Bono confesses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SummerLily said:

"the church" was believing more in icons/idols/artifacts (such as rosaries or whatever the Catholic church was "peddling" to the people at that time to generate more and more riches for the Roman Catholic church). I hope I am not offending any of you Catholics out there; I am just trying to describe through historic facts how "protestantism" found it's "beginnings".

No offense taken. I hope we are all here to try and learn something.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church makes very clear the stance against idolatry.

Catholics use statuary and other icons in the same way most people use photographs of their children on their desks at the office: to remind them of someone. A statue of Christ reminds us where all salvation comes from. Seeing an icon of Mary reminds us of her humility before her Son and Savior.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times Catholics tell a Protestant ---Catholics don't worship plaster, wood, or marble.

Is it the respect shown for sacred objects that's the problem? Catholics bow to icons and pray in front of (not to!) statues -- surely that's idolatry, eh? Nope.
When the American flag comes out, our hands go over our hearts. Are we worshipping cloth? I think not, and most Americans know the difference between respect shown for one's country through the flag and "cloth-worship."
We also kiss pictures of family members, but we're not in love with photographs per se.

BOYO3221 said:

what i am saying is the bible says that salvation is a free gift, with no strings attached. meaning even if you did not ever do good works, as long as you were born again you will go to heaven.

First, Catholics ultimately believe that we are saved, not by faith or works, but by Jesus Christ and Him alone.

Jesus Christ's death and Resurrection is the sole source of our justification (being in a right relationship with God) and salvation (sharing in God's divine life). But as a result of Christ's death and resurrection, we are now able to receive God's grace. Grace is God's own divine life which He infuses into our souls. It is what Adam initially lost for us, and Christ won back for us. This grace initially causes us to seek God and to believe in Him (the "faith" part). Non-Catholics generally stop here.

But God desires us to respond to His grace by putting our faith into action (the "works" part). This is why Jesus always taught about our salvation in the context of what we actually did during our earthly lives, and not how much faith we had ("whatever you did to the least of my brothers, you did to Me." Matthew 25:40,45).
When Jesus teaches about His second coming where He will separate the sheep from the goats, He bases salvation and damnation upon what we actually did ("works"), whether righteous or evil. Matthew 25:31-46.
In James 2:14-26, James is similarly instructing us to put our faith into action by performing good works, and not just giving an intellectual assent of faith. James says such "faith apart from works is dead." James 2:17,26.

So we must do more than accept Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. Even the demons believe Jesus is Savior, and yet "they tremble." James 2:19. We must also do good works.
Faith is the beginning of a process that leads us toward justification, but faith alone never obtains the grace of justification. Faith and works acting together achieve our justification.
Saint Paul says it best when he writes that we need "faith working in love." Galatians 5:6. We are not justified and saved by faith alone.

learn2kneel said:

so what does Ephesians 2:8-9 mean when they say,

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast."

Hope this helps:

It is important to distinguish between the "works" James taught about in James 2:24 and the "works of the law" Saint Paul taught about in Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16,21; 3:2,5,10; and Eph. 2:8-9.

Protestants generally confuse James' "good works" from Paul's "works of the law" when they attempt to prove that "works" are irrelevant to justification and salvation. The "works of the law" Paul taught about in Ephesians 2:8-9 and elsewhere referred to the Mosaic (Jewish) law and their legal system that made God obligated to reward them for their works.

They would thus “boast” about their works by attributing their works to themselves. Cf. Rom. 4:2; Eph. 2:9.

Saint Paul taught that, with the coming of Christ, the Mosaic (moral, legal, and ceremonial) law which made God a debtor to us no longer justified a person.
Instead, Paul taught that we are now justified and saved by grace (not legal obligation) through faith (not works of law). Eph. 2:5,8. Hence, we no longer “boast” by attributing our works to ourselves. We attribute them to God who gives everything to us freely by His grace.

Therefore, we are no longer required to fulfill the “works of law,” but to fulfill the “law of Christ” Gal. 6:2. This is why Paul writes that the “doers of the law (of Christ)” will be justified. Rom. 2:13.
Of course, the “works of the law” Paul wrote about in Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16,21; 3:2,5,10 and Eph. 2:8-9 have nothing to do with the “good works” James is teaching in James 2:24 or the “law” Paul is teaching about in Rom. 2:13 (because they are part of the same Word of God which can never contradict itself).

In summary, based on the Scriptures, the Catholic Church has taught for 2,000 years that we are justified and saved by the grace and mercy of Christ through both faith and works, and not faith alone.
We are no longer in a legal system of debt where God owes us (creditor/debtor). We are now in a system of grace where God rewards our works when done with faith in Christ (Father/child).

This also means that we must continue to exercise our faith and works.
This is also why Saint Paul warned us that we could even lose our salvation if we did not persevere. cf. Romans 11:20-23; 1 Corinthians 9:27.
This Catholic belief contradicts the novel Protestant notion of "once saved, always saved."

SummerLily said:

What many of us protestants believe is that we would like one church and one name -- just Christian (based upon the word of God).

From what I've read, Bono, Edge and Larry (in their early days) belonged to what is called a non-denominational church (which is basically a church based on a mingling together of ALL protestant denominations), which is the type of Church I belong to.

The members of U2 ultimately left that group because of pressure from them to have to choose between their careers or God,--- very fundamentalist, Puritan.

"we would like one church and one name -- just Christian (based upon the word of God). "

It's not possible to have just one Protestant church. There are thousands out there. What began with the revolt of Luther rocketed to a downward spiral of confusion and misunderstanding that splintered even his own church, leading to more and more splintering, hence so many present day denominations.

Per the guidelines of this forum:-

"This is a general discussion area about U2 and their faith as found in their lyrics, their own words, as well as books written by others on this subject of their spirituality.

Not to be used for debates/discussions/etc on religion (use Free Your Mind for that)."

Thanks for mentioning it, financeguy. I don't want to rain on anyone's religious discussion but perhaps we could keep the pro/con Catholic/Protestant debate to FYM? Thanks. :)

redhotswami said:
:lol: the oh snap part totally makes it! :highfive: (i'm gonna keep doing that til a highfive smiley is made)

We SO need a high five guy...We need to get Kaf. on that! And yes, I love Oh Snap! My friends and I say that all the time...we're SO ghetto...:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom