Bono is Named "Spiritual Hero of the Year"!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Bono has just been named as "Spiritual Hero of the Year" by Science of Mind magazine in its January 2006 edition!

As I don't have a copy of the magazine yet, all I can tell you is that their magazine cover features that infamous picture of Bono kissing the cross that Pope John Paul II gave him after he draped it over the microphone at the April 2, 2005 (I think) concert.

It appears that the actual article will be about Bono's "In Conversation" book that came out earlier this year.

Here's the link:

http://www.scienceofmind.com/site/links_from_magazine/jan_06.html

As an occasional reader of this magazine, I'm DEFINITELY going to check this edition out!

BONO TRULY IS A SPIRITUAL HERO FOR ANY YEAR.... :yes:

I absolutely ADORED Mischka's In Conversation book. It was THAT book that really rang through to me how spiritual Bono really is and it awakened me to a lot of my own spirituality and thinking. So it doesn't surprise me that he would also be featured as a Spiritual Hero! Amazing soul that Mr Paul Hewson really is! Thanks for finding all of these unique articles and sharing them with us, Deb! Bless YOU!

Bless you too, my friend. ;)

The important thing about Bono's immense spirituality is the path that he took to discover it.

Bono has admitted that he has lost his way a few times in his journey to God but that Grace has always come back to find him.

So it is in Bono's ability and willingness to admit his failings (whatever they are) to God and to believe that God would send His/Her Grace to rescue him and lift him up that greatly has made him into the tremendous spiritual person Bono is today.

His journey to God is a lesson for us all to learn from.

I know that I have. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:
Bono has just been named as "Spiritual Hero of the Year" by Science of Mind magazine in its January 2006 edition!

As I don't have a copy of the magazine yet, all I can tell you is that their magazine cover features that infamous picture of Bono kissing the cross that Pope John Paul II gave him after he draped it over the microphone at the April 2, 2005 (I think) concert.

It appears that the actual article will be about Bono's "In Conversation" book that came out earlier this year.

Here's the link:

http://www.scienceofmind.com/site/links_from_magazine/jan_06.html

As an occasional reader of this magazine, I'm DEFINITELY going to check this edition out!

BONO TRULY IS A SPIRITUAL HERO FOR ANY YEAR.... :yes:

I've had this magazine for 2 weeks now. I tried emailing Carrie the information, but didn't hear back. I've searched online for it, but to no avail. Seems the magazine's website doesn't change it's home page (or they are way behind). The cover has Bono on stage bending down to kiss his rosary beads that are hanging from his mic stand. No real revelations here (all info we all know), but it was nice to see. I don't know how to get a pic of the magazine to my computer, or I would have done it 2 weeks ago :reject: And no, the article has nothing to really do with Mischka's book, but it may be used as a reference or for a quote, I don't remember exactly :reject:

My mom-in-law gets this magazine & was so proud to show it to me last week. :cute: And although I didn't read a single thing I didn't already know, it is a good article - for those of us who don't live & breathe U2 constantly. :laugh: :up:

:heart: :bono: :heart:

Lila, if you had the magazine for two weeks now why didn't you post about it?

Even if there was a mix up with emailing the info to Carrie, you still could have shared it with us. :ohmy:

And I don't like the term "hero" either but who am I to dispute what this magazine wants to do?

At least it's positive press in a spiritual magazine for Bono which is great as I see it.

I don't know who wouldn't approve of this press recognition.

CoExisT :wink:

Jamila said:

Even if there was a mix up with emailing the info to Carrie, you still could have shared it with us. :ohmy:

And I don't like the term "hero" either but who am I to dispute what this magazine wants to do?

At least it's positive press in a spiritual magazine for Bono which is great as I see it.

I figured that the Science Of Mind site would have to update soon and put the cover/info up on it. I guess I was wrong. I did post some info about it during a setlist party, but practically no one noticed or seemed to care. :shrug: And Carrie never answered and asked, so I waited a little bit to see if I could find it online - but no luck. I was going to email the author of the article, but the holidays came & it's been pretty hectic here. And I didn't have any time to re-type the article, sorry. My friend had received a gift subscription to the magazine and when she saw Bono on the cover, gave it (almost) immediately to me. :reject:

Lila64 said:

And I didn't have any time to re-type the article, sorry.

