Bono's Crooked Cross?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NebraskaU2

The Fly
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me out with this one. In a number of interviews in the past Bono had mentioned that JP II had given him a "sort of crooked cross rosary" that was designed by Michelangelo, which he carries around with him.

I have been trying to find this design and have had no luck. Does anyone have any information on it?

Best,

RB

There are a lot of pictures out there of Bono wearing a rosary. You could ask in PLEBA for people to post some. Unless people post them here.

Here's an old closeup of it someone posted in PLEBA:
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5013090&postcount=5

It's the same design as John Paul II's pastoral staff (sixth photo down on the right):
Select Objects Photo Gallery - Vatican Splendors

...which was in fact designed in the 1960s by an Italian artist named Lello Scorzelli. The "crooked" crossbar is the distinguishing feature of Scorzelli's design. Wikipedia has a photo of John Paul II holding this staff:
Papal Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this Catholic Digest article about the present Pope's preference for the pre-Scorzelli design comments:
The Scorzelli crucifix remains the model for the crucifix on the rosaries Pope Benedict gives to his guests.

The "Michelangelo" claim was what made me look all this up--you can see at a glance that that's no "Michelangelo" design. Sounds like Bono either misunderstood something, or else decided to enhance his retelling a little...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom