being a christian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ohmy: I am a Christian. I didn't knew people hate Christians because of the Church. :ohmy:

The term "church" is used different ways.

In Scripture, it means the entire body of believers. Some may use it to refer to an institution, such as the Roman Catholic Church. Others may use church to refer to Scripture itself (i.e., "I don't want the church telling me what to do" when referring to biblical teachings).

Accordingly, "hating the church" can mean everything from hating the sinful abuses men do under the color of authority of a church to hating what the Bible teaches.

nbcrusader said:
The term "church" is used different ways.

In Scripture, it means the entire body of believers. Some may use it to refer to an institution, such as the Roman Catholic Church. Others may use church to refer to Scripture itself (i.e., "I don't want the church telling me what to do" when referring to biblical teachings).

Accordingly, "hating the church" can mean everything from hating the sinful abuses men do under the color of authority of a church to hating what the Bible teaches.
:ohmy: Okay, I see.

To me, being a Christian only entails believing in Christ as the Lord and Savior and following His teachings.

The "Church" in all of its meanings does not effect my personal relationship with God.

Lilly said:
To me, being a Christian only entails believing in Christ as the Lord and Savior and following His teachings.

The "Church" in all of its meanings does not effect my personal relationship with God.

Well stated. I attend a Presbyterian church, but I don't identify myself as a Presbyterian - I'm a Christian.

There is value in being part of the Church - the body of believers - for fellowship, encouragement, support, etc.

Have a joyful day!

Lilly said:

I agree; nonetheless it makes ppl look at you with preconceived notions. If I even mention "God" or anything to do with spirituality to someone, they immediately assume I am trying to convert them. Shee!

famous rungi said:
I agree; nonetheless it makes ppl look at you with preconceived notions. If I even mention "God" or anything to do with spirituality to someone, they immediately assume I am trying to convert them. Shee!

Instead of mentioning God, refer to Jesus - then you will really see people fly off the handle!

foray said:
is... so... hard. people hate christians because of the church. um & yeah & whatever.

Well, "the Church" in the Bible is the body of believers in Christ as the one and only Savior/son of God, etc., but "the church" in religious circles may mean the Catholic church, or just a church building....

And "hating the church"? Well, Christ never said the Christian life would be a cakewalk....he said it would be difficult, and Christians would be hated for his namesake....and it's true, it's hard to stay on that narrow path and adhere to the teachings of a 'book' that seems so arcane and out of touch with modern society. The world is so "in your face", and full of temptations of all kinds: sex, drugs (rock & roll?), plus immorality, bad manners, disrespect of family and others, no values, and no absolute right or wrong. No wonder we're in chaos.

:rant: Take a look at the world today - everything is SO politically correct: you can't say anything the least bit disparaging (even in jest) about any ethnic group, any religion, women, old people, fat people, the disabled, even animals!, yet WHY does it seem that it's still OK to criticize, laugh at, blaspheme, condemn, be disrespectful of and uncivil toward Christians? Worldwide, Christians are still persecuted, held as slaves, maimed, killed and hated by other groups, religious or not. I know God is God and He's in control of everything, but still, as a human and a Christian....it's kind of frightening.

___
And to think it's only going to get worse.... :sad:

Last edited:
oh no i get what you mean fors! well not so much hate here where I am, but i get so tired of people tippy-toing around me because they are afraid they might offend me by saying something that does not agree with my religion. First off, I am the same as you nbcrusader, I attend a Presbytarian Church from time to time, but I am not specifically Presbytarian, more so just Christain. And secondly, just because I believe something, doesn't mean I am going to get angry because people don't agree with me!!!

I think that's what you mean, Christians have this image of people who tend to jump down other people's throats and tell them what to do all in the name of spreading the Word. You know you can take a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. And i have no intent of forcing anything on anyone else because I don't even have a clue if I am 'right.' If I spread faith to them, the only way it would be I hope is that the joys of believing will be obvious to them through me, and they will be attracted to it. That would be if anything, what I want. But people have many many different ways of having faith, and being Christian is just one of them.

boy, you thought you were rambling, rungified!! :D

Lilly, I like what you said girl.

Last edited:
another way of putting it is that if your last name was Bobbitt, people would assume you come from a family full of male-castrating psychos.

Alot of truth here. I just concentrate on being a a decent person, if you're not too high strung or nutty about things of the Spirit around people there will be times when it just slips into the direction of your chatter, and at that stage you will become an asset rather than a curse to the conversation!
If you show someone you are a 'good bloke', as we say here, then it shouldn't be an issue. It also helps to be honest, eg. talking about your doubts, criticisms and queries with the faith around others is often a much better pipe opener than raving about Jesus like he's a free set of steak knives!

foray said:
is... so... hard. people hate christians because of the church. um & yeah & whatever.

foray

it's sad to say this but i think it's true that people are turned away from Christianity because of the actions or reputations of churches.

i know a few years back all i'd ever known of Christianity was people who said all gay people were going to hell, or who thought 'a women's place is in the home' or said you were evil if you drank alcohol or smoked or swore.

i always felt alienated from those people, either i'd think i couldn't live up to their standards, or i'd think that i didn't want to live up to narrow minded standards such as those. it took me a long time to realise that Christianity shouldn't be about judging or condeming people, it should be about love and acceptance. but sadly i think many people never see that side of Christianity because they run away from it, afraid of being judged and condemned for their perceived faults.

Re: Re: being a christian

MollyRose said:

sadly i think many people never see that side of Christianity because they run away from it, afraid of being judged and condemned for their perceived faults.

This is one of the big points Philip Yancey makes in "What's So Amazing About Grace," the book Bono gave to Liam Gallagher (it was Liam and not Noel, right?) when Liam asked him to teach him to pray. (Boy, do I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that conversation.)

Yancey tells this heartbreaking story of a friend of his who was trying to help a woman who was prostituting her very young daughter to pay for her drug habit, and he asked her if she had thought of going to a church for assistance. "Church!" she cried. "Why would I ever go there? They'd just make me feel worse!"

Yancey talks about how Jesus had this incredible knack for being able not to condone wrong behavior, but nevertheless to project total love, so that sinners (=all of us, of course) were deeply attracted to him. And how much Christians need to learn to be like that.

Re: Re: being a christian

MollyRose said:

it's sad to say this but i think it's true that people are turned away from Christianity because of the actions or reputations of churches.

i know a few years back all i'd ever known of Christianity was people who said all gay people were going to hell, or who thought 'a women's place is in the home' or said you were evil if you drank alcohol or smoked or swore.

i always felt alienated from those people, either i'd think i couldn't live up to their standards, or i'd think that i didn't want to live up to narrow minded standards such as those. it took me a long time to realise that Christianity shouldn't be about judging or condeming people, it should be about love and acceptance. but sadly i think many people never see that side of Christianity because they run away from it, afraid of being judged and condemned for their perceived faults.

:up:
I agree with this sad truth. Christians are their own worst examples. They exemplify religiousness and legalism and turn people WAY off. How did things get so warped?

I waitress and everyone hates the Sunday crowd that comes after church. They are often rude, never tip well, and are on their pious horse, looking down at us because we work on a Sunday! :mad:

As a Christian I find this very sad. It's hard to find the balance in life. To walk as Jesus did, to not condemn, to only show love and to have fun all at once is no easy task.

Re: Re: Re: being a christian

mebythesea said:
Yancey talks about how Jesus had this incredible knack for being able not to condone wrong behavior, but nevertheless to project total love, so that sinners (=all of us, of course) were deeply attracted to him

I've been carrying this thought around ever since I read your post.

Back
Top Bottom