Bono: A musical Prophet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
I was thinking real hard and heavy about this people.Since Bono was a young man I really think he has paved (through Christ of course) a new road of sorts for Christans.He no doubt has Jesus as the Supreme Being in his life.But he has changed the way I think atlest so much. He showed us Christans do not have to lock ourself into a room with a Bible and not make contact with people who are not of God. So I geuss what I saying is in music he is everying that in the since of rock and roll was not suppose to work or be "cool" he never took drugs,became a drunk,lost all his money to stupid investments,had one women his wife for God knows how long.I mean he is always against the tide, he steps outside the box and he makes his own square.From the eighties when everything was big,overexposed,sex , drugs and whatever else. U2 were out in a desert! ya know what I mean.And somehow it all works .He changes but can same,he is the influencer not the influnced.He has never had a need to drop anything off just add on.And through all u2 has went through Bono remains a force ,challeling his force with Christ as he current.He takes on issues people do not want to even mention.less alone support and he never bulls*** about his thoughts on God, politics and the world view.When he was 23 -24 he was talking about all that stuff,while all the others sung about "cherry pie". He truely is a servent of God.

I have just finished reading (for the second time) Steve Stockman's "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2." The first time I read was right when I started to like U2, so I didn't know all the songs and that he referred to. But now I do ... and I found it so much better.

Bono is an interesting study in Christianity (and I won't go into detail because you covered all the main points, rhythemwire). Because he's not really in either camp, that is, of a "Christian" band or a non-Christian band. So from this position he can influence people on both sides, but in a very subtle way so it doesn't turn anyone away.

Bono as a musical prophet? An interesting proposition. Certainly he is not in the mould of any of his contemporaries. U2 as a band is pretty unique! (And that's why they're my favourite band!) I like the way U2 admits to their own failings and allows people to do the same. So, yes, I would say that Bono has paved a new path - for Christian music listeners at least - to look at their faith in a less traditional sense. And to make us realise that we still haven't found what we're looking for while we're on earth!

Great posts. I know U2 led me to God. Bono is an *amazing* Christian. Only a specially inspired person can give, and lead the way he does.

I have no doubt whatsoever that God brought U2 together. From their rough beginnings through their massive success today, all their ups and downs, their profound music, their charity work...all of this bears God's handprints. As imperfect as these four men are, they have done tremendous work on God's behalf and have shed a very positive light on Christianity. May they continue to do so for many more years. :)

I truly agree with all these posts. I read somewhere that if someone asks Bono if he is Christian he rather say believer. He's been through a lot being around the whole Ireland's Catholic and Preystein conflict.:wink

Last edited:
Cute Irish Bono said:
I read somewhere that if someone asks Bono if he is Christian he rather say believer.

The word "Christian" has gotten an ugly taint due to the actions of certain people who claimed to be Christians but behaved like barbarians. :mad: Today, anyone who calls themselves Christian is automatically lumped in with the likes of Torquemada, the Ku Klux Klan and Jimmy Swaggart. "Oh, you're one of those."

I'm not surprised that Bono refers to himself as a "Believer". Words are powerful, and when one has been tainted, it's very difficult to get it back to its original meaning. I just wish there were a good term to differentiate between a true Christian and the Christian-in-name-only. :(

a prophet? I'm not so sure....a prophet is a medium between man and God. I'm doubtful that God speaks directly to Bono and has appointed him to speak His (the Lord's) words to us. But Bono IS inspiring and influential.

Back
Top Bottom