Bono's Own Words

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Now, for all its failings and its perversions over the last 2,000 years--and as much as every exponent of this faith has attempted to dodge this idea--it is unarguably the central tenet of Christianity: that everybody is equal in God's eyes. So you cannot, as a Christian, walk away from Africa. America will be judged by God if, in its plenty, it crosses the road from 23 million people suffering from HIV, the leprosy of the day. What's up on trial here is Christianity itself. You cannot walk away from this and call yourself a Christian and sit in power. Distance does not decide who is your brother and who is not. The church is going to have to become the conscience of the free market if it's to have any meaning in this world--and stop being its apologist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
During U2's Zooropa tour, you would often call prominent figures by phone from the stage. In London, you were dressed as the devil character you invented, MacPhisto, and, as you tried to call the Archbishop of Canterbury, MacPhisto remarked that religious leaders were some of his closest friends.

It's true. I often wonder if religion is the enemy of God. It's almost like religion is what happens when the Spirit has left the building.

God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm. I love that. You know, it says somewhere in the scriptures that the Spirit moves like a wind--no one knows where it's come from or where it's going. The Spirit is described in the Holy Scriptures as much more anarchic than any established religion credits.

For all that, U2 has often been seen as a Christian rock band.

We really f--ked that up, though. We really f--ked up our corner of the Christian market. I think carrying moral baggage is very dangerous for an artist. If you have a duty, it's to be true and not cover up the cracks. I love hymns and gospel music, but the idea of turning your music into a tool for evangelism is missing the point.

(Question: from the above quote, would Bono want his music to be used in churches as " a tool for evangelism"? From his OWN WORDS, it seems maybe he would not.)

--------------------------------------------------------

The most powerful idea that's entered the world in the last few thousand years--the idea of grace--is the reason I would like to be a Christian.

These are Bono's own words from one of his best interviews ever - especially on his Faith, his relationship with God and his views on how to live a life of Grace. :angel:

Here is the link:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/67/story_6758_5.html

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

In fact, this is my favorite Bono quote:

God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm. I love that. You know, it says somewhere in the scriptures that the Spirit moves like a wind--no one knows where it's come from or where it's going. The Spirit is described in the Holy Scriptures as much more anarchic than any established religion credits

So I guess us "Christians" can't claim a property right on God - from our hero's perspective, God belongs to EVERYONE in the world, "Christian" or not.

I happen to agree with him - whether others in the Church do or not.

THANK YOU, BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

"You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe–as the Lord has assigned to each his task." 1 Corinthians 3:3-5

We are not followers of Bono, but followers of Jesus Christ.

There was a magazine out a few months ago all about U2. I can't remember which one it was but I wish I had bought it. In it, it told a story about the Dalai Lama wanting to throw a festival during the early 90s where all the world's religions would come together and proclaim that they were all one. He asked Bono if U2 would play at the festival and Bono declined apparently writing back, "We are one but not the same." Make of it what you will, but for whatever reason the band refused to participate in the idea.

C.S. Lewis makes reference in Mere Christianity similar to Bono's quotes. I'll have to look it up tomorrow and post it. I wonder if maybe that's where Bono got the idea.

Jamila said:
In fact, this is my favorite Bono quote:

So I guess us "Christians" can't claim a property right on God - from our hero's perspective, God belongs to EVERYONE in the world, "Christian" or not.

I happen to agree with him - whether others in the Church do or not.

This is so true. The world has been at war for the past 4 decades because people quarrel about which religion has the monopoly of being called "the chosen ones", which followers have an express ticket to heaven. Bono is indeed amazing. It's just ridiculous how a number of people scoffs at his extraordinary deeds and take it as something he does for mere publicity. Just read the posts in yahoo regarding the news about him being considered for the world bank leadership. It almost reminds me of the dilemma of mary magdalene when she was being stoned by a crowd of people.

dano said:
There was a magazine out a few months ago all about U2. I can't remember which one it was but I wish I had bought it. In it, it told a story about the Dalai Lama wanting to throw a festival during the early 90s where all the world's religions would come together and proclaim that they were all one. He asked Bono if U2 would play at the festival and Bono declined apparently writing back, "We are one but not the same." Make of it what you will, but for whatever reason the band refused to participate in the idea.

Hey Dano, do you think that inspired the lines "I dreamed that I saw Dali, with a supermarket trolley", the idea being that Dali was trying to gather all religions into one shopping cart?

But Bono and the Edge DID appear at the Free Tibet concert in 1998, so if Bono had to refuse at the time (early 1990's) to appear at a concert at the Dalai Lama's request, I'm sure it was more to a conflict of schedules than to any spiritual disagreements.

