Article on Bono's "Coexist" bit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow.....yeah, wow.

OK, I feel bad for this chick! She's all worked up over nothing. Of course COEXIST is a universal message, but one that transcends religion, hence the obvious use of various religious symbols as part of the word. The author has missed the point entirely! It's not ABOUT RELIGION anymore! :banghead:

I rarely post comments on websites, but I couldn't let this one get away. I wrote:

Ms. Cobble - I'm sorry to inform you that you've missed the point entirely. COEXIST is in fact a universal theme, but one that transcends religion. It means, "who cares? we're all stuck here on eath together anyway and might as well make the best of it!" You mean to tell me you don't endorse world peace?

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with u LivLuv. Universalism is SEPERATE from coexistence. Univerversalism believes that everyone should agree to the same notion and get along, living in peace. Coexistence is to live in peace with another or others despite differences, especially as a matter of policy. The author does agree to peace, but not what is brought about by universalism, but instead what is brought about by coexistence.
And universalism IS a religious term. It is ABOUT RELIGION. Sorry to go on but.....

Universalism is the teaching that all people will be saved. Some say that it is through the atonement of Jesus that all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Others just say that all will go to heaven sooner or later, whether or not they have trusted in or rejected Jesus as savior during their lifetime. This universal redemption will be realized in the future where God will bring all people to repentance. This repentance can happen while a person lives or after he has died and lived again in the millennium (as some "Christian universalists" claim) or some future state. Additionally, a few universalists even maintain that Satan and all demons will likewise be reconciled to God.
Nevertheless, both facets of universalistic belief are in serious error. People will suffer eternal damnation (Rev. 14:11) and the demonic forces have no redeemer.
It is a religious term because the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) is involved with the notions of Jesus, heaven, hell etc.

In conclusion, the author does agree to peace, universalism is involved with religion, and it is seperate from coexistence. Sorry if I have rustled a few feathers.

edmerch1984 said:
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with u LivLuv. Universalism is SEPERATE from coexistence. Univerversalism believes that everyone should agree to the same notion and get along, living in peace. Coexistence is to live in peace with another or others despite differences, especially as a matter of policy. The author does agree to peace, but not what is brought about by universalism, but instead what is brought about by coexistence.
And universalism IS a religious term. It is ABOUT RELIGION. Sorry to go on but.....

Universalism is the teaching that all people will be saved. Some say that it is through the atonement of Jesus that all will ultimately be reconciled to God. Others just say that all will go to heaven sooner or later, whether or not they have trusted in or rejected Jesus as savior during their lifetime. This universal redemption will be realized in the future where God will bring all people to repentance. This repentance can happen while a person lives or after he has died and lived again in the millennium (as some "Christian universalists" claim) or some future state. Additionally, a few universalists even maintain that Satan and all demons will likewise be reconciled to God.
Nevertheless, both facets of universalistic belief are in serious error. People will suffer eternal damnation (Rev. 14:11) and the demonic forces have no redeemer.
It is a religious term because the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) is involved with the notions of Jesus, heaven, hell etc.

In conclusion, the author does agree to peace, universalism is involved with religion, and it is seperate from coexistence. Sorry if I have rustled a few feathers.

Universalism is different than using the word "universal". :der: I don't recall using the term universalism and I certainly was not thinking of it in any theological sense. Yes, I'm aware of what universalism is, but that's not what I was talking about. All I mean is COEXIST is something that you can't reject on the basis of religious conviction because it has nothing to with comparing one religion to the next. I don't agree with Judaism or Islam, but I accept the idea that we can live in peace, coexist together. To me, what Bono's saying is that regarless of race or religion, we're all PEOPLE stuck on the SAME earth together so we might as well get over ourselves and deal with it.

Point taken LivLuv, I just thought you were refering to the term universalism, which the author was talking about. Sorry for my misinterpretation.

Back
Top Bottom