Anyone ever done a 40 day fast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bono B. Jones

Acrobat
Going through a 40 day liquid fast right now. Just juices, smoothies, and soup (and an occasional vanilla shake). Doing it for some spiritual direction from God with the rest of my church. We're a Foursqare denomintion church called "The Rock Community Church".

I'm in my 16th day now and food cravings are lessening. I'm not praying and reading the word as much as I probably should be. I know I could never do this under my own power, so I have no doubt God is helping me along. (I love food too much!) I sat next to two of my band mates eating In and Out burgers last night and didn't even care, I just drank my shake. :drool:

I have a hard time reading anything really. The bible is interesting for the most part and I believe holds all the keys necessary to living a life devoted to Christ. Some of it is really boring and tough to get through though. I have to force myself to read things I enjoy let alone things that are, at times, uninteresting.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this and what their experience was like. This is my first time doing this, and so far it has definitely been the most sacrifical thing I've done for God other than giving up some material things I knew I had to. Priorities definitely shift when you have a child so some things, like a motorcycle, have to go for the better of the family.

Well, hope to hear back from those of you who have done this.

God bless,

Bono B. Jones

No, I've never done that, but I just wanted to say hi and thanks for posting in this particular forum :)

Just take care of your health, and I'm very impressed by your dedication

God Bless you as well :)

Thanks, ya I'm making sure to take plenty of vitamins. Got a sinus infection and a cough though. Right now most of Southern California is on fire and the smoke here is terrible. That mixed with the high winds does my allergies in.

I have never done a fast for that long...

As for reading the Bible, you may want to check out 'The Message' (Bono likes it) - may help to make things a little more interesting :)

I have never done this. The closest I've come is observing Lent (I am a Catholic). I admire your devotion. I think this is really cool.

I've fasted, but never to the extent you describe.

Have you fasted before? 40 days seems like an awful long time for a first time fast.

I'd recommend the book "Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth" by Richard Foster. There are a variety of practices that can help with spiritual growth and direction.

God Bless!

I'm actually in the midst of a 30-day fast because I'm living in Mali and Ramadan is here. Even though I'm not Muslim, I thought that it would be good to try to participate in this along with my fellow neighbors, coworkers, etc. With Ramadan, you eat before the sun rises and after the sun sets. So far, I've found it doable, although the African heat can certainly drain you. The very devout even go without liquid, but I've only been in country for a few months and dehydration is too likely for my newbie skin.

Courage. And take care.

Never done a fast like that myself, although I do know someone who did a 40-day fast from the Internet, and they said it really improved their relationship with God. I did just do a seven day fast (re: challenge) from U2, which was great because I wasn't listening to a wide enough variety of music before then and the week really helped me to rediscover other brilliant bands.

Good on you for doing the fast. I applaud you. I probably should do something like that myself ...

The object of he fast is to remove something that could otherwise get in the way of time with God. In fasting, I've discovered how much time each day is spent preparing, eating and cleaning up after meals.

Going without food, in and of itself, does not improve the relationship with God. The time that would be spent eating, is spent in prayer and study.

mellyinsf said:
All the time:eyebrow: ?!*?

This is something that I've decided to do for 40 days because Jesus fasted for 40 days. Some people only do it for a day, some do it for 3 days. It's up to the individual and what God shows them when they are praying prior to the fast.

Update: I'm still doing it! I've had moments of weakness that have almost made me break the fast, but I have not. Only 17 days left! Can't wait for some REAL food. I am going to change my eating habits after this fast is over. I am realizing that I haven't been eating that great and have been pigging out way to much. Now that my stomach has shrunk considerably, I want to eat less portions and eat healthier. Save fast food as a once in a while treat instead of a way of life. It's amazing to me the crap we put into our bodies. No wonder so many people are getting cancer and other terminal illnesses.

Anyway, thanks for all the support and comments.

God bless,

B.B.

Wow! I admire your dedication :D

I must admit I've never considered fasting. I've done Lent (I'm Catholic) but only really in terms of giving up meat, and I'm practically vegetarian anyway. I think it'd be a good thing to do (for the reasons that nbcrusader gave) ... for now I am concentrating on getting really involved in doing daily Bible study, which for me is a bit tricky even with food!

Anyway, prayers your way to be strong :) Take care of yourself.

Wow! Forty days sounds like such a long time. In fact, that's the limit the human body can go without food. I admire you very much for the tremendous effort! :yes:

Rachel D. said:
Wow! Forty days sounds like such a long time. In fact, that's the limit the human body can go without food. I admire you very much for the tremendous effort! :yes:

Thanks Rachel D., however I am eating. Just not solid foods. I wouldn't make it through the first day of a no food fast. This is hard enough! 40 days is a long time, but I'm about 2/3rd's of the way through this and am not giving up.

God bless,

B.B.

