The Fly

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Bono's favorite scripture?

What do you feel it is?

thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 PM
I'd rather hear what Bono says is his favorite Scripture. It is a very personal question.

nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
War Child

I think thats an interesting question. I'd certainly like to know.
indigo tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:27 AM
The Psalms would appear to be his favourite book, from many, many things he has said over the years. I don't believe he's ever been more specific than that publicly.
biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Just to add to this discussion, I recently finished the Neil McCormick book, I Was Bono's Doppelganger. Throughout the book, Bono and McCormick, an avowed atheist, engage in a debate about the existence of God. Bono tries many times to explain his faith to his friend. Here is one such exchange:

" 'You have to trust your instincts,' he (Bono) said. 'You're a writer, Neil. It's like working on a hunch, using your imagination to try and see the real story underneath the surface. Do you know the story of Elijah going up to the cave where he has been told he will hear the voice of God? It's in the Bible. (1 Kings xviii)
Elijah gets to the cave and goes in but there's nothing there, so he waits and eventually he hears a roll of thunder. He thinks, "Ah, yes, the voice of God!" and goes to the entrance of the cave...But the thunder rolls again and he doesn't hear God. So he goes back in the cave and waits. Then he sees a bolt of lightning flash across the sky and he thinks, "Ah, of course, the voice of God". Goes back to the entrance of the cave and waits...But God says nothing. And he starts to think maybe he's been misled - maybe there is no God....Then a small puff of wind blows into the cave and he hears it, like a whisper, the voice of God...'
Bono paused for dramatic effect. 'I always liked the idea that God is in the small things. And when it gets too noisy and fucking crazy, and I'm running around like a madman, I have to quiet myself down to get in touch with God.' "

I don't know if this is Bono's "favourite" scripture, but I think it must come close. Not only did he name his first son Elijah, but the idea of finding God in the small things is beautifully expressed in the middle eight of Wake up Dead Man, the string of "Listen to's", that urge one to get past the din of everyday life and hear what really matters.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
The Psalms would appear to be his favourite book, from many, many things he has said over the years. I don't believe he's ever been more specific than that publicly.

Yes, I agree...he really identifies with David, who he considers to be a singer of the blues. At the Superbowl Bono prayed Psalm 51:15; and during the Elevation tour he prayed Psalm 116. Not conclusive evidence, but just noting. Bono really made those two pieces of scripture 'come alive' to me...I belive he said them in the way David would have.
starsgoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Just to add to this discussion, I recently finished the Neil McCormick book, I Was Bono's Doppelganger. Throughout the book, Bono and McCormick, an avowed atheist, engage in a debate about the existence of God. Bono tries many times to explain his faith to his friend. Here is one such exchange:

" 'You have to trust your instincts,' he (Bono) said. 'You're a writer, Neil. It's like working on a hunch, using your imagination to try and see the real story underneath the surface. Do you know the story of Elijah going up to the cave where he has been told he will hear the voice of God? It's in the Bible. (1 Kings xviii)
Elijah gets to the cave and goes in but there's nothing there, so he waits and eventually he hears a roll of thunder. He thinks, "Ah, yes, the voice of God!" and goes to the entrance of the cave...But the thunder rolls again and he doesn't hear God. So he goes back in the cave and waits. Then he sees a bolt of lightning flash across the sky and he thinks, "Ah, of course, the voice of God". Goes back to the entrance of the cave and waits...But God says nothing. And he starts to think maybe he's been misled - maybe there is no God....Then a small puff of wind blows into the cave and he hears it, like a whisper, the voice of God...'
Bono paused for dramatic effect. 'I always liked the idea that God is in the small things. And when it gets too noisy and fucking crazy, and I'm running around like a madman, I have to quiet myself down to get in touch with God.' "

I don't know if this is Bono's "favourite" scripture, but I think it must come close. Not only did he name his first son Elijah, but the idea of finding God in the small things is beautifully expressed in the middle eight of Wake up Dead Man, the string of "Listen to's", that urge one to get past the din of everyday life and hear what really matters.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Lol, but another of his sons is named John Abraham too... I'm just teasing you Biff, trying to get your fleece ruffled!
Old 09-12-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

But in honesty though, I really like how Bono describes faith in God to McCormick. Come to think of it, every explanation Bono's given for faith has always smacked me in the face because it is so right there and I never noticed it in the way he did. He has augmented my faith tremendously. He's my senior pastor in leather
Old 09-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Lol, but another of his sons is named John Abraham too... I'm just teasing you Biff, trying to get your fleece ruffled!
I don't get it.
And did you actually read the lengthy quote? Have you read McCormick's book?
Just wondering.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

In your avatar, you have a lamb. Lambs have fleece...I was teasing you! Yes I am literate, I read your post including the quote before responding...I thought I did more articulatley in my second post after yours.

I was teasing about the basis of saying maybe that was his fav. scripture because he has a son named Elijah...I was pointing out he had another biblical named son is all. Bad joke. Sorry.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 PM   #12
Refugee

I think Bono's Favorite scripture is found in the Book of Mormon.
Moroni 10:3-5
-macphisto- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:12 AM   #13
Acrobat

WHat is Moroni 10:3-5? What does it say?
PennyPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 07:27 AM
i guess bono is very connected with the bible because of his childrens names
elijah, and john abraham
eve (adam and eve)
and jordan (the river jordan)
it's all in the bible...

but he also has a favorite quote in the koran
"he who makes his friends laugh is close to god" (or something like that, i don't know it exactly)
Amélie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #15
The Fly

very interesting responses.

thane

thane is offline   Reply With Quote