A quote that could sum up U2's spiritual lives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2isthebest

ONE love, blood, life
As I said in another thread, I'm re-reading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philp Yancey right now. I truly believe it's the best book I've read next to The Bible. I woul recommend it for any Believer. That being said, there's a line in this book, that to me, sets the members of U2 apart from their fellow Christians who don't "get" them. It's something I certainly need to work on more, but I really feel this is a phiosophy they hold onto.

"...The proof of spiritual maturity is not how 'pure' you are but awareness of your impurity. That very awareness opens the door to grace."

U2isthebest said:
As I said in another thread, I'm re-reading "What's So Amazing About Grace" by Philp Yancey right now. I truly believe it's the best book I've read next to The Bible. I woul recommend it for any Believer. That being said, there's a line in this book, that to me, sets the members of U2 apart from their fellow Christians who don't "get" them. It's something I certainly need to work on more, but I really feel this is a phiosophy they hold onto.

"...The proof of spiritual maturity is not how 'pure' you are but awareness of your impurity. That very awareness opens the door to grace."

Exactly. As Bono said "You go to God and you tell him all your faults, and you say 'Can you work with me here?' and you start to find that some of your faults can work for you. Like you've got a big mouth so you become a singer."

Dana

The Disciple said:
I just finished this book this weekend. That quote has stuck like a splinter in my mind since.

Isn't it one of the most amazing books you've ever read?. I've read it twice in 2 months. I learn so much each time.

It left me speechless on countless occasions. Another must is "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. Check it out!

The Disciple said:
It left me speechless on countless occasions. Another must is "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. Check it out!

I have heard so much about that! I need to check that one out as soon as possible! "The Jesus I Never Knew" is another great one by Yancey. Another one I love is "Finding Favor With The King" by Tommy Tenney. That one blew me way the first time I read it!

My favorite quote ever is "Not all who wander are lost." (Tolkien) I don't even know the context of this quote (regrettably I've not read Tolkien), which I suppose may be better in the end because it leaves room for me to interpret. You could apply this quote to U2 and spirituality in that they don't seem like "normal" Christians - they're rockstars, they like to party, they're rich and rightfully indulge, they don't attend church service every Sunday and church functions on Wednesday night - but just because they "wander" doesn't mean they are "lost". They're not lost to God, nor lost to themselves. Just because people don't do things the "normal" way doesn't make them wrong or doesn't mean they are less spiritual or less Christian than anyone else.

Another quote I think of when I see Bono meeting with politicians I don't exactly like is when MLK said that you don't have to like everyone, you just have to love them (I don't know the exact quote). We don't have to agree with or even like everyone in this world, but if we don't extend our love (which to me includes the notion of respect and equality, that their lives are just as important as ours), nothing can be accomplished.

Another quote I actually think about a lot, which is odd since it's from Harry Potter, is when Dumbledore says "Dark and difficult times lie ahead, Harry. Now is the time that we must choose between what is right, and what is easy." I'm not sure if it applies to U2, but I just thought I'd include it for thought :)

Last edited:
Liesje said:
My favorite quote ever is "Not all who wander are lost." (Tolkien) I don't even know the context of this quote (regrettably I've not read Tolkien), which I suppose may be better in the end because it leaves room for me to interpret. You could apply this quote to U2 and spirituality in that they don't seem like "normal" Christians - they're rockstars, they like to party, they're rich and rightfully indulge, they don't attend church service every Sunday and church functions on Wednesday night - but just because they "wander" doesn't mean they are "lost". They're not lost to God, nor lost to themselves. Just because people don't do things the "normal" way doesn't make them wrong or doesn't mean they are less spiritual or less Christian than anyone else.

Another quote I think of when I see Bono meeting with politicians I don't exactly like is when MLK said that you don't have to like everyone, you just have to love them (I don't know the exact quote). We don't have to agree with or even like everyone in this world, but if we don't extend our love (which to me includes the notion of respect and equality, that their lives are just as important as ours), nothing can be accomplished.

:applaud: :applaud: That is one of the best posts I've read on here!! I could not agree more!

"Another quote I actually think about a lot, which is odd since it's from Harry Potter, is when Dumbledore says "Dark and difficult times lie ahead, Harry. Now is the time that we must choose between what is right, and what is easy." I'm not sure if it applies to U2, but I just thought I'd include it for thought."

I just noticed you added this part later. Anyway, I think it definitely does! It's hard for any of us that call ourselves, and are Christians to keep living for God in the world we live in. It's even harder no matter what anyone says to do that as the biggest and most successful band alive, (and will likely go down in history as such), and keep an active relationship with Jesus as the boys from U2 have done. Heck, Adam even found Jesus, by Bono's own admissions, and some of his own statments recently, while at the pinnacle of career success. In "U2 by U2" Bono talks about a conversation he had with Michael Hutchence once where he told Bono how much he admired his committment to Jesus and his faith....Then he said, "you know, when I was younger I was the same way". Bono talks about how shocked he was when he heard that. He said something along the lines of. "I mean this was like hearing Casanova say he was pledged to Christ" The same has happened with many celebrities (and people in general really) they start out with faith, and lose it along the way. It would've been easy for the boys to say "Screw it, we don't need you God, the world loves us" Yet their faith, has strengthened through the years. It certainly hasn't been easy. Many of their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ refuse to accept them and pass judgement because their behavior and their art doesn't fit into the Pocketbook of Acceptable Behavior.Yet as Bono said after the Prayer Breakfast this year when asked "Why doesn't your music proclaim Christ?"..."It does." Many non-Christians misinterpret their message and goals sometimes too, yet they refuse to give up on their beliefs. Going along with all the work they do for charity, etc. it would be easy to throw some money at a cause, get their name in the paper, and walk away, yet they actually work, and are passionate about the causes they believe in. They give, but not for show. When asked, Bono always says that they do contribute money all the time, but they don't tell anyone in order to follow Jesus' teaching to "not let the left hand know what the right is doing." There is something about them that draws people to them beyond their amazing music; the grace of God at work in their lives and their deep and genuine compassion and love for others.

Back
Top Bottom