I guess I'm the only one that will be politically incorrect here, but this is really unhealthy and I don't think anyone should go 40 days without food. Our bodies were not designed for this and actually what is happening to your body is detramental. At fourty days your body has eaten all the muscle tissues in your body including your heart tissue, irregular heart beats, breathing problems. I mean I hope your spirtuality is worth possible perment damage to your body.

mellyinsf said:
I guess I'm the only one that will be politically incorrect here, but this is really unhealthy and I don't think anyone should go 40 days without food. Our bodies were not designed for this and actually what is happening to your body is detramental. At fourty days your body has eaten all the muscle tissues in your body including your heart tissue, irregular heart beats, breathing problems. I mean I hope your spirtuality is worth possible perment damage to your body.

I appreciate your concern Mellyinsf, but you must have not read all my posts on this thread. I am eating! I am just limiting myself to soups and protien shakes, basically anything you could get through a straw. I am not in any danger with my health and I would not put myself in that kind of position. When I started this fast, I weighed around 200lbs. So far, I've only lost about 8 pounds, it seems I'm shedding inches more than pounds which is fine with me. (losing weight or inches is not the reason for doing this-just a nice side-effect.)

I too would not recommend anyone fasting food completely and I know God would not want anyone to put themselves in that kind of position. Anyone doing this for spiritual reasons should be praying a lot about what kind of fast God wants them to do long before they even begin. I think my next fast may involve T.V.-something that definitely keeps me from spending time with God (and my wife and son).

I'm not expecting everyone to understand this. Especially if you don't believe in God or even if you do and have never stretched yourself in your faith. A lot of Christians (including myself in the past) go to church on Sundays and then go home and do not seek God the rest of the week. Church becomes more like a ritual than a place to be fed and to seek and worship God.

I still struggle with being two people. The person I am at church and around other Christians and the person I am at work when I am around non-Christians. I tend to be a chameleon and change my colors to fit in to the environment I'm in. That is wrong and is something I am hoping will change after this fast. I have already started by telling people who are non Christians what I am doing and why. I get a lot of funny looks and even ridicule, but some ask questions and are intrigued. I need to be more of an example of Christ in my daily life and this is one way I'm trying to step outside my worldly self and do that.

God bless,

B.B.

Then you really could not call this a fourty day fast. This is rather a fourty day liquid diet. I don't think that is what Jesus did.

mellyinsf said:
Then you really could not call this a fourty day fast. This is rather a fourty day liquid diet. I don't think that is what Jesus did.

Technically you're right. I only said I was doing it for 40 days because that was the length of time Jesus fasted not because I was fasting food all together like he did. It's all about making a sacrifice for God and that's what I'm doing. Although I am still eating, I am sacrificing my normal eating habit's and foods which is a big deal for me. I like food, especially meat. I also choose to call it a fast rather than a diet because I am not doing this for the purpose of losing weight. Diet to me=doing something to lose weight.

B.B.

I was thinking about this this morning in the shower. (Yes, I'm that weird that I think about what total strangers are doing. But the mind does wander...)

Anyway, I was thinking that a fast would tend to help with spiritual discipline. Denying yourself something that you enjoy, so you can focus more on God. Somewhat like a Lenten abstinence. Obviously, endangering yourself is going too far, but it sounds like our new friend B.B. is not endangering himself, but abstaining from solid food for some spiritual focus and discipline.

So the point is giving up something you really like for the glory of God.

It would be tough for me to fast for even a day because I get dizzy just from skipping lunch! I'm a spiritual wimp. ;)

martha said:
I was thinking about this this morning in the shower. (Yes, I'm that weird that I think about what total strangers are doing. But the mind does wander...)

Anyway, I was thinking that a fast would tend to help with spiritual discipline. Denying yourself something that you enjoy, so you can focus more on God. Somewhat like a Lenten abstinence. Obviously, endangering yourself is going too far, but it sounds like our new friend B.B. is not endangering himself, but abstaining from solid food for some spiritual focus and discipline.

You've got it martha! That's exactly what I'm doing. Like I said, I don't expect everyone to understand what I'm doing, but you said it in a nutshell!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suport!

B.B.

God called me to a fast, once.

I only drank water & coffee.
I smoked.

I devoured scripture & prayed a lot.:ohmy:

It totally changed me.

It was so good!!!! I had been disturbed about some issues and God helped so much!!!
It lasted for about 4 or 5 days.

Last edited:
I've never done it because I'm not a huge fan of electrolyte imbalances.

But I wish you luck, hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Like O2 said:
Just found this thread. Way to go and good for you BB!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Eileen

Thanks Eileen! I only have a couple of days left! This Friday night will be the night I break the fast. I never thought I could do something as sacrificial as this. It has been tough, but with God's help I have learned I can accomplish much more than I thought I ever could.

God bless,

B.B.

Back
Top Bottom