Bonos bible or christian related lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from Miracle Drug
Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It’s whispering
In science and in medicine
"I was a stranger
You took me in”

Right now this has touched me deeply. This is the call to all of the believers in the science or medical fields. Speak and do love.

Mark

Almost everyone of Bono's lyrics has a Bible tinge to it.

Some of my favorites are:

We're ONE, but we're not the same. We get to carry each other.

It's not what you're dreaming, it's what you're gonna do.

and then. of course, there is the entire song of "ISHFWILF". :hug:

"Crumbs from Your Table" is also talking about Christ's call to extend mercy and forgiveness to others and to work for Justice for the poor and forgotten. :angel:

All GREAT IDEAS that I try to incorporate into my daily life.

Great thread, Scarlet Lady.

YOUR LOVE IS TEACHING ME HOW TO KNEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I'm not broke but you can see the cracks
You can make me perfect again
All Because of You
I Am.

(assuming you meant new stuff from HTDAAB. he's already written more than a few hymns prior to this collection)

"Yahweh, Yahweh / I'm still waiting for the dawn."

I like that one a lot, because it's a really sad and painful, yet necessary commentary on the state of the world today. I've always felt that Jesus' message was far ahead of the times in which he lived, but what I really struggle with on a daily basis is that his message of love and forgiveness for your neighbour is something that really isn't being practiced today by the world as a whole.

I believe people are fundamentally good people, I just wish that as a group we would do better to find a common goal of lovingkindness and mercy for one another.

All of Until the end of the world. The last supper through Judas's eyes and the emotions he felt as he betrayed his lord.

starsgoblue said:
Crumbs From Your Table is a warning shot to Christianity to wake up from it's slumber and answer to the new leprosy of this world, AIDS!

Wake up!

I disagree with this. Not so much just the christians. I consider it a message to the masses to answer the call and do more as a whole to curb the spread of AIDS.

Be Still - from "be still my beating heart" In A Little While

tough to do in the world we live in but a needed start to be able to listen

pianorocker said:
There's a line from Drowning Man, but I don't remember how it goes...it's from Isaiah, I know that much...

Rise up, rise up
With Wings like Eagles...
You'll run, you'll run and not grow weary...

One of my favorite songs in this vein of songwriting is "Falling at Your Feet" from the MDH Soundtrack.

I love the lines "How to simply be/Don't know when to wait/Explain simplicity/In whom shall I trust?/How might I be still?
Teach me to surrender/Not my will, THY will…"

dano said:
One of my favorite songs in this vein of songwriting is "Falling at Your Feet" from the MDH Soundtrack.

I love the lines "How to simply be/Don't know when to wait/Explain simplicity/In whom shall I trust?/How might I be still?
Teach me to surrender/Not my will, THY will…"

i love the tracks from MDH, beautiful vocal and lyric by the bono man

"Its everything I wish I didnt know, except you, give me something I can FEEELLLL :) "

"What you dont know you can feel it somehow" - Beautiful Day

"Your love is a like a light bulb, hanging over my bed" - Ultraviolet

"One man come here to justify, one man to overthrow, in the name of love, what more in the name of love" - Pride

i`m with u swissair, i can FEEL IT NOW. Grace finds beauty in everything! She carrys the weight of the world on her hips.:dance:

i think the song is called ocean. the memorable line is; started a landslide in my ego! thats the line. as an theology buff, that line says it all....the world i left behind, the world i left behind:dance: :dance: :dance:

Last edited:
good ideas, naxos! :applaud:

And welcome to this forum - please come here often.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:up:

I know it's not a specific quote from scripture but it is certainly a theme from it;

I love these lines from Walk On:
"You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been/ A place that has to be believed to be seen"

It makes me think of where Jesus talks about going to prepare a place for us, and the concept of being citizens of another kingdom. Inside of us there is that longing to finally go home- we know this is not "all there is", even if we can't see it with our eyes.

I realise the lines have more of an immediate application in terms of hope and the situation in Burma, but I'm sure Bono has this deeper meaning too. After all, where is that we can't bring all the stuff that is refered to by "all that you can leave behind".

Started a landslide in my ego
Looked from the outside to the world I left behind.
I'm dreaming, you're awake
If I was sleeping, what's at stake?

A day without me.

Whatever the feelings, I keep feeling
What are the feelings you left behind?

A day without me.

Started a landslide in my ego
Looked from the outside to the world I left behind.
In the world I left behind
Wipe their eyes and then let go
In the world I left behind
Shed a tear and let love go. THIS IS THE SONG I MENT TO QUOTE!