Why are you sorry about not being able to find the time to laboriously re-type a lengthy article? You shouldn't feel guilty about that, and no one should be trying to make you feel that way. That's an unreasonable expectation that someone is foisting on you.
That article was in the public domain for two weeks; that's hardly your fault. (The word "coexist" is being twisted into all kinds of strange and distorted shapes these days.):|

biff said:

Why are you sorry about not being able to find the time to laboriously re-type a lengthy article? You shouldn't feel guilty about that, and no one should be trying to make you feel that way. That's an unreasonable expectation that someone is foisting on you.
That article was in the public domain for two weeks; that's hardly your fault. (The word "coexist" is being twisted into all kinds of strange and distorted shapes these days.):|

Exactly. I've known about the article for a few weeks as well...a relative of mine (who is also an Interference member) belongs to the Church of Religious Science and was shown a copy of the magazine by a fellow church member as soon as it came out. Unfortunately, it wasn't hers to keep so she was waiting for it to show up on line, just as Lila was doing. Even if she had been able to keep it for scanning purposes, she's been busy with church activities and the holidays so as horrifying as it might sound to some, this just wasn't a priority.

I didn't feel bad about not typing up the article. I wanted to share it with everyone, or at least the fact the issue was out and he was on the cover, etc. I wish I knew how to share it, that's all. I've checked the magazine's :censored: website daily to see if the old man's (Jack Canfield) mag cover was updated, but it ain't so. So I guess until someone shows me how to hook up my digital camera to my computer (software, cables, who knows what else), I can't take pics and share... But you can come over and view it if you like :wink:

Jamila said:

Maybe she didn´t have time/feel like typing the whole article? You can´t possible expect people to drop everything they are doing just to post articles about the band whenever they come out.

She seemed upset (the words were in bold print) - I was simply offering her a solution.

Is that a problem? :eyebrow:

Jamila said:
She seemed upset (the words were in bold print) - I was simply offering her a solution.

Is that a problem? :eyebrow:

Maybe you used the wrong wording because it sounded more like you were scolding her for not posting it before rather than offering her a solution.

I just that I would give y'all a bit of the really wonderful ideas that can be found in this magazine.

Here are the daily affirmations for the last few days to give you a flavor of this very POSITIVE THINKING magazine:

Daily Affirmation

December 25, 2005

Today, I remember that the gifts of Christmas are not only in the presents underneath the tree, but in the love and compassion that I bring to others. I give myself time to bask in the inner radiance of my soul, my true identity.

Daily Affirmation

December 26, 2005

Today, I light a candle in support of freedom. I trust that the Divine supports this inalienable right for all. I give thanks for the symbol of freedom that the Festival of Lights creates in the world.

Daily Affirmation

December 27, 2005

Today, I look at the mystery of my life with new eyes. I bless those challenges as opportunities to bring forth the spiritual power within me. I see my difficulties as initiations into the deeper mysteries of my connection with God.

Daily Affirmation

December 29, 2005

Today, I forgive myself and others. I claim the freedom of a loving heart. I let go and give thanks for the grace of God that allows my heart and soul to be free through forgiveness.

Hopefully this little taste of the very uplifting ideas in "Science of Mind" magazine will encourage y'all to go out and get the January 2006 edition with Bono on the cover!

Take good care, everyone. Blessings always.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I finally found a copy of this issue today at Borders - and it is a BEAUTIFUL edition. :wink:

The article about Bono is awesome but there are several other articles in the magazine which are also note-worthy.

One of the best articles is about "365 Days of Prosperity Living" with the wonderful idea "Love is so extraordinary and magical when you operate from the highest energy of 'I am Love' ".

I would definitely recommend y'all picking up a copy of this issue for Bono and for all the other lovely and truthful ideas expressed in this mag. :wink:

Jamila said:
I just that I would give y'all a bit of the really wonderful ideas that can be found in this magazine.

Here are the daily affirmations for the last few days to give you a flavor of this very POSITIVE THINKING magazine:

Daily Affirmation

December 25, 2005

Today, I remember that the gifts of Christmas are not only in the presents underneath the tree, but in the love and compassion that I bring to others. I give myself time to bask in the inner radiance of my soul, my true identity.

Daily Affirmation

December 26, 2005

Today, I light a candle in support of freedom. I trust that the Divine supports this inalienable right for all. I give thanks for the symbol of freedom that the Festival of Lights creates in the world.

Daily Affirmation

December 27, 2005

Today, I look at the mystery of my life with new eyes. I bless those challenges as opportunities to bring forth the spiritual power within me. I see my difficulties as initiations into the deeper mysteries of my connection with God.

