40..in church?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightninja56

War Child
Last week the praise band at my school played the song "40" in our chapel. They had practiced for awhile, and after me nagging them (my 3 best friends are in it), they finally played it. I, of course made 'woohoo' type noise at the beginning, when, in my school i see "40" by Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen (they didnt have jr), and Adam Clayton. It was awesome to see that in my Christian school, where they really tighten 'worldly' stuff down. I know the leader, and he loves U2, though not as much as coldplay, and apparently the lead guitarist was bothering them about playing it (i dont like him, but he likes U2 so it was bomb). And I just loved being able to worship with a U2 song during chapel, where many people think U2 is just some mainstream, secular band, etc. (our chapel has 6th-12th graders) so im hoping this well help. The best part, I think was when my two buddies (backup guitar and bass) and the lead guitarist and drummer, played the music for 'beautiful day' and one of my friends who likes U2 was singing it loudly (i myself resisted the urge to go up and sing it myself) and then one of my moron friends was like 'LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!!' (he doesnt like U2, he usually starts saying rude sarcastic things about U2 during class which is annoying hes into that moron heavy metal crap) ok...my question is...

What do you think of "40" (and other songs, if you have ideas) being used as a praise and worship song? Have you heard it that way?

nightninja56 said:

What do you think of "40" (and other songs, if you have ideas) being used as a praise and worship song? Have you heard it that way?

I think it's a great idea. I think 40 in paticular is much better than most "contemparary Christian" songs because it's lifted almost straight from the Bible.

Have not heard "40" as part of a church-organized praise gathering. (Wish I have! I'd be singing to the top of my lungs too!).

Also agree that this is way better than most "Contemporary Christian" songs. These words have been used as songs of praise for hundreds and hundreds of years. They are holy words from the Bible -what more can you say? Other than the music to "40" is beautiful! :up:

yeah I played Yahweh during Bible class once (teacher lets me play worship stuff from my iPod whenever I want, so i played yahweh once) it was pretty cool

My church doesn't play/sing anything composed after the 1850s, but I've heard it a few times at chapel/worship gatherings at schoo.

I don't think my church would do that. Alot of the youth leaders are against listening to secular music and I assume that they consider U2 to be secular. I've never asked or even said anything about U2, so I'm not sure. (I don't talk a whole lot at church.) But they might if they've only heard a version of "40" by a Christian band - since there are several - and don't know it's by U2.

Edit: I just remembered that there used to be a poster up in the youth chapel that had a chart listing secular artists and Christian altnernatives that sound similar. U2 was in the secular column. I was ready to say otherwise if anyone brought it up, but they never did.

Last edited:
Rachel D. said:
I don't think my church would do that. Alot of the youth leaders are against listening to secular music and I assume that they consider U2 to be secular. I've never asked or even said anything about U2, so I'm not sure. (I don't talk a whole lot at church.) But they might if they've only heard a version of "40" by a Christian band - since there are several - and don't know it's by U2.

Edit: I just remembered that there used to be a poster up in the youth chapel that had a chart listing secular artists and Christian altnernatives that sound similar. U2 was in the secular column. I was ready to say otherwise if anyone brought it up, but they never did.

Churches like that scare me.

^^yeah my youth group has probably that same poster...my youth music pastor has said his music was inspired by U2 and he talks to me about them

before the services they have played Yahweh and "40" which is awesome all 3 youth pastors like them...uh what else, well im good friends with them and they asked me how U2 was when they came to town, etc...

OH and last week, in conjunction with the message, the band played 'sunday bloody sunday' and they did aight, not close to the real thing (which they played before the service when everyone was mingling) so yeah i thought that was awesome, me and my U2-liking friends were singing..lol

so yeah, i have basically brought U2 to my church and school...bwahahahaha

some people have the wrong prospective of U2, and other see the church as hating anything with a beat

they can live in harmony, and its a sweet harmony

The bands at Lifechurch.tv regularly play U2 songs.

The most incredible was when they played Pride during the easter service in 2003 while the video screen showed scenes from the Jesus movie. Absolutely amazing!

They have played Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Streets, Pride, All Because of You among others.

Check them out, they have campuses all over the place.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but at the Christian camp I worked at in the past (I was a C.I.T., but also a camper before that) their praise and worship band played Pride and I *think* 40...lol, its been about 5 years so as I said, memory is a little fuzzy!

Pride was definitely played though.

:)

Last edited:
I work for a Christian organization, and we have a chapel time each day.

We all take turns leading, and there's a chapter of the Psalms that is read each time. On my turn, guess what Psalm I got to read?! I read Psalm 40, then played the song. It went over really well, as many of my co-workers love U2, and of course they all know how much I love their music.

Heh. Mebbe I ought to set that as a condition of me having to talk in church. Only if I get to play 40. On guitar.
:macdevil:

I think it's an awesome idea. We've sung it in chapel here at my Christian college. I mean...it's a psalm, so of course it's OK to sing in church.

It is NOT a psalm.

It is another example of dumbed-down evangelical worship methods, that is just internationally infiltrating the church. 40 might feature some religious words but it is NOT a hymn.

It is to be honest straight out of the Graham Kendrick mode of 'song' (to call them hymns is to insulting) writing.

Is there anyone here who knows Shine Jesus Shine? The most insulting piece of dirge that has ever been releasd onto unsuspecting church comminuties, and is only liked by women who in their 60's youth were feminists.

I Cannot under any circumstances agree with this attempt to make worship friendly approachable and informal. If you went to see the Queen in Buckingham Palace, you would not dress in Jeans, so why when visting the house of God should informality be happening at all? Stick with hymns aincent and modern... Charles Wesley done it so much better

Do i need to upload a PROPER recording of a psalm?

This somewhat ties into my worst pet peeve ever. When Christian radio will play Christian artists who have remade secular songs but not the original band. SO annoying. Our radio station would play any "Chrisitan band" that recorded (God forbid) 40, Yehweh, or ABOY, but not U2. Is anyone else bothered by that? I just turned on the radio the other day and some girl was singing a Rascall Flatts song. Sigh.

Miricale_Drug said:
It is NOT a psalm.

It is another example of dumbed-down evangelical worship methods, that is just internationally infiltrating the church. 40 might feature some religious words but it is NOT a hymn.

It is to be honest straight out of the Graham Kendrick mode of 'song' (to call them hymns is to insulting) writing.

Is there anyone here who knows Shine Jesus Shine? The most insulting piece of dirge that has ever been releasd onto unsuspecting church comminuties, and is only liked by women who in their 60's youth were feminists.

I Cannot under any circumstances agree with this attempt to make worship friendly approachable and informal. If you went to see the Queen in Buckingham Palace, you would not dress in Jeans, so why when visting the house of God should informality be happening at all? Stick with hymns aincent and modern... Charles Wesley done it so much better

Do i need to upload a PROPER recording of a psalm?
:rolleyes:

I rolled my eyes, because I've never seen someone so young who's stuck in 1890.

First of all what makes a proper and an improper recording of a psalm?

But your analogy of the queen doesn't make any sense. You don't know the queen, so of course there's a certain aspect of formality.

People wanted Jesus to be a "king" with robes and fancy crowns. Instead they got a