Bono the theologian; I want to go, to the foot of Mount Zion
To the foot of He who made me see
To the side of a hill blood was spilt
We were filled with a love
And we're going to be there again

naxos said:
Bono the theologian; I want to go, to the foot of Mount Zion
To the foot of He who made me see
To the side of a hill blood was spilt
We were filled with a love
And we're going to be there again

I love those lines, and the song.

But isn't it "to the foot of the Messiah"?

I used to listen to heavy metal growing up (of course I think it's all crap now). Anywho, my parents didn't like the lyrics of some of the songs, but I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. I just liked the music. Then my mom got me some Christian music. I loved the lyrics, but I thought the songs were crap. I later got made fun of by some other kids for listening to Christian music.
Sometime later, after I fell in love with Achtung Baby, a friend showed me how lyrics from "Until the End of the World" were right out of the Bible. This turned my world upside down. The biggest band at the time's best album had Biblical lyrics! I still site that song as the one that changed my life and led me to seek out my own identity in Christ, rather than simply following the Christian culture at the time. Bono has since been a primary source of inspiration and has time and time again pointed me toward Christ. God bless the U2 boys.

Bono the Theologian - truer words have not been spoken in this forum.

Bono is that - and a whole lot more.:wink:

Like Guggi said - angels will walk amongst us and we will not know (see) them.

I do.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:angel:

coemgen said:
I used to listen to heavy metal growing up (of course I think it's all crap now). Anywho, my parents didn't like the lyrics of some of the songs, but I wasn't paying attention to the lyrics. I just liked the music. Then my mom got me some Christian music. I loved the lyrics, but I thought the songs were crap. I later got made fun of by some other kids for listening to Christian music.
Sometime later, after I fell in love with Achtung Baby, a friend showed me how lyrics from "Until the End of the World" were right out of the Bible. This turned my world upside down. The biggest band at the time's best album had Biblical lyrics! I still site that song as the one that changed my life and led me to seek out my own identity in Christ, rather than simply following the Christian culture at the time. Bono has since been a primary source of inspiration and has time and time again pointed me toward Christ. God bless the U2 boys.

Thanks for your story here coemgen. Mine is similar except it was my brother who pointed out the substance of the U2 catalogue, and back in the pre-JT era. However it has really been especially in the last 5 years that I have found U2 to be such an inspiration in my continuing spiritual formation.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
I have climbed the highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you.

I have run, I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you.

But I still haven't found
What I'm looking for.
What I'm looking for.

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her finger tips
It burned like fire
(I was) burning inside her.

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone.

What I'm looking for.
What I'm looking for.

I believe in the Kingdom Come
Then all the colours will bleed into one
Bleed into one.
But yes, I'm still running.

You broke the bonds
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross of my shame
Oh my shame, you know I believe it.

Now! do i know what bonoism means! Wow! Where The Streets Have No Name
I wanna run, I want to hide
I wanna tear down the walls
That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name.

I wanna feel sunlight on my face.
I see the dust-cloud
Disappear without a trace.
I wanna take shelter
From the poison rain
Where the streets have no name

We're still building and burning down love
Burning down love.
And when I go there
I go there with you
(It's all I can do).

The city's a flood, and our love turns to rust.
We're beaten and blown by the wind
Trampled in dust.
I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain

We're still building and burning down love
Burning down love.
And when I go there
I go there with you
(It's all I can do).

U2 HEAVEN!!!!

The Epistles to Ephesians and Romans and some admonishments 10 Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength. (N) 11 Put on (O) the full armor (P) of God so that you can stand against the tactics [e] of the Devil. 12 For our battle is not against flesh (Q) and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, (R) against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil (S) in the heavens. (T) 13 This is why you must take up the full armor (U) of God, so that you may be able to resist (V) in the evil day, and having prepared everything, to take your stand...... A lot of believers get defeated not knowing the full scale of attack by satan and his minions, mentioned in the scripture above. They[the kingdom of darkness], at every chance seek to undermine Gods plan for our lives. Be on gaurd and alert we are in warfare a spiritual one! Whenever doubt seeps in your mind, remember; Romans 8:1&21 Therefore, no condemnation (A) now exists for those in (B) Christ Jesus, (C) [a] 2 because the Spirit's law of life (D) in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. and vs. 28&29 28 We know that all things work together [n] for the good [o] of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose. (AX) 29 For those He foreknew (AY) [p] He also predestined (AZ) to be conformed to the image of His Son ......Thats right we are BEING CONFORMED to His image! So take heart WE ARE BEING conformed!!!!

Back
Top Bottom