Daily Affirmation

December 29, 2005

Today, I forgive myself and others. I claim the freedom of a loving heart. I let go and give thanks for the grace of God that allows my heart and soul to be free through forgiveness.

Hopefully this little taste of the very uplifting ideas in "Science of Mind" magazine will encourage y'all to go out and get the January 2006 edition with Bono on the cover!

Take good care, everyone. Blessings always.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Good stuff!! :heart:

happy new year!

I'm just very impressed by how a band that happens to have a Christian message is not only being widely received, but embraced by the world. This was not an easy thing to accomplish, and it was not a coincidence. I'm very inspired, and glad U2 is still going strong!!!

Happy New Year's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SunBloc said:
I'm just very impressed by how a band that happens to have a Christian message is not only being widely received, but embraced by the world. This was not an easy thing to accomplish, and it was not a coincidence. I'm very inspired, and glad U2 is still going strong!!!

Happy New Year's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel the exact same way, SunBloc. :wink:

Thanks for your very sincere input in to this thread.

And thanks, hiphop. :up:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

looks like they finally updated their website:
28614index_cover-january.jpg

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Hero? I think that´s pushing it a little bit.

I mean, his spirituality is definately a good example but I wouldn´t say he is a hero in that regard.

I agree, Flavia. I've read the Conversations book and pretty much every piece on Bono available in English and I've always thought found his religiosity, or at least that which he chooses to express publicly, a little shallow. Not shallow in the negative sense, but shallow in that I can't really find anything he says that gives me a hint towards his personal convictions and theology. I'm sure it's there, and I completely respect his choice not to share that with the world, and I have no expectation that he would, but a "hero" is someone who REALLY goes out on a limb, so to speak, and spiritually/religiously/theologically, Bono doesn't. He's made some well published statements like 'religion is when God leaves the building' (not a direct quote there, but he's said something to that effect numerous times), but even a statement like that that might sound radical is really one of the points of the entire Protestant Reformation, so nothing new. I sometimes wish Bono would go into a bit more detail regarding his personal faith, especially coming from two theologically irreconcilable backgrounds (Catholicism and Protestantism), but like I said, it's his choice not to and I respect him for that. I just hope he doesn't feel like he needs to keep his mouth shut in order to maintain a wider audience or not piss anyone off.

I hope the magazine didn't choose Bono in an effort to appeal to a wider audience of their own.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Not shallow in the negative sense, but shallow in that I can't really find anything he says that gives me a hint towards his personal convictions and theology. I'm sure it's there, and I completely respect his choice not to share that with the world, and I have no expectation that he would, but a "hero" is someone who REALLY goes out on a limb, so to speak, and spiritually/religiously/theologically, Bono doesn't. I sometimes wish Bono would go into a bit more detail regarding his personal faith, especially coming from two theologically irreconcilable backgrounds (Catholicism and Protestantism), but like I said, it's his choice not to and I respect him for that. I just hope he doesn't feel like he needs to keep his mouth shut in order to maintain a wider audience or not piss anyone off.

I agree that "hero" is too strong, but I guess there's not a lot of well-known, magazine-worthy competition for that title. I also, like you, would really love to know what his core beliefs are; he's obviously a man of depth, so I'm sure he's thought things through. But as he says: "I try to live it rather than talk about it because there are enough secondhand-car salesmen for God." I think he's disgusted by people who talk glibly about their 'beliefs'.

Perhaps the one way in which he possibly has been a hero is the manner in which he really has gone 'out on a limb' to find common ground with people he might in many other ways revile. That really has been rather brave. And that has been the key to whatever success he has had so far in his work towards social justice.

Bono's American Wife said:

Exactly. I've known about the article for a few weeks as well...a relative of mine (who is also an Interference member) belongs to the Church of Religious Science and was shown a copy of the magazine by a fellow church member as soon as it came out. Unfortunately, it wasn't hers to keep so she was waiting for it to show up on line, just as Lila was doing. Even if she had been able to keep it for scanning purposes, she's been busy with church activities and the holidays so as horrifying as it might sound to some, this just wasn't a priority.

Thanks, Char! :up: I was waiting for it to show up online. However because the magazine has daily affirmations, etc. they don't change the cover until the first day of the month. And because I am living between two households, I never had a chance to scan it.

Then yesterday I remembered it and made the thread in FYM. :shrug:

It's all good. :D

Back
Top Bottom