Bono's Own Words - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > United Colours > The Goal Is Soul
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Bono's Own Words

Now, for all its failings and its perversions over the last 2,000 years--and as much as every exponent of this faith has attempted to dodge this idea--it is unarguably the central tenet of Christianity: that everybody is equal in God's eyes. So you cannot, as a Christian, walk away from Africa. America will be judged by God if, in its plenty, it crosses the road from 23 million people suffering from HIV, the leprosy of the day. What's up on trial here is Christianity itself. You cannot walk away from this and call yourself a Christian and sit in power. Distance does not decide who is your brother and who is not. The church is going to have to become the conscience of the free market if it's to have any meaning in this world--and stop being its apologist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
During U2's Zooropa tour, you would often call prominent figures by phone from the stage. In London, you were dressed as the devil character you invented, MacPhisto, and, as you tried to call the Archbishop of Canterbury, MacPhisto remarked that religious leaders were some of his closest friends.

It's true. I often wonder if religion is the enemy of God. It's almost like religion is what happens when the Spirit has left the building.

God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm. I love that. You know, it says somewhere in the scriptures that the Spirit moves like a wind--no one knows where it's come from or where it's going. The Spirit is described in the Holy Scriptures as much more anarchic than any established religion credits.

For all that, U2 has often been seen as a Christian rock band.

We really f--ked that up, though. We really f--ked up our corner of the Christian market. I think carrying moral baggage is very dangerous for an artist. If you have a duty, it's to be true and not cover up the cracks. I love hymns and gospel music, but the idea of turning your music into a tool for evangelism is missing the point.

(Question: from the above quote, would Bono want his music to be used in churches as " a tool for evangelism"? From his OWN WORDS, it seems maybe he would not.)

--------------------------------------------------------

The most powerful idea that's entered the world in the last few thousand years--the idea of grace--is the reason I would like to be a Christian.

These are Bono's own words from one of his best interviews ever - especially on his Faith, his relationship with God and his views on how to live a life of Grace.

Here is the link:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/67/story_6758_5.html

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....

Jamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:30 PM
You are persistent. Without a doubt, you are persistent.

80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just our hero's own words - that's all.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In fact, this is my favorite Bono quote:

God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm. I love that. You know, it says somewhere in the scriptures that the Spirit moves like a wind--no one knows where it's come from or where it's going. The Spirit is described in the Holy Scriptures as much more anarchic than any established religion credits

So I guess us "Christians" can't claim a property right on God - from our hero's perspective, God belongs to EVERYONE in the world, "Christian" or not.

I happen to agree with him - whether others in the Church do or not.

THANK YOU, BONO!
Old 03-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:30 PM
"You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe–as the Lord has assigned to each his task." 1 Corinthians 3:3-5

We are not followers of Bono, but followers of Jesus Christ.
nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Just our hero's own words - that's all.
He's not my hero. I have no hero but Jesus Christ.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 01:30 AM
There was a magazine out a few months ago all about U2. I can't remember which one it was but I wish I had bought it. In it, it told a story about the Dalai Lama wanting to throw a festival during the early 90s where all the world's religions would come together and proclaim that they were all one. He asked Bono if U2 would play at the festival and Bono declined apparently writing back, "We are one but not the same." Make of it what you will, but for whatever reason the band refused to participate in the idea.

C.S. Lewis makes reference in Mere Christianity similar to Bono's quotes. I'll have to look it up tomorrow and post it. I wonder if maybe that's where Bono got the idea.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
In fact, this is my favorite Bono quote:

So I guess us "Christians" can't claim a property right on God - from our hero's perspective, God belongs to EVERYONE in the world, "Christian" or not.

I happen to agree with him - whether others in the Church do or not.

This is so true. The world has been at war for the past 4 decades because people quarrel about which religion has the monopoly of being called "the chosen ones", which followers have an express ticket to heaven. Bono is indeed amazing. It's just ridiculous how a number of people scoffs at his extraordinary deeds and take it as something he does for mere publicity. Just read the posts in yahoo regarding the news about him being considered for the world bank leadership. It almost reminds me of the dilemma of mary magdalene when she was being stoned by a crowd of people.
desire25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by dano
There was a magazine out a few months ago all about U2. I can't remember which one it was but I wish I had bought it. In it, it told a story about the Dalai Lama wanting to throw a festival during the early 90s where all the world's religions would come together and proclaim that they were all one. He asked Bono if U2 would play at the festival and Bono declined apparently writing back, "We are one but not the same." Make of it what you will, but for whatever reason the band refused to participate in the idea.
Hey Dano, do you think that inspired the lines "I dreamed that I saw Dali, with a supermarket trolley", the idea being that Dali was trying to gather all religions into one shopping cart?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

But Bono and the Edge DID appear at the Free Tibet concert in 1998, so if Bono had to refuse at the time (early 1990's) to appear at a concert at the Dalai Lama's request, I'm sure it was more to a conflict of schedules than to any spiritual disagreements.

