"Bono couldn't be a Christian because.."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
....because "blessings & cursings can't come from the same mouth according to the Bible."

This argument was presented to me last night by a recently-converted Christian. How would you respond?

By saying this: "Everything written in the Bible is not meant to be taken literally."

Also, I'm a bit confused - is this person saying that just because Bono uses curse words, he couldn't be a Christian, or because somehow Bono is putting curses on people? Either way, that's a very...um...interesting view of what a Christian is.

Oh, for crying out loud.

This is the passage s/he's referring to, from James 3, which has a long section about using words in a loving way:

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."

James is writing to Christians (surely no one would dispute that), exhorting them to cut down on the amount of vicious speech they're doing because it really isn't in keeping with the ideals they claim. It has nothing to do with the use of English "curse words."

I haven't heard Bono curse much of anybody in that sense ever.

In a wider sense, since I suspect anyone who would be in an environment that would pick verses out of the Bible out of context that way would claim to believe that accepting Christ by faith is the be-all and end-all of Christianity, I would ask the person, "so for you then what makes someone a Christian isn't faith in Christ, but following a law code of behavior?" and see how they responded.

If s/he is interested in U2, pass along a copy of _Walk On_ == Stockman answers this kind of malarkey beautifully.

Thanks, mebythesea. I knew that verse had to have been out of context, as I thought the "cursings" referred to calling people fools to their face & generally degrading another human being. However, I was too lazy to word-search that verse.
That's basically what I tried to explain to her, though. No luck.

I thought about giving her a copy of "Walk-On" (the book) when I see her again next week. She's just now getting into Christianity, so I cut her 'some' slack for her comment.

Originally posted by mebythesea:
Oh, for crying out loud...

If s/he is interested in U2, pass along a copy of _Walk On_ == Stockman answers this kind of malarkey beautifully.
biggrin.gif
at your response, mebythesea. Well done. Good luck, bonofnattic.

And speakin' of Walk On, the book -- WHADYALL THINK?? Feel free to start a thread on your favourite bit, or, you know, maybe a whole new forum...
wink.gif

awaiting eagerly,
Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by bonofnattic:

.. recently-converted Christian.

I think this explains a lot. New converts to anything are very excited and get a little carried away sometimes.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Originally posted by mebythesea:
Oh, for crying out loud.

LOL!! You just saved me from going off about the whole "cursing"-but-that's-not-christian thing! and I got VERY confused when she meant that bono was literally cursing people??
confused.gif
loll!

Deb- don't worry baby! my notes are pilin up!!

------------------
You say that the river finds the way to the sea...
...and like the river you shall come to me

U2 Take Me Higher
Mr. Macphisto's Mansion

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 03-26-2002).]

I always think it's amusing how many Christians I know that tell me not to be cruel ('cos I'm SOOOO cruel
rolleyes.gif
) but the next words out of their mouth is a judgement. Heh, then they get mad if I call them on it. This is why I try not to talk religion with just anybody....'cos it's a difficult subject to word and talk about.

------------------
I will not expose the ignorance of the faculty.

Back
Top Bottom