A question about Bono that will surely be answered here quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
If he had a catholic mother and protestant father (or was it the other way around?) and he was growing up in N. Ireland with the conflict between catholics and protestants...

is he a catholic or a protestant?

Well he grew up in the southern part of Ireland, in Dublin. That's not where the religious violence was centered.

As for his denomination, I don't believe he has ever claimed to be either Protestant or Catholic.

Ali is protestant but i believe that Bono just believes in God and finds God to be very interesting but doesnt actually have 1 religion. He is just simply a believer.

Bono sometimes says that he feels half Catholic and half Protestant. I suppose with his parents being one of each he feels connections to both Catholicism and Protestantism. But I think he is just a Christian in general, nothing more specific than that.

WALK ON--Chapter 2, Paragraph 3 (pg 21)

"The guys in U2 have made their faith in Jesus Christ known. They have made it clear that though they had feet in both camps of Ireland's denominational divide, they found a personal relationship with God outside of both. For two decades, U2 has seemed suspicious of any organized religion. The band members have believed their faith lived and thrived outside the narrow gates of religion. Bono once said, "I have this hunger in me....everywhere I look, I see the evidence of a Creator. But I don't see it as religion, which has cut my people in two. I don't see Jesus Christ as being any part of a religion. Religion to me is almost like when God leaves--and people devise a set of rules to fill the space."

Amen.
Couldn't have said it better myself....

Ali Rose said:
Religion to me is almost like when God leaves--and people devise a set of rules to fill the space.

:yes: That's the way I think about religion since I read the book.

Bono's mother was Protestant. Bono's father was Catholic.

The Hewsons grew up in suburbs near Dublin (which is S. Ireland). Which anywhere in Ireland, religion is a big matter. So being raised in a family with half-and-half was a big deal. Irish Protestants were generally knowns as the richer and higher elite, while the Catholics were more the common folks.<---(I can't recall at the moment which N or S Ireland this is relevant to).

And yes, like everyone else says, Bono doesn't like to associate himself with organized religion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom