profound grace thats what I see.. he doesnt make excuses and he is not afraid to be him that takes guts when you are in the public eye and people look to you for answers .. what ever direction Bono is taking 'its what right for him at the time, he's not telling anyone else to follow it ..in fact I think he much prefers people not to look to him .. no wonder he is weary to talk about religion.. what he does do is call to the church to stop throwing stones and help the people who might have maybe made a wrong choice maybe.. but those people are no less deserving of our help.. practice what you preach and I dont think thats to much for any of to expect for the church

Last edited:
Katey said:
I often think his statements are taken in the wrong context.. I dont think Bono believes he has it all figured out he has always said people shouldnt look to him .. he is trying to figure it out himself.. i think he is learning constantly and he applys what fits for him to his own life.. but I dunno thats my take on it.. In so many instances I see parrallels to my own life .. when he talks about his father or Africa or his religion and experience with that .we probably dont always think the same thing but about these things but why I admire him is that he does it all with profound grace thats what I see.. he doesnt make excuses and he is not afraid to be him that takes guts when you are in the public eye and people look to you for answers .. what ever direction Bono is taking 'its what right for him at the time, he's not telling anyone else to follow it ..in fact I think he much prefers people not to look to him .. no wonder he is weary to talk about religion.. what he does do is call to the church to stop throwing stones and help the people who might have maybe made a wrong choice maybe.. but those people are no less deserving of our help.. practice what you preach and I dont think thats to much for any of to expect for the church

I just think the guy is pretty jaded when it comes to religion. Partly because of his own fault, partly because of what he's seen. But to close your mind to things because of that is foolish.

I think that Bono does have a way of speaking that sounds like he thinks he knows it all when he doesn't think that. Sort of like me, and the way I speak. I heard a quote once that says that when Bono speaks it's more of a pronouncement than just an opinion. He just has a very strong, forceful, seemingly definite way of speaking, like me...and I realize this, but at the same time I think it's obvious he has to learn religiously. Perhaps he knows that, and I'm not being charitable enough, like I often am not towards Bono, but he definitely doesn't know everything and it would be wise for him to know that, too...and it IS wise for him to tell other people not to follow him. What is really sad is that so many do.

he has said look dont look to me as an example of chrisitanity it's not a badge I am comfortable with.. people will label him this or that and ya what is scary is when people look to him and put him up on this pedistal that he simply cant live up to... he is human he makes mistakes we all do well to remember that.....
one thing I do thing is I have personally although I am sure it has happened is that Bono has never said anything that he cant back up .. that is he does his homework when it comes to certain things.. now when it comes to explaining faith I think that is a little more difficult cause as in my own faith that is difficult to explain I guess I just see Bono as no different then me.. not a rock star but just a person.. as with all people his opinion is often shaped by experience and youknow by what he see's and witnesses.. and as from my own experience I can say it's hard to put any regard in a church or any religious instuite that would either ignore another human being because that to me is not representing God.. Bono I find is very passionate .. some things he says I cringe and think oh my what did he say that for .. but he is passionate and the way he speaks and the way he says it might sometimes have people feeling like he is being preachey or make him seen like he knows it all .. when I dont think thats it at all I think it is that he doesnt say anything he doesnt feel and because of that with the conviction it might come off wrong.. sometimes I agree with him sometimes I dont.. If someone says something I apt to go out and see if it true test it out and then I know for myself .. but I am a curious sort.

I agree with you about the way Bono speaks.. for me it is that intensity and charisma that draws me in .. in the wrong hands that would be dangerous..

Katey said:
he has said look dont look to me as an example of chrisitanity it's not a badge I am comfortable with.. people will label him this or that and ya what is scary is when people look to him and put him up on this pedistal that he simply cant live up to... he is human he makes mistakes we all do well to remember that.....
one thing I do thing is I have personally although I am sure it has happened is that Bono has never said anything that he cant back up .. that is he does his homework when it comes to certain things.. now when it comes to explaining faith I think that is a little more difficult cause as in my own faith that is difficult to explain I guess I just see Bono as no different then me.. not a rock star but just a person.. as with all people his opinion is often shaped by experience and youknow by what he see's and witnesses.. and as from my own experience I can say it's hard to put any regard in a church or any religious instuite that would either ignore another human being because that to me is not representing God.. Bono I find is very passionate .. some things he says I cringe and think oh my what did he say that for .. but he is passionate and the way he speaks and the way he says it might sometimes have people feeling like he is being preachey or make him seen like he knows it all .. when I dont think thats it at all I think it is that he doesnt say anything he doesnt feel and because of that with the conviction it might come off wrong.. sometimes I agree with him sometimes I dont.. If someone says something I apt to go out and see if it true test it out and then I know for myself .. but I am a curious sort.

I agree with you about the way Bono speaks.. for me it is that intensity and charisma that draws me in .. in the wrong hands that would be dangerous..

Bono is a very good man. I have no doubt about that. I have overcome a lot of prejudices in the past in order to make more room for him in my life.

I do agree that he puts all his feeling into what he says, and he's thought about it a great deal, and it does come across as sounding like he thinks he knows it all or is preachy. It's just very final, arrogant and certain-souding. Then, I am apt to have charity towards him because I'm the same way, and people have the same reactions towards me. For instance in this very thread people started to say that I was insulting and arrogant just because of how I state what I believe.

Still, what really happens when Bono talks, or says something like that, like I said, I want to say something back. I want to talk to him. I want to communicate...so that really explains my reactions. If I didn't care what he said because he in no way influenced me, then I wouldn't care at all. Him saying something stupid like that wouldn't affect me. I'd blow it off, and say, oh well, I don't care what this person thinks, because I don't really care for the person. He is just someone whom I care for, therefore what he says influences and affects me. It doesn't change my own mind. I just want to get to the bottom of things with him and know why he says what he says.

But, I can't, so that's very frustrating...but, yet again, that's a whole other story.

Have you ever found someone who would make a perfect friend for you? I have, in Bono. I know a lot of people wish that, but I really feel it. A lot of people are in love with the idea of being his friend. I feel it.

Anyway...:blahblah: Boy, am I in an yappy mood today.

Are you from Ontario, Canada, then?

Last edited:
I agree .. I would enjoy the opportunity to sit down and chat with Bono and have a great converstaion or row about things. I think that would be a perfect moment for me.. I'd probably talk his ear off about Africa, Debt Trade etcc

Anyway I do hear what your saying... yes I am in Eastern Ontario ..and i spend a bit of time just outside Dublin with family as well .

r u from Canada??

Katey said:
I agree .. I would enjoy the opportunity to sit down and chat with Bono and have a great converstaion or row about things. I think that would be a perfect moment for me.. I'd probably talk his ear off about Africa, Debt Trade etcc

Anyway I do hear what your saying... yes I am in Eastern Ontario ..and i spend a bit of time just outside Dublin with family as well .

r u from Canada??

No, I'm from the U.S.

I wanted to respond to this quote....this quote is actually from the forward to a book titled They've Hijacked God by Adam Harbinson. This book is about how insular the Church has become, especially in view of fundamentalists. At a concert right before singing Please, Bono said "People (fundamentalists) take God and recreate Him into thier own image---tiny and suited for thier own purposes...pathetic." How true.

He then goes on to say "It's the revolutionary with A REALLY GOOD HEART that gets me off." Meaning those who take God and are awed by Him and don't take it all for themselves but rather pour themselves out in a world that's in bad need of love and grace....the idea that love can be a revolution of its own against of the worlds evils (That quote was the inspiration for my poem, Anthem in the Dream Out Loud section)

Great thread! :up:

Back
Top Bottom