Bono & The aWAKE Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Soar

War Child
I was looking up the details of the January release of the U2 Tribute album by Christian music artists - In The Name Of Love: Artists United For Africa. The cover version of Beautiful Day has already been released and I?ve found it to be very impressive. ?A portion of the proceeds from it will go directly to help fight the African AIDS crisis. In addition, the CD will be enhanced and will feature written excerpts from Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 (Relevant Books) and The aWAKE Project: Uniting Against the African AIDS Crisis (Thomas Nelson).? (Manhunt.com) Good song selection: Where The Streets Have No Name / Pride / One / With Or Without You / All I Want Is You / Mysterious Ways / Beautiful Day Love Is Blindness / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Gloria / When Love Came To Town / Grace / 40. Hopefully this particular album can further awaken the Churches (and maybe even some in the general public too) to this Campaign.). And I was curious as to what was this aWAKE Project and what was Bono?s involvement. I found this contribution by Bono. This was broadcast at a number of Christian Music Festivals! But wouldn?t it haven?t wonderful if it was broadcast during worship services in thousands of churches too (followed by a sermon on it)?

BONO
Recording Artist
Transcript of Video Message Recorded for Christian Music Festivals, plus Extrapolations

Thanks for listening to this video message - I really appreciate it. I went to Africa recently and came back with some facts I?d like to share with you. Some of you may know these, some of you may not, but they are all still mind-blowing.

Twenty-five million people in Africa now have HIV. Think about that - twenty-five million people in Africa are HIV positive. Thirteen million children are orphans because their parents have died from AIDS - and this figure is expected to double by the end of the decade.

Today - in the next twenty-four hours - 5,500 Africans will die of AIDS. Today in childbirth 1,400 African mothers will pass on HIV to their newborns.

If this isn?t an emergency, what is? In the Scriptures we are not advised to love our neighbor, we are commanded. The Church needs to lead the way here, not drag its heels. The government needs guidance. We discuss; we debate; we put our hands in our pockets. We are generous even.

But, I tell you, God is not looking for alms; God is looking for action. He is not just looking for our loose change ? he?s looking for a tighter contract between us and our neighbor.

Africa is America?s neighbor. Africa is Europe?s neighbor. We are daily standing by while millions of people die for the stupidest reason of all: money.

There is a growing movement for Jubilee in the United States. I love that word Jubilee - it suggests joy in a new beginning free from the bondage of slavery of any kind. In this instance, economic slavery. Let?s not forget that redemption is an economic term. We need to drop the debt and end the ridiculous situation where today?s generations in the poorest countries have to spend what little they have paying back old loans rather than investing in health, education, and clean water. We need to make trade rules more fair. If we?re serious, we need to let these countries put their products on our shelves and stop refusing them what we demand for ourselves - autonomy in managing their own markets.

And finally, all rich countries need to increase development assistance to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa. This is not about throwing money away but about using our national wealth to improve the lives of the poorest people in the world. At the moment, of the twenty-two richest countries, the U.S. is at the bottom of the list when you look at how much the government is planning to give to foreign assistance as a proportion of overall wealth: 0.15 percent of GDP. And almost half of this goes to middle income countries. The UK and Ireland are at 0.32 percent. All countries need to get the level of the Scandinavians: 0.7 percent. Americans are generous people. This doesn?t make sense. Their personal giving is in line with everyone else.

I should be preaching to the converted here. There are 2,300 verses of Scripture pertaining to the poor. History will judge us on how we deal with this crisis. God will judge us even harder.

Let me tell you about Jonah. In Soweto, I met a man called Jonah. He was an extraordinary-looking young man, striking and fit. Five years ago he weighed half his body weight; he was covered in scars from scratching a terrible skin rash; he was bed-ridden with TB. He had no hope - the cost of medication was totally beyond his family?s reach. But, he managed to get onto a Medicine sans Frontiers program, and soon his life was transformed by anti-retrovirals. We were excited; he was excited. He told us that his wife had died of AIDS, leaving him with their two children. His kids made him feel even more glad to be alive and healthy. We were excited again. Then he told us that his new love was also HIV positive. She is not part of the ARV program, and there is no way she can afford the drugs.

So here was Jonah?s dilemma. He said he could share his drugs with her and risk that they have no effect. Or, he could give his drugs to her knowing that his children would lose their father to AIDS. Or he said, I can keep the drugs and lose the woman I love, now the mother to my children. In my opinion, that?s a decision that no civilized world should ask Jonah to make.

Look, sometimes we?ve just got to do what we?re told. The children of God have to listen to their Father in Heaven. It?s easy to think that Africa?s problems are caused by natural calamity and corruption and have nothing to do with us. That?s part of the problem, but the truth is also that the relationship between the developed and the developing world has been so wrong so for long - corrupt actually.

It?s the start of the twenty-first century; it?s time to put this right. Charity alone will not work. We need a new partnership based on justice and equality. We need to remind ourselves that God will not accept our acceptance of lives made wretched by a geographical accident of latitude and longitude.

We must wake up the sleeping giant of the Church; we must set alarm clocks to rouse our politicians who also slumber. The choice is there before each and every one of us: to stop and tend to the distant pilgrim sick on the side of the road, or, a nervous glance, and we turn away . . . away from the pilgrim, away from God?s grace. Written for The aWAKE Project, Copyright ? 2002 by Bono.

It looks like an interesting and comprehensive book!

The aWAKE Project: Uniting Against The African AIDS Crisis

By: Jenny Eaton & Kate Etue, comps.
Thomas Nelson Inc. - 304 Pages - October 17 / 2002

Description: aWAKE stands for AIDS: Working toward Awareness, Knowledge and Engagement. 34 million people in the sub-Saharan Africa have been infected with HIV. 90% of the newly-infected are children. By the year 2010 there will be 40 million AIDS orphans in Africa. Evangelical Christians are the least likely to help the AIDS victimes in Africa: less than 3% said they would. The aWAKE Project is about action. In this rare collection, voices from across the world unite to combat these AIDS pandemic. Five people die every minute from this horrific plague. What will you do about it?

In June of 2001, Dr. Volney P. Gay, Chair of the Department of Religious Studies at Vanderbilt University, using a grant from the Templeton Foundation, conceived of a conference called AIDS and Africa: Science and Religion to take place on October 19, 2002. In June of 2002, he and Jenny Eaton, a Vanderbilt Ph.D. candidate and editor at Thomas Nelson, Inc., hosted a luncheon with Thomas Nelson colleagues David Moberg, Jerry Park, and Kate Etue. At that table was born The aWAKE Project.

Letters from the Editors
Foreword - Melvin L. Cheatham M.D.
Preface - His Majesty King Mswati III
Introduction Tony Campolo
Part I: Awareness
Edward Thomspons - AIDS, My Friend, AIDS
Johanna McGeary - Death Stalks a Continent
Nelson Mandela - Address at the Closing of the XIV International AIDS Conference
William H. Frist, M.D. - Taking Our Stand Against HIV/AIDS
Mary Graham - Help Me Be Like You
Desmond Tutu - Christmas Sermon: Washington National Cathedral
Margaret Becker - Hope for the Hopeless
Jimmy Carter - Faith-based Groups Confronting HIV/AIDS
Jeffrey Sachs and Sonia Ehrlich Sachs - AIDS and Africa: Where is the U.S.?
Kevin Max - Twenty-first Century Miracle Man
Jesse Helms - We Cannot Turn Away
Kofi Annan - We Can Beat AIDS
Out of Eden - The First To Help
Dikembe Mutombo - Corporate Council on Africa: Remarks
Luci Swindoll - Love Brings Healing
Michael Tait - The Effect of AIDS in the Conscience, Heart and Mind
Charlie Peacock - Africa, It's Personal
Olusegun Obasanjo - Letter to the Southern Baptist Convention
Bono ? Transcript of Video Message

Part II: Knowledge
Nadine Gordimer - Once Upon a Time
Philip Yancey - Jogging Past the AIDS Clinic
Jamila Paksima - A Day in South Africa
Stephen Lewis - AIDS in Africa
George W. Bush - HIV/AIDS in Africa: Rose Garden Speech
Danny Glover - HIV/AIDS and Africa's Poverty
Rachel Gbenyon-Diggs - Africa's Children: A Dying Breed
Helen Epstein and Lincoln Chen - Can AIDS Be Stopped?
Richard Stearns - Women and Orphans The Hidden Faces of AIDS
Mark Schoofs - AIDS: The Agony of Africa
Recah Theodosiou - The Friendly City
Gregory Barz - No One Will Listen to Us Unless We Bring Our Drums!: AIDS and Women's Music Performance in Uganda
Paul O'Neil - Speech from the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital
Noelina Nakumisa - Meeting Point: Dignity, Value, and a Certain Degree of
Humanity
The World Bank Report - Intensifying Action Against HIV/AIDS in Africa
Vladimir Bertaud, M.D. AIDS In Africa: Epidemiology, Clinical Spectrum, and Control Interventions
John Waliggo - African Christology in a Situation of Suffering

Part III: Engagement
Prayer
How to Correspond with a Government Official
How to Get Involved with Existing Organizations
How Your Community or Church Can Make a Difference
How to Sponsor Drug Therapy for HIV+ Mothers and Their Newborn
How to Sponsor Leadership Retreats for Christian HIV/AIDS Workers
How to Foster Community-based Care for AIDS Orphans
How to Offer Pastoral Response: Prevention, Education, Care, and Counseling
How to Provide Meals for Homeless Children
Epilogue
Franklin Graham
Notes
Donations
About the Book
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/religious_studies/aidsafrica/theawakeproject.html

Great speech. Good project.

"In the Scriptures we are not advised to love our neighbor, we are commanded."

"God is not looking for alms; God is looking for action"

"We are daily standing by while millions of people die for the stupidest reason of all: money."

"There are 2,300 verses of Scripture pertaining to the poor. History will judge us on how we deal with this crisis. God will judge us even harder"

"We must wake up the sleeping giant of the Church; we must set alarm clocks to rouse our politicians who also slumber. The choice is there before each and every one of us: to stop and tend to the distant pilgrim sick on the side of the road, or, a nervous glance, and we turn away . . . away from the pilgrim, away from God?s grace"

Christians?

Back
Top Bottom