Bible Lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cute Irish Bono

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I haven't read the bible lately and I know that U2 has bible messages in their lyrics and U2 has a color messages, too. You know, certain colors represent something. My point is if you what certain U2 lyrics or verses of what I am talking about please tell me. Thanks.

one of them is psalms 40 which is obviously the song 40. and about the north and south of the river thing you asked about its about the river liffey. a loch is a lake thing i think, like the loch ness monster. i know that Bono has used the word rejoice a lot because of the bible. and references to judas betraying jesus in until the end of the world...

"See the bird with the leaf in her mouth and after the flood all the colors came out". A reference to Noah's ark. Also, Salome was the dancing girl who wanted and recieved, the decapitated head of John the Baptist.

Maeve said:
"In the garden I was playing the tart, I kissed your lips and broke your heart" perhaps a reference to Judas and Jesus.

Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss in the Garden. so the Roman soldiers could identify Jesus. I remember reading an interview
with Bono saying this tune is about Judas' guilt of betraying
Christ right before he commits suicide by hanging.

RockNRollDawgie said:
"Drowning Man" also has a Bible quote. I forget which Pslam is cited. :)

Isaiah 40:31 - "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

I love that verse, and I love the song.

nbcrusader said:

Thank you for the link. Very interesting analysis. I'm not sure the lyrics presented were necessarily from the passages stated - there could be other references as well.

It is clear, however, that the Word of God has a profound influence on the lyrics.

Indeed they do. There were a lot of references mentioned there which I hadn't realised were from the Bible. And at church today, I noticed the Gospel Acclamation: "Go and teach the people my gospel. I am with you always, until the end of the world." I though, "... ahhh! That last part sounds familiar."

An english teacher from my school met the Edge in 1983 and apprently Bono wrote October with the Bible in one hand, as can be seen in tomorrow and with a shout - great stuff!

Bono quoted verbatim Psalm 116 from The Message at nearly every concert (you can hear it in the Boston DVD) :

What can I give back to GOD
for the blessings he's poured out on me?
I'll lift high the cup of salvation--a toast to GOD!
I'll pray in the name of GOD;
I'll complete what I promised GOD I'd do,
and I'll do it together with his people.

Also at the Superbowl show, after the first song you hear Bono repeating twice Psalm 51:15:

O Lord, open my lips,
And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.

Back
Top Bottom