Apparently Bono and Edge had their summer house exorcised

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel D.

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Courtesy of the atu2.com mailing list:

London Sunday Mirror
July 1, 2007

Thug Racists Slam U2 Over Anti-Nazi Blessing

By Niall Donald

Idiot racists have attacked U2 stars Bono and the Edge after the
millionaire musicians revealed they brought in a priest to bless
their holiday home.

They called in the cleric to rid their mansion in the South of France
of demons after discovering it was used by the Gestapo in WWII.

But nutcase bigots have posted a number of messages on white
supremacists website Stormfront.

The website's logo is "White Pride World Wide" and has hundreds of
Irish members.

A number of racists logged onto the website over the weekend to post
messages mocking the U2 stars.

One, who used the codename Wolfe Tone 88 said "I laughed out loud.
Puffs."

Another, who called himself Redser and said he was based in Kerry,
added "I had a good laugh. Bono is some dope."

Another thug who logged on using the codename CleanseByFire said: "I
would loved to have seen these traitors' faces when they found out
what their home was used for."

Bono and the Edge bought the beachfront pad in 1993 for more than
EUR3million but have since renovated the property.

They regularly entertain friends at the retreat in Eze-sur-Mer
including David and Victoria Beckham and cyclist Lance Armstrong.

© 2007 Sunday Mirror; London.

:ohmy: Has anyone heard about this before? I think it's interesting - if it's true - because it demonstrates how important spiritual matters are to U2. I don't think most people, especially celebrities, would even believe in demons, let alone care that they might be in their house. If I remember correctly, Bill Flanagan's book mentions a similar occurance in which the band didn't like playing in a stadium that Hitler had built because it was "full of demons."

I say thumbs up to the band for taking spiritual things seriously. :up:

Well, they didn't exorcise a person; that would be creepier. I've heard of people doing this with buildings, especially if it was previously used for evil purposes like this one was.

But, yeah, white supremecists should just get over it. :madspit:

well, anyway, I doubt the house was USED for anything evil. It's not like they were holding prisoners there or something. It is kind of creepy to think about the upper eschelon of the SS staying in your house, but it was probably just a getaway, vacation house for them, the way it is now.

and, white supremacists suck :madspit:

love2bmama said:
well, anyway, I doubt the house was USED for anything evil. It's not like they were holding prisoners there or something. It is kind of creepy to think about the upper eschelon of the SS staying in your house, but it was probably just a getaway, vacation house for them, the way it is now.

:yes: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

I'd love to see another source on this. Could be the band just had the house blessed, which would not be unusual in and of itself. Exorcising demons is a bit beyond a blessing. So was that part added in by the supremecists because of the houses history or was that mentioned in why they were having the house blessed. When did they reveal this? And when was the blessing done? If it was when they bought the house it was probably a customary thing for them to bless the places that they live. After all they have a blessing at the beginning of their tours so why wouldn't they bless their houses?

Dana

The article doesn't mention exorcism, and neither does the blurb posted in the thread in Stormfront (you can Google it easily) which I take it was the 'source' for the article.

In any case I don't see what this, if true, would have to do with how 'spiritual' they are...the idea being there must be evil Gestapo ghosts lurking around the house and that might endanger their souls somehow, or what?

yolland said:
The article doesn't mention exorcism, and neither does the blurb posted in the thread in Stormfront (you can Google it easily) which I take it was the 'source' for the article.

In any case I don't see what this, if true, would have to do with how 'spiritual' they are...the idea being there must be evil Gestapo ghosts lurking around the house and that might endanger their souls somehow, or what?

But the article does mention demons and I would like to see where Stormfront got their information since the article only references what is on Stormfront's site. I am not going to visit the Stormfront page myself because I won't give them the satisfaction. I am curious about where they came up with the info that they posted on their site as the article does not mention what Stormfront's source was.

Dana

rihannsu said:
I'd love to see another source on this. Could be the band just had the house blessed, which would not be unusual in and of itself. Exorcising demons is a bit beyond a blessing. So was that part added in by the supremecists because of the houses history or was that mentioned in why they were having the house blessed. When did they reveal this? And when was the blessing done? If it was when they bought the house it was probably a customary thing for them to bless the places that they live. After all they have a blessing at the beginning of their tours so why wouldn't they bless their houses?