And, for the record, my comment about Bono being our hero was an attempt at sarcasm.

The way I find some of the posters in this forum talk so gushingly about Bono and his lyrics and how he must be their type of Christian made me think that a lot of posters in this forum felt that way.

Still the info in this interview is pretty interesting - and a bit damning of the Church.

But I didn't say it - Bono has.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:yes:

80sU2isBest said:

Hey Dano, do you think that inspired the lines "I dreamed that I saw Dali, with a supermarket trolley", the idea being that Dali was trying to gather all religions into one shopping cart?

Yes and then Bono later revisted the idea in the song Miami off of Pop. Perhaps you have already realized this but I believe that the following lines refer to an idea that Bono and an underground conglomerate, consisting of such key world players as Dunkin' Donuts, the Tennessee Valley Authority, Michael Richards from Seinfeld and other global movers and shakers, are attempting to establish a universalit-religiously tolerant utopia in our very own backyard, MIAMI, FLORIDA!

We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
Least not in Miami..

First Elian, then voter problems, and now this...what else can possibly come from the "Sunshine State?"

Sorry folks, I'm a tad sick today so the old sense of humor isn't going at 100%

Last edited:
dano said:

Yes and then Bono later revisted the idea in the song Miami off of Pop. Perhaps you have already realized this but I believe that the following lines refer to an idea that Bono and an underground conglomerate, consisting of such key world players as Dunkin' Donuts, the Tennessee Valley Authority, Michael Richards from Seinfeld and other global movers and shakers, are attempting to establish a universalit-religiously tolerant utopia in our very own backyard, MIAMI, FLORIDA!

Least not in Miami..

First Elian, then voter problems, and now this...what else can possibly come from the "Sunshine State?"

You know, I hadn't thought of those lines that way. But then again, I don't own POP, so I guess I never thought of those lines in any way...:wink:

Elian? Don't get me started on that. I saw a movie about it recently, and it just brought back all the hateful feelings I had toward those jack-booted thugs when they snatched that kid at gunpoint on Easter weekend.

But that's for Free Your Mind, isn't it? Ahh well, that doesn't seem to stop certain people (and no, I'm not talking about you, Dano)...

Last edited:
Jamila:

What are your thoughts on the IN THE NAME OF LOVE various artists compilation CD? It is a who's who of contemporary Christian artists (collectively, "Artists United For Africa") who put together a U2 tribute album, covering U2 songs with proceeds going to help fight the African AIDS crisis via the World Vision organization.

Do you think Bono is as angry about contemporary Christian artists covering U2 songs as you are about congregations implementing U2 songs into their church services? Do you think there should be laws against churches using U2's songs as psalsm and hymns of praise if those churches fall short of your glory? Why do you get to decide whether it's right for a church to use U2's songs for such purposes? How do you know what these churches have done to fight the African AIDS crisis (or any other worthwhile cause for that matter)? Are you so free of sin yourself that you can constantly cast stones at churches who use U2 songs in their services, as you have done now in several threads in this forum?

Have you ever thought that churches using U2's music in their services and programs might inspire their members to look into U2 a little more deeply and see for themselves the causes that are important to U2, and then hopefully follow up themselves?

I don't doubt your passion for the cause one bit, but I don't think your divisive and judgemental approach will inspire what Bono wants most of all, and that is for the church to get involved in the cause and, as you quoted, "be the conscience." Churches don't win over converts by condemnation, and you will not win over the support of the church by your persistent judgement either.

And also, the Free Tibet concert was a political and human rights awareness event; it was not the universalist theological event that the Dalai Lama had proposed earlier. Dave Matthews performed at the Free Tibet concert and he is (was?) an atheist. So are some members of REM.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
U2Bama said:

Have you ever thought that churches using U2's music in their services and programs might inspire their members to look into U2 a little more deeply and see for themselves the causes that are important to U2, and then hopefully follow up themselves?

~U2Alabama

Good point. I agree, any church should be entitled to use U2's music in their services provided U2 don't have a problem with it, and I don't think they would.

U2Bama said:
Jamila:
Churches don't win over converts by condemnation,
~U2Alabama

Yes.. they do!! This is what has kept me from finding church I could believe in.

With that said I am in Bible study with a wonderful older lady who is not judgemental or overbearing and we explore the areas of the Bible we both have interest. This is what restores my faith!

I am not a Christian and I am a child of God. You don't have to be a Christian to be a child of God. I live God's will everyday as much as I can. Everyone who turns around from these epidemics and debt I feel are not the works of God. To pretend that nothing is happening or to ignore it and hopes it will go away is lying to themselves and the world.

mysticchild said:
I am not a Christian and I am a child of God. You don't have to be a Christian to be a child of God. I live God's will everyday as much as I can. Everyone who turns around from these epidemics and debt I feel are not the works of God. To pretend that nothing is happening or to ignore it and hopes it will go away is lying to themselves and the world.

Do you believe that what the Bible says is true? The Bible says that no man is "good", and that no man can "do the will of God" without Christ. That's why Christ died on the cross for us; man can never be good enough to "earn" his own way into Heaven, so Christ willingly died on the cross and rose back to life, to pay the price for our sins. If we accept him as Savior, his perfect blood washes the guilt of our sins away, and we are declared innocent by God. Christ himself said that "no man comes to the Father except by me" and that "no man will enter the kingdom of Heaven unless he be born again". Being born again simply means:

(1) believing upon the Lord Jesus - who he is and that he died on the cross and rose from the dead to save us from sin

(2) confessing your sins and asking him to forgive you

Everyone who turns around from these epidemics and debt I feel are not the works of God. To pretend that nothing is happening or to ignore it and hopes it will go away is lying to themselves and the world.

As I've asked Jamila many times, how can you make any judgment about what charities God places on an individual's heart to support?

God has placed it on my heart to support cerebral palsy research. How would you feel if I told you that are not doing the will of God if you don't give to cerebral palsy charities? Or cancer charities? Or if you don't work at the soup line to feed the homeless.

Do you see what I'm saying? God places different causes on different people's hearts, and you cannot judge what cause is more important or more "holy".

Is is sad that someone dies of AIDS? Of course! But is no sadder than someone dying of cancer...or a little child freezing to death in thoe cold chill of the streets...the list goes on and on and on.

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:

Yes.. they do!! This is what has kept me from finding church I could believe in.

I think you misunderstood what Bama was saying. Whe he said

"Churches don't win over converts by condemnation"

He wasn't saying that no churches use a judgmental, condemning attitude to ty to win converts. He's saying that's not a very successful approach.

Churches have to walk that thin line between preaching a "condemning" message and preaching "the truth".

The truth is that man is hopelessly lost in sin without Christ. That's one of the foundations of the salvation message. The church does need to get this message across, or no one will see the need to grasp on to the savior.

That said, some churches definitely preach it the wrong way. Some have the "I'm better than you" attitude, when what they should be preaching is "I've been given a wonderful free gift of grace - her, let me tell you about it so you can share in it, also!"

dano said:
There was a magazine out a few months ago all about U2. . .

Here's the exact quote for you, Dano.

It's from Uncut Legends #3: U2 in the article "What Makes U2 Tick? #1, Religion" page 36.

Some outsiders supposed that the band had completely toned down their beliefs, that they had become liberal rockers with a formless, ecumenical bent. So, around 1990, an associate of the Dalai Lama wrote to U2, asking if they would take part in a special meeting celebrating the world's religions as one. Bono's response was to scribble "One, but not the same," a line that would inform their most powerful song of that era.

In his own words. :wink:

That was in 2990. In 1998, Bono and the Edge performed at the "Free Tibet" concert for religious and democratic freedom in Tibet.

And if you look at the Beliefnet interview from 2001, Bono would have seemed to have mellowed his viewpoint a bit:

God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm. I love that. You know, it says somewhere in the scriptures that the Spirit moves like a wind--no one knows where it's come from or where it's going. The Spirit is described in the Holy Scriptures as much more anarchic than any established religion credits.

(Bono's own words from just 4 years ago, not a third party account of what was written on a note 15 years ago)

I think the Beliefnet interview is closer to Bono's current viewpoint on Spirituality than something which supposedly happened 15 years ago. :yes:

sue4u2 said:

Exactly...these churches you visited were not effective in winning you over by way of their condemning approach. Coercive faith is not what God wants. You will learn much more about God's love for you by studying the scripture with the older lady. But there are many churches that would welcome you just as Jesus would.

~U2Alabama

Jamila said:
That was in 2990. In 1998, Bono and the Edge performed at the "Free Tibet" concert for religious and democratic freedom in Tibet.

And if you look at the Beliefnet interview from 2001, Bono would have seemed to have mellowed his viewpoint a bit:

(Bono's own words from just 4 years ago, not a third party account of what was written on a note 15 years ago)

I think the Beliefnet interview is closer to Bono's current viewpoint on Spirituality than something which supposedly happened 15 years ago. :yes:

And again:

Originally posted by U2Bama:
And also, the Free Tibet concert was a political and human rights awareness event; it was not the universalist theological event that the Dalai Lama had proposed earlier. Dave Matthews performed at the Free Tibet concert and he is (was?) an atheist. So are some members of REM.

