Bono's favorite scripture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Psalms would appear to be his favourite book, from many, many things he has said over the years. I don't believe he's ever been more specific than that publicly.

Just to add to this discussion, I recently finished the Neil McCormick book, I Was Bono's Doppelganger. Throughout the book, Bono and McCormick, an avowed atheist, engage in a debate about the existence of God. Bono tries many times to explain his faith to his friend. Here is one such exchange:

" 'You have to trust your instincts,' he (Bono) said. 'You're a writer, Neil. It's like working on a hunch, using your imagination to try and see the real story underneath the surface. Do you know the story of Elijah going up to the cave where he has been told he will hear the voice of God? It's in the Bible. (1 Kings xviii)
Elijah gets to the cave and goes in but there's nothing there, so he waits and eventually he hears a roll of thunder. He thinks, "Ah, yes, the voice of God!" and goes to the entrance of the cave...But the thunder rolls again and he doesn't hear God. So he goes back in the cave and waits. Then he sees a bolt of lightning flash across the sky and he thinks, "Ah, of course, the voice of God". Goes back to the entrance of the cave and waits...But God says nothing. And he starts to think maybe he's been misled - maybe there is no God....Then a small puff of wind blows into the cave and he hears it, like a whisper, the voice of God...'
Bono paused for dramatic effect. 'I always liked the idea that God is in the small things. And when it gets too noisy and fucking crazy, and I'm running around like a madman, I have to quiet myself down to get in touch with God.' "

I don't know if this is Bono's "favourite" scripture, but I think it must come close. Not only did he name his first son Elijah, but the idea of finding God in the small things is beautifully expressed in the middle eight of Wake up Dead Man, the string of "Listen to's", that urge one to get past the din of everyday life and hear what really matters.

biff said:
The Psalms would appear to be his favourite book, from many, many things he has said over the years. I don't believe he's ever been more specific than that publicly.

Yes, I agree...he really identifies with David, who he considers to be a singer of the blues. At the Superbowl Bono prayed Psalm 51:15; and during the Elevation tour he prayed Psalm 116. Not conclusive evidence, but just noting. Bono really made those two pieces of scripture 'come alive' to me...I belive he said them in the way David would have.

Just to add to this discussion, I recently finished the Neil McCormick book, I Was Bono's Doppelganger. Throughout the book, Bono and McCormick, an avowed atheist, engage in a debate about the existence of God. Bono tries many times to explain his faith to his friend. Here is one such exchange:

" 'You have to trust your instincts,' he (Bono) said. 'You're a writer, Neil. It's like working on a hunch, using your imagination to try and see the real story underneath the surface. Do you know the story of Elijah going up to the cave where he has been told he will hear the voice of God? It's in the Bible. (1 Kings xviii)
Elijah gets to the cave and goes in but there's nothing there, so he waits and eventually he hears a roll of thunder. He thinks, "Ah, yes, the voice of God!" and goes to the entrance of the cave...But the thunder rolls again and he doesn't hear God. So he goes back in the cave and waits. Then he sees a bolt of lightning flash across the sky and he thinks, "Ah, of course, the voice of God". Goes back to the entrance of the cave and waits...But God says nothing. And he starts to think maybe he's been misled - maybe there is no God....Then a small puff of wind blows into the cave and he hears it, like a whisper, the voice of God...'
Bono paused for dramatic effect. 'I always liked the idea that God is in the small things. And when it gets too noisy and fucking crazy, and I'm running around like a madman, I have to quiet myself down to get in touch with God.' "

I don't know if this is Bono's "favourite" scripture, but I think it must come close. Not only did he name his first son Elijah, but the idea of finding God in the small things is beautifully expressed in the middle eight of Wake up Dead Man, the string of "Listen to's", that urge one to get past the din of everyday life and hear what really matters.

But in honesty though, I really like how Bono describes faith in God to McCormick. Come to think of it, every explanation Bono's given for faith has always smacked me in the face because it is so right there and I never noticed it in the way he did. He has augmented my faith tremendously. He's my senior pastor in leather ;)

starsgoblue said:
Lol, but another of his sons is named John Abraham too... I'm just teasing you Biff, trying to get your fleece ruffled! ;)

I don't get it.
And did you actually read the lengthy quote? Have you read McCormick's book?
Just wondering.

Last edited:
In your avatar, you have a lamb. Lambs have fleece...I was teasing you! Yes I am literate, I read your post including the quote before responding...I thought I did more articulatley in my second post after yours.

I was teasing about the basis of saying maybe that was his fav. scripture because he has a son named Elijah...I was pointing out he had another biblical named son is all. Bad joke. Sorry.

i guess bono is very connected with the bible because of his childrens names
elijah, and john abraham
eve (adam and eve)
and jordan (the river jordan)
it's all in the bible...

but he also has a favorite quote in the koran
"he who makes his friends laugh is close to god" (or something like that, i don't know it exactly)

starsgoblue said:
He's my senior pastor in leather ;)

This is my favorite quote of the week!

I've been following a lot of your comments around the forums. I think you have a unique insight into many situations and just wanted you to know they are appreciated.

Peace and love,
PopDaisy

The part of the Bible that seems to resonate the most with Bono seems to be the Book of Psalms.

Bono has often commented on how King David was probably the first Blues singer (silly Bono) and, of course, we all know the various quotes from Psalms that Bono has used through the years in concerts and to inspire his own lyric writing. :wink:

But what is unique and amazing about Bono is not his ability to quote Scripture, but to LIVE SCRIPTURE! :up:

Bono will take a basic idea in Scripture and put it into words that are more easily understandable to modern times.

One of my favorite Bono quotes states the idea that God is more interested in action than in alms to help the poor.

And in almost every U2 song, there will be a "teaching story" or parable that one can find a foundation for in a Bible story or passage. :yes:

So while Bono's favorite Bible quote is a personal matter (and probably changes from time to time), the important thing is that the B-man has always drawn his inspiration from the Bible and actually FOLLOWS ITS TEACHINGS in his daily life.

And that hopefully encourages us to follow Bono's example. :angel:

THANK YOU, BONO, FOR YOUR MAGNIFICENT LIFE. :hug:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

PopDaisy said:

This is my favorite quote of the week!

I've been following a lot of your comments around the forums. I think you have a unique insight into many situations and just wanted you to know they are appreciated.

Peace and love,
PopDaisy

Thank you so much for your kind words PopDaisy! It really meant alot to me. :hug:

yeah I think you are right Jimbo...

I think he likes that one also due to the back of the album "all you can't leave behind"

starsgoblue said:
But in honesty though, I really like how Bono describes faith in God to McCormick. Come to think of it, every explanation Bono's given for faith has always smacked me in the face because it is so right there and I never noticed it in the way he did. He has augmented my faith tremendously. He's my senior pastor in leather ;)

Mine too - though I can't say I refer to him as senior. :D

Bono once said in Rollingstone, just before the new millennium that he'd put the Book of John in a time capsul. Then I know he wrote the intro for that pocket version of the Psalms a few years ago. He also said the verse reffered to on the cover of ATYCLB — Jeremiah 33:3 was important to him. There's tons that he's mentioned, but I've never heard one standing out as his favorite. It's pretty inspiring just how strong of a Christian he actually is. I would consider him the most Christ-like person I've heard of. :bono:

Back
Top Bottom