Bono's God-Shaped Hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeIsTooSexy

ONE love, blood, life
Bono always talks about the way he fills his god-shaped hole is by performing. Well whats it like for him when he isnt out on the road? Is he okay? Or is there something else he does in place of it?
He says that some peoples are bigger than others and I've come to terms with mine recently and how to fill it. But I want to know how Bono copes with not being on the road. Is it his family that keeps him in tune?

I've always found this quite interesting. It's a term Salman Rushdie used in one of his books and Bono took it from there. I can totally understand that feeling, even though I guess it's different for everyone. I have spent some time thinking about mine which I have already felt as a teenager, it's just now that I know this word for it.

I think part of it is to be driven and restless and always want more, just searching and longing, and I can totally see this being part of Bono's - or any artist's - spiritual and creative quest.

I also think - and I know this is very personal and I don't have insight into Bono's heart and soul, so I can only speculate - that it has to do with the early death of his mother. There is surely something missing from his life because of that and no matter what he tries and does, there is always the feeling of a "hole" - call it God shaped or whatever - that just doesn't seem to go away.

God shaped hole

Well, I love a lot of what Bono has to say but I know that when I saw him up close at the Target center (in Mpls.)-- it seemed he got wwwayyyy too much out of the crowd. Now, I realize that this is his JOB--to perform whatnot--it was a little eerie--to see all that satisfaction echoed towards the crowd.
Was that Bono's God shaped hole? or not.
Probably not. It was probably his job.
(((seriously, when I think about it--not sure i'd want a job like that.)))
:eyebrow:

^ I think it's part of it. Bono has said numerous times that there just has to be something missing in your life if you need 20.000 people yelling your name to feel loved. You don't become a singer and front man for such a big band if you wouldn't need the attention. He's always been known for wanting and needing the attention. Don't know, maybe it has to do with his family situation, loosing his mother early, not feeling loved by his dad ... it's what happens to us in those early years that shapes us as adults. Other people get depressive or addicted to drugs or suicidal or criminals, Bono's way of dealing with his demons is his songwriting, singing, performing, and yes, enjoying the audience's attention. Otherwise he wouldn't be such at charismatic front man and be able to perform like he does.

Rachel D. said:
I would think that a "God-shaped hole" could only be filled by... God. Nothing else would quite fit.

:yes:

itll be complete once we reach heaven or whatever you believe in. but while we're here on earth everyone tries to fill it someway thats what i meant really :)

A Spanish saint wrote that "not only in the church can you find God, you can also find Him in the kitchens, among the pans and pots", I always remember this sentence when I listen to Bono speaking about the poor, about Aids and Malaria, I think he finds God in there too. I believe you can find God everywhere if you let Him find you.

Rachel D. said:

What exactly does that mean?

i would say God is absolute. The only absolute there is. All else is riddled in duality and paradox.

My whole point is it's never an absolute of where you'll find God or how God will manifest.

You may go to church thinking it's a given that God is there, but God may not be there.

"Some men will seek it in the church
Only to find it on the sea" - Grant Lee Buffalo

I would think that a "God-shaped hole" could only be filled by... God. Nothing else would quite fit.

I agree. Faith has certainly filled my life and made it so much better. Getting me through some very tough times. I know. I was created for a purpose. All of us are.

Last night, I watch a documentary about the Agape Choir. The children are aids orphans from South Africa. These little angels wanted to make a cd, so they could help other children who had lost their parents. It brought tears to my eyes. The children who had very little, were so joyful. It really brought home, how thankful, I should be. For God's blessings.

Back
Top Bottom