Also, Bono spoke in introduction of conteporary Christian band Jars of Clay at the Gospel Music Awards a couple of years ago, as described below:

Multi-platinum, Dove and GRAMMY Award winning band, Jars of Clay performed last night on GMA’s 35th Annual Music Awards show with friends Ashley Cleveland and The Williams Brothers. Jars of Clay, known for humanitarian efforts in the battle against HIV/AIDS in Africa, performed “Amazing Grace” from its critically acclaimed, Nov. 2003 release, Who We Are Instead.

Bono, front man for rock band U2 and founder of awareness campaign DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) introduced Jars of Clay’s performance by way of video from Dublin, Ireland. The rock legend noted, “As a fan, I don’t think anyone has had a bigger voice than the activists in Jars of Clay. I’ve had their version of the song, ‘Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet’ in my car for a year now, and you know what, it never has failed me yet.

God Bless You”

Jars’ keyboardist Charlie Lowell, commented, “We had an amazing time performing at GMA’s Music Awards this year. Combining the Williams Brothers with Ashley Cleveland just put it over the top! The video introduction by Bono was just unbelievable. To be recognized and mentioned by him was a huge shot in the arm for Blood:Water and edifying to the band to stay on the front lines in this amazing cause.”

“Thanks to Jars of Clay for everything they’re doing,” noted Jamie Drummond, Executive Director, DATA. “They’re already, along with their fans, changing the world. Thank you From DATA and thank you from Bono.”

~U2Alabama

Your Point?

I volunteer for many of this organization's activities, so I am perfectly aware of everything you just posted, U2Bama, but I honestly don't understand your point.:scratch:

My point regarding the Free Tibet concert was that the event was an event for raising awareness of the political/human rights struggle in Tibet, it was not the same as the universalist-themed religious event that the Dalai Lama had proposed.

My point regarding the contemporary Christian artists contributing to the tribute album of U2 covers in benefit of Africa is this: it is an example of "the church" (in general, the Christian community) using U2's message and doing something to help Africa. What are your thoughts on it? And what do you think of Bono acknowledging the Christian community by formally introducing Jars of Clay at the GMAs?

~U2Alabama

I completely support Bono in all his efforts to enlist the support of EVERYONE in the Global AIDS struggle.

I disagree with your contention on Tibet. I will re-emphasize my contention:

"And if you look at the Beliefnet interview from 2001, Bono would have seemed to have mellowed his viewpoint a bit:

I think the Beliefnet interview is closer to Bono's current viewpoint on Spirituality than something which supposedly happened 15 years ago."

My contention still remains: several churches or national Church organizations doing work on extreme poverty and the AIDS pandemic DOES NOT ABSOLVE THE VAST MAJORITY OF CHURCHES WHO DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO STOP THE AIDS PANDEMIC AND GIVE LITTLE MORE THAN LIP SERVICE TO THE FIGHT AGAINST EXTREME POVERTY!

Is that clear?

Now, I have better things to do ( like organize in my community to stop the spread of the AIDS pandemic) to continue this circular debate.

Bono's words are Bono's words and I stand by them. I take his most current words and actions to be characteristic of him today than things he did or said 15 years ago.

Correction: I have better things to do than to continue this circular debate.

stammer476 said:

Here's the exact quote for you, Dano.

It's from Uncut Legends #3: U2 in the article "What Makes U2 Tick? #1, Religion" page 36.

In his own words. :wink:

Hey thanks for the help there. I wish I'd bought that magazine when I had the chance I just happened upon it in a book store while waiting for a movie to start and then had to rush out before I had a chance to buy it.

Thanks again stammer!

Jamila said:
My contention still remains: several churches or national Church organizations doing work on extreme poverty and the AIDS pandemic DOES NOT ABSOLVE THE VAST MAJORITY OF CHURCHES WHO DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO STOP THE AIDS PANDEMIC AND GIVE LITTLE MORE THAN LIP SERVICE TO THE FIGHT AGAINST EXTREME POVERTY!

Is that clear?

Now, I have better things to do ( like organize in my community to stop the spread of the AIDS pandemic) to continue this circular debate.

Good. Then do it and stop judging others for not doing what God has called you to do, but not necessarily what he has called them to do.

St. Paul said it better than me - Faith without the works is dead.

THE FIRST EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE
CORINTHIANS

CHAPTER 13
Paul extols the high status of charity—Charity, a pure love, excels and exceeds almost all else.

1 THOUGH I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of aprophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity denvieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her bown, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

I bet Bono wouldn't have been offended by my reminding churches that it is their MORAL OBLIGATION to see to the needs of the poor.

That's something he does everyday and no one here criticizes him.

Back
Top Bottom