And, for the record, my comment about Bono being our hero was an attempt at sarcasm.

The way I find some of the posters in this forum talk so gushingly about Bono and his lyrics and how he must be their type of Christian made me think that a lot of posters in this forum felt that way.

Still the info in this interview is pretty interesting - and a bit damning of the Church.

But I didn't say it - Bono has.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....
Old 03-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Hey Dano, do you think that inspired the lines "I dreamed that I saw Dali, with a supermarket trolley", the idea being that Dali was trying to gather all religions into one shopping cart?
Yes and then Bono later revisted the idea in the song Miami off of Pop. Perhaps you have already realized this but I believe that the following lines refer to an idea that Bono and an underground conglomerate, consisting of such key world players as Dunkin' Donuts, the Tennessee Valley Authority, Michael Richards from Seinfeld and other global movers and shakers, are attempting to establish a universalit-religiously tolerant utopia in our very own backyard, MIAMI, FLORIDA!

We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
Least not in Miami..

First Elian, then voter problems, and now this...what else can possibly come from the "Sunshine State?"

Sorry folks, I'm a tad sick today so the old sense of humor isn't going at 100%
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by dano

Yes and then Bono later revisted the idea in the song Miami off of Pop. Perhaps you have already realized this but I believe that the following lines refer to an idea that Bono and an underground conglomerate, consisting of such key world players as Dunkin' Donuts, the Tennessee Valley Authority, Michael Richards from Seinfeld and other global movers and shakers, are attempting to establish a universalit-religiously tolerant utopia in our very own backyard, MIAMI, FLORIDA!

Least not in Miami..

First Elian, then voter problems, and now this...what else can possibly come from the "Sunshine State?"
You know, I hadn't thought of those lines that way. But then again, I don't own POP, so I guess I never thought of those lines in any way...

Elian? Don't get me started on that. I saw a movie about it recently, and it just brought back all the hateful feelings I had toward those jack-booted thugs when they snatched that kid at gunpoint on Easter weekend.

But that's for Free Your Mind, isn't it? Ahh well, that doesn't seem to stop certain people (and no, I'm not talking about you, Dano)...
Old 03-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Jamila:

What are your thoughts on the IN THE NAME OF LOVE various artists compilation CD? It is a who's who of contemporary Christian artists (collectively, "Artists United For Africa") who put together a U2 tribute album, covering U2 songs with proceeds going to help fight the African AIDS crisis via the World Vision organization.

Do you think Bono is as angry about contemporary Christian artists covering U2 songs as you are about congregations implementing U2 songs into their church services? Do you think there should be laws against churches using U2's songs as psalsm and hymns of praise if those churches fall short of your glory? Why do you get to decide whether it's right for a church to use U2's songs for such purposes? How do you know what these churches have done to fight the African AIDS crisis (or any other worthwhile cause for that matter)? Are you so free of sin yourself that you can constantly cast stones at churches who use U2 songs in their services, as you have done now in several threads in this forum?

Have you ever thought that churches using U2's music in their services and programs might inspire their members to look into U2 a little more deeply and see for themselves the causes that are important to U2, and then hopefully follow up themselves?

I don't doubt your passion for the cause one bit, but I don't think your divisive and judgemental approach will inspire what Bono wants most of all, and that is for the church to get involved in the cause and, as you quoted, "be the conscience." Churches don't win over converts by condemnation, and you will not win over the support of the church by your persistent judgement either.

And also, the Free Tibet concert was a political and human rights awareness event; it was not the universalist theological event that the Dalai Lama had proposed earlier. Dave Matthews performed at the Free Tibet concert and he is (was?) an atheist. So are some members of REM.

~U2Alabama
U2Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Have you ever thought that churches using U2's music in their services and programs might inspire their members to look into U2 a little more deeply and see for themselves the causes that are important to U2, and then hopefully follow up themselves?

~U2Alabama
Good point. I agree, any church should be entitled to use U2's music in their services provided U2 don't have a problem with it, and I don't think they would.
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Jamila:
Churches don't win over converts by condemnation,
~U2Alabama
Yes.. they do!! This is what has kept me from finding church I could believe in.

With that said I am in Bible study with a wonderful older lady who is not judgemental or overbearing and we explore the areas of the Bible we both have interest. This is what restores my faith!

sue4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote