Apostate Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadelynIris

Refugee
I have the occassional Christian friend refer to Bono as a probable apostate.

I defend him fully.

What do you think?

Mark

People who usually call him apostate is because they have a problem with Bono speaking against people who take God, who is immense and aweinspiring, and remaking Him into thier own image--which is small, pathetic and suited for their own purposes.

Bono charges the Church to be socially relevant...which sadly for the most part I have to agree with him. AIDS is the new leprosy in a way, for example, and the Church hasn't responded the way it should.

Do they give any examples of why they think so? To be honest, depsite his protests, I find Bono to be more Christian-hearted than most.

I doubt they know the true meaning of apostate.

While Bono may not be the holder of perfect theology, he is in no way an apostate.

nbcrusader said:
I doubt they know the true meaning of apostate.

While Bono may not be the holder of perfect theology, he is in no way an apostate.

I agree with nbcrusader (some things never change).

I don't agree with Bono on all theological issues, but I consider him to be a fine Christian.

Only Pharisees would consider Bono an "apostate." If anything, Jesus proved that anyone can take religion too far and completely miss the mark.

But that's besides the point. I think that most people will define a "Christian" as an "apostle" or an "apostate" solely depending on cultural identification. Thus, if this Christian has identified Bono as "The Other," then it is far less likely that he will say something positive about him, regardless of his religious beliefs. This was, after all, what the Pharisees did in relation to the Samaritans.

Melon

Last edited:
Bono isn't a perfect christian? who is
Bono isn't a christian role model though every christian should be? but who is a role model? Certainly not George Bush, Benny Hinn, etc...
Bono is the same as every christian who is a genuine christian, the difference is the substance not the form.

An apostate is one:
who denies Christ
leaves the faith

Bono has done neither. To call someone a label, u must know the definition of the label first.....

Shaizari said:
Bono isn't a perfect christian? who is
Bono isn't a christian role model though every christian should be? but who is a role model? Certainly not George Bush, Benny Hinn, etc...

I don't have any role models but Christ himself.

However, I do see many Christian qualities I admire in Bono and yes, George Bush.

Bono while not the most saint of saints, is a saint nonetheless, that is one undeniable quality of one who follows Christ. Is it by works that Bono is considered a believe or by Grace. Grace finds goodness in everything and Bono has shown that the church is not relevant by its attempt at being cool, its flashy new churches or corny attempts to convert people. Relevance is serving the community, the world and the needy. Those who hurt, those who starve, those who are oppressed. When the church addresses these things it does not need to try to be relevant, it is already relevant. Bono does his "evangelism" (in a loose sense) in the concert stage, in the conferences but not the pulpit. WHy not the pulpit? The pulpit fits within the walls of a church. But where Bono does his speakling, he breaks the walls, the boundaries and uses the borderless medium of communication. He is, at best, unorthofox in his faith, but unorthodox methods is not the same as apostasy.

religeous people always take shots at each other. religeon and the gospel do not mix! religeon is having the form but not the Power! The gospel is whosoever will call on the name of the Lord! Merry Christmas to ALL of good will and peace on earth! It`s wonderful to hear The Angels sing that song. Besides u2 the Angels are by far my favorite band.

Back
Top Bottom