a message in Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I know everyone interprets songs in different ways, but I'm getting the feeling this may be one of those amiguously religious songs, like, it could be about God, or a person, however you look at it. But a lot of the words make me think it's about God's love helping a person out in a messed up world. Maybe I'm nuts here, maybe not. I don't have the lyrics but some I've heard make me think this. I guess I'll post again when I find a list of the real lyrics.

I agree, U2Kitten. You should check out the U2 Sermons site (which is execellent, by the way). They already have a quick analysis of the song, with a more detailed one to follow, I am sure.

you're not nuts anyway, everything that is about love, is most probably about God on some level.. for me at least. I haven't really analysed the lyrics yet but my first expression..

"Your love is teaching me how to kneel"
could be you know :)

Definitely, the lyrics in Vertigo can be interpreted to have a spiritual message in them. :wink:

Like so many of U2's songs, Vertigo can looked at from many different angles. Some people think that Bono is singing about his experiences being at a U2 concert (interesting theory), others just think the lyrics are basically "filler lyrics".

To those of us who have followed U2 carefully over the years, we know that Bono has written very few "filler lyrics" in his lifetime....and the lyrics to Vertigo surely aren't filler! :ohmy:

Bono is talking about a familiar them for him - temptation. He speaks of the jungle and of how "though your soul, it can't be bought, your mind can wander". He speaks of many temptations - the temptations of ego, of money ("I can sell the beats, I'm asking for the check") and of lust ("the girl with crimson nails has Jesus around her neck).

These are all themes Bono visited in ISHFWILF. They are still themes which he feels strongly enough to revisit in the song.:yes: cont'd

But with one big difference....

In ISHFWILF, Bono ends the song feeling like he thinks he's found what he's looking for, but it's not a definitive ending. In "Vertigo", Bono is more sure that he has found what he's looking for and is HOLDING ON TO IT TIGHTLY. :up:

He keeps repeating 'you give me something I can feel" and "your love is teaching me how to kneel" - VERY POWERFUL AFFIRMATIONS OF FAITH.

The most interesting lyric from this song for me is "I'm at a place called Vertigo - it's everything I wish I didn't know". What is it that Bono knows that he wishes he didn't know - is it something similar to all those things that you can leave behind?

Anyway, this is my cursory look at another BRILLIANT GEM of a U2 song/psalm. I'm sure there will be more to say down the road. :hug:

All I can say is that "Vertigo" is another chapter in the unfolding musical ministry of U2 - all wrapped up in a drivin' upbeat manner!

Gotta love them, especially the B-man....:angel: :bono: :love:

There is a thread I started on this in the Lyrics area.

I believe completely that this is about temptation. I think VERTIGO is a small reference to Satan tempting Jesus with all of the Kingdoms of the world. All of this, All of this can be yours, just give me what I want an no one gets hurt........You do not have to be crucified if you bow down to me.

I believe that Bono is also referencing the fact that his eyes are whide when the lights go down and he is on stage. The thoughts in his head can;'t rule his heart (soul) He feels strong in himself and in his faith. His eyes are wide (possible adjustment to the lights) to the temptations before him. He knows his soul can't be bought, but his mind wanders....

Causing VERTIGO the place where temptations conflict with what he knows is right. A place called Vertigo (WHERE IS IT in Spanish) Inside himself. It's everything he wishes he didn't know. If you lack the knowledge of sin or what temptation is, it would be so much easier to give into the FEELINGS.

Apparently he is not as strong as he thought. Can't stand it, wants out, asks for the cheque (payment for the gig). Watching the girl dancing (Why do I picture Joyful Girls Avatar?)

Then Stan's voice tempting All of this can be yours.

[Q]9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."
10Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'[1] "
11Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.[/Q]

Finally, the last verse, Your love is teaching me to kneel, (Worship the Lord) in prayer. Maybe for the stregnth he thought he had in the first verse?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two questions I had were in the counting at the beginning. 1, 2 3, 14 and inner El Guapo had a great post in the other thread from the book of James:

[Q](uno, dos, tres, catorce) 1, 2, 3, 14

Book of James Chapter 1, Verses, 2, 3, and 14

(2)Count it all joy, my bretheren, when you meet various trials(3), for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. (14)but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. [/Q]

Peace

Excellent analysis Dread. I had the same thought about the "all of this can be yours" line.

Of course, ending the song with "Your love teaches me how to kneel" shows me yet again how U2 songs are modern Psalms.

Great posts and ideas everybody, thanks:) Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought so!

Dreadsox said:

:madspit:

Waits for your next typo!!!!

:wink:

it's ok. i make typos all the time. I just thought that one was humourous. (see i probably didnt even spell that one right! plus all the mechanics errors in my typing...)

Back
Top Bottom