Dana

Hey Dana! I was just going to post this very thing.
I'm Irish and was raised Catholic, (not that this is relevant) but it seems to be an Irish/Catholic thing because we had our Priest come to our house and bless our home and "all who dwelled in it" as well.

Last edited:
rihannsu said:
But the article does mention demons and I would like to see where Stormfront got their information since the article only references what is on Stormfront's site.
It didn't mention demons either, it was just a very short blurb someone had posted saying Bono and Edge had flown in a priest to bless their house after discovering it had been a local Gestapo headquarters during the War. There wasn't any apparent other source. Although for all I know, this could be something that made the Irish tabloid circuit recently. :shrug:

I thought it was the case, though, that Catholic exorcisms are specifically for driving demons out of people? I've never heard of a Catholic ritual for driving demons out of buildings. Also, as mentioned earlier, I didn't think the Catholic notion of demons was such that one would assume a house likely has them hanging around simply because some Gestapo happened to use it 60-odd years ago.

Last edited:
love2bmama said:

You don't feel the Gestapo were evil? By nature they were! Have you read the history books? Still, how many are still on this earth who lived through experiences at the residence address who can give firsthand accounts of what REALLY went on during that era?

If it were me and I were to have learned this bit of info I'd be a bit creeped out, especially if some strange feelings, vibes or hauntings were happening!

Carek1230 said:

You don't feel the Gestapo were evil? By nature they were! Have you read the history books? Still, how many are still on this earth who lived through experiences at the residence address who can give firsthand accounts of what REALLY went on during that era?

If it were me and I were to have learned this bit of info I'd be a bit creeped out, especially if some strange feelings, vibes or hauntings were happening!

I didn't say the gestapo weren't evil. Of course they were. I'm just saying that the fact that some members of the SS may have or even if they in fact did stay at that house, it doesn't mean anything horrible or evil happened in the house.

I also said that yes, it would be creepy to find out that those people had stayed at the house, but that doesn't mean that it was haunted or needed to be exorcised.

I think they probably had someone come and bless the place, and everything beyond that has been nothing but conjecture and jumping to conclusions.

A house blessing isn't unusual. Our family priest came and blessed our house in Michigan after we moved in. We aren't Irish, btw.

As for the Nazis in the South of France, if it is true that they occupied the Edge and Bono's house, then I'd definitely want to have it blessed. I don't think it's exactly an exorcism, since for that to happen, you have to believe the devil was present.

Eh? Don't get it, personally. So they got their house blessed after renovating it. Who. Bloody. Cares.

Mayhap that selfsame priest can bless my wicked-swollen tonsils and post-nasally drippy infected sinuses. Rid that of some demons, too.

Sounds more of a blessing to me than anything else, nothing unusual. The whole story is weird, who knows if it's even true.

Devlin said:
Eh? Don't get it, personally. So they got their house blessed after renovating it. Who. Bloody. Cares.

Right! House blessings aren't an unusual practice, wherever the family who believes in such rituals chooses to live.

I think whoever wrote this article were jumping to conclusions, and so were the people who posted the comments in the thread. It just looks as though somebody is trying to stir the pot. I've seen worse things said about U2 on u2 fan sites anyway ;)

House blessings are quite common in our Catholic parish here. Charasmatic Christians do have a ritual called spiritual cleansing for a house or building where it is believed something evil happened or where evil people once inhabited it. That's not an unusual practice either for charasmatics.

Sister Moon said:
House blessings are quite common in our Catholic parish here. Charasmatic Christians do have a ritual called spiritual cleansing for a house or building where it is believed something evil happened or where evil people once inhabited it. That's not an unusual practice either for charasmatics.

That's true, it's not a just a Catholic thing.

I've heard of people doing things like this if they convert a building into a church, especially if it had previously been used for nefarious purposes or by a bad group of people.

As for the article, I really don't know anything about this particular publication, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. But I didn't post it for a news story; I posted it because it deals with spiritual stuff and I thought it was interesting.

The reason I used the word "exorcised" is because that's what you do when you remove demons from somewhere, right? It doesn't have to necessarily be from a person.

Back
Top Bottom