Bono on his spiritual growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From their new book, U2 By U2:

Your nature is a hard thing to change; it takes time. One of the extraordinary transferences that happen in your spiritual life is not that your character flaws go away but they start to work for you. A negative becomes a positive: you've a big mouth: you end up a singer. You're insecure: you end up a performer who needs applause. I have heard of people having life-changing, miraculous turn-arounds, people set free from addiction after a single prayer, relationships saved where both parties 'let go, and let God'. But it was not like that for me. For all that 'I was lost, I am found', it is probably more accurate to say, 'I was really lost, I'm a little less so at the moment.' And then a little less and a little less again. That to me is the spiritual life. The slow reworking and rebooting of a computer at regular inervals, reading the small print of the service manual. It has slowly rebuilt me in a better image. It has taken years, though, and it is not over yet.

I love that, thanks biff :)

In my opinion if you ever think you have achieved complete spirtitual growth, you have no idea what it is. It's a never ending process. I like people who have questions, not answers.

I absolutely love this! What a shame that most so-called "Christians" can't make an admission like this! I know of many who have, but many who can't and/or refuse to either. Bono shows the power of a transformed life (that is still being transformed), and is absolutely correct. We will continue to have weaknesses and imperfections b/c we are not in Heaven yet. God allows us these, so we keep trusting Him for our salvation and strength.:yes: Bono is spot-on. He may not be where he wants to be, but none of us are! As one of my favorite evangelists, Joyce Meyer, always says, "You may not be where you want to be, but you can thank God you're not where you used to be." Amen! On a side note: I want to start a new thread, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. Can anyone help? Thank you and God Bless!!

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh/U2

One more question: Are all of these statements (including the one above) recent? Are they collected from the time U2 began, or are new and/or written specifically for this book? Just wondering.

"What no man can own, No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

U2isthebest said:
One more question: Are all of these statements (including the one above) recent? Are they collected from the time U2 began, or are new and/or written specifically for this book? Just wondering.

The quote above is extremely recent. It's part of the forward that Bono wrote for the new book (not officially released yet), entitled U2 By U2. It should be in stores by the end of the month.

To answer your earlier question: When you enter this forum, go right down to the bottom of the page, past all of the thread titles.
Near the bottom, on the left, you'll see a dark blue box that says, "Post". Click on this and the rest should be self-explanatory.
You might have a problem in that you are very new and I seem to recall that people need a mimimum of 15 posts before they can start a new thread. But I might be mis-remembering that. If you do have a problem, I would be happy to start the new thread for you. Alternatively, you could just go post-crazy!:D

Thank you so much! I think I'll just go post crazy. LOL. I don't want to trouble anyone. Thanks for the book excerpts too! I can't wait to pick it up. I also want to get "Bono: In Conversation" Are there any good books about U2 that you suggest?

"What no man can own...No man can take.": Yahweh-U2

U2isthebest said:
Thank you so much! I think I'll just go post crazy. LOL. I don't want to trouble anyone. Thanks for the book excerpts too! I can't wait to pick it up. I also want to get "Bono: In Conversation" Are there any good books about U2 that you suggest?

"U2 At the End of the World" by Bill Flanagan is the best (in my opinion). Most U2 fans seem to agree. It's often referred to as "the U2 Bible". "Faraway So Close" by bp fallon is also good but pretty hard to find. I think you would also appreciate "Bono in Conversation" as he talks a great deal about his faith in that book. The other two books are about the band and not just Bono. Avoid at all costs "Bono In the Name of Love". The Jackson biography is also very poor. And do NOT buy the book by Lola Cashman; it's egregious.

If you go to the Every Artist is a Cannibal forum, you will find a lot more info on U2 books.

Thank you so much! What do you think about "Walk On" by Steve Stockman. I've heard arguments equally on both sides of the fence for that. Btw, the Lola Cashman, is she the woman they fired? Wow, I wonder why she wrote a book. What kind of claims did she make?

U2isthebest said:
Thank you so much! What do you think about "Walk On" by Steve Stockman. I've heard arguments equally on both sides of the fence for that. Btw, the Lola Cashman, is she the woman they fired? Wow, I wonder why she wrote a book. What kind of claims did she make?

If you go on amazon, you can read excerpts from Cashmans book and just some of the things she said like how secretive about things Bono wanted to do and how he wanted to dress everyone was such :censored:you can tell he wouldn't do some of the things she said just based on what we know about him.

I also liked what Bono said about being "reprogrammed into a better man". To me, the small print in the manual is the scriptures. I can't change my nature and heart on my own, but I have found that when I am 'in' the scriptures and 'in' prayer and actively living out my faith...something or someone is changing me. The process is slow, however, and I have found that I am sometimes resistant to the change. Like Bono said, I still have a long way to go, but I am thankful for how I have been "reprogrammed" so far....and God willing...I will be able to continue to change and grow as I experience more of his love.

Amen!:applaud: I absolutely agree. Bono is definitely talking about The Bible, and I think he is also trying to say that we can't pick and choose the "big ones". We have to allow ourselves to be taken in and transformed by everything, even the seemingly less siginificant Scriptures. I can't help but gush whenever I read this statement. If only the critics of Bono's faith would read this. Just because they seem to consider themselves "Sister Spiritual" and "Brother Super-Christian" doesn't mean that others aren't willing to humble themselves before God, and say all of my desire and strength to change comes from God and not myself. Hallelujah. God's Hand is on Bono's life like never before. God Bless!!

Back
Top Bottom