Artificial intelligence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
many people take drugs to get a "high" - do you think taking drugs will bring about a spiritual experience?

All comments accepted! go ahead, consider any type of drugs you can think of...i am particulary thinking of the drug called "Ecstasy" that young kids take at all-night parties to open the heart chakra, a very stimulating time, i have heard. but many other drugs may have an effect on brain waves and create heightened abilities.

so, answer the question above, please :)

sponsored by Pepsi! (a flavorful caffeine filled beverage)

Having experimented with a lot of drugs in my youth, including ecstasy, I can tell you that it is my belief that they can stimulate the pineal gland and give one a sensation of having a spiritual experience. I have had the same kinds of experiences on drugs that I have also had during meditation, drug-free. So I can't dismiss the 'spiritual experiences' I've had under the influence of drugs as completely delusional but I know there is a much, much better way, through discipline and love.

And I also just want to add that I do not encourage drug use by any means, although I do understand the curiousity to experiment. But anyone who has a genetic predisposition to addictions should really, really be careful and stay away from drugs/alcohol and people who abuse them.

Hmmm this is a very good question...I have tried ecstasy and weed and I would say that both open you up more so that the potential for recieving a spiritual experience are higher (pardon the pun). But I think there would still have to be some spiritualness to the experience for it to happen, see what I mean? What I'm trying to say is that by getting high and sitting on your couch, I don't think youre going to be baptized in spiritual light...

..now, pop an E and do something like...oh, GO TO A U2 CONCERT :wink: :laugh: and you'll definately be converted.

Then again most of us have an intense spiritual experience at U2 concerts whether we're high or not! :yes:

EDIT: AND what Joyfulgirl said, very true...if you are predisposed to addictions already like drinking or :der: posting on U2 fan forums :lol:...ya probably don't want to try drugs...:p

Last edited:
Serotonin...dopamine...that's really all these drugs are. There's nothing "real" about them.

Will drugs give you a "spiritual experience"? It may certainly make you feel that way, only because these two chemicals directly affect how "good" you feel; hence, why so many antidepressants target those neurotransmitters.

Melon

I think it depends on how you define "spiritual experience". If it is an emotional thing, then perhaps yes. But I hope spirituality is more than just emotion, cuz I dunno about you but my emotions sure tend to be unreliable and change a lot.

U2 concerts might be the best natural high ever tho, imho. ;)

I think you have the right idea here sulawesigirl4. My understanding is that a spiritual experience is not emotional or physical, but necessarily requires an intellectual and volitional component.

The same way true love is not a "funny, happy feeling", but an affirmative decision to love.

:wave:

gabrielvox said:

Then again most of us have an intense spiritual experience at U2 concerts whether we're high or not! :yes:

agree with you there, but no real "drug" is involved :shrug: lol, isn't there a particular liquid or "smoke" that gets you up and flying? like hash, a drug btw that is illegal here in the US. only turkish prison "escapees" get that "crap" here in the US.

or accidental travellers in continental and nearby island countries:)

no kidding, POT (marijuana) is NOT needed at Elevation shows, so *high* we get from singing and dancing, right? but then, life goes on after, and the let down is very rough on some of us, lol!

"back in the day" I experimented with maaaany drugs, and have to admit that ecstacy was my favorite. Of course, I sweat like a pig, danced like a fool, and drank water like there's no tomorrow...but not once ever did any drug give me a "religious" experience, tho I have heard stories. I did have a friend once tell me that she had the opposite experience - she was (*ack!*) driving while on acid one night :ohmy:, and saw something like red eyes in her rear view mirror...when she turned around she said she actually saw a scary little demon sitting in her back seat "giggling"... :macdevil: kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "demon rum."

Thankfully she didn't get in a wreck or anything, but she pretty much went cold turkey after that.

I'm with Sula - a U2 concert got me very close to a true religious experience too! :)

Last edited:
Part of me was curious to experiment with some drugs, but I was always too level-headed to ever do it. I would never do it.

Of course, having such a relatively clean slate means that I don't have any "born-again" stories... :sexywink:

Melonn

Drugs only simulate true spiritual experiences.

The one time I dropped acid, I was able to figure that out after I came down. The grateful return to reality made me realize that the acid experience was only the chemical reaction in my physical brain, not anything truly spiritual.

(Although, I did enjoy the acid. I learned to appriciate Janis Joplin and certain Stones songs more. I would NOT recommend acid for just anyone.)

Pot is pointless.

martha said:
Drugs only simulate true spiritual experiences.

The one time I dropped acid, I was able to figure that out after I came down. The grateful return to reality made me realize that the acid experience was only the chemical reaction in my physical brain, not anything truly spiritual.

(Although, I did enjoy the acid. I learned to appriciate Janis Joplin and certain Stones songs more. I would NOT recommend acid for just anyone.)

Pot is pointless.

right with you there, martha! (acid is just chemical, pot is useless...unless you want a giggle, i seem to manage that all by myself):yes:

Back
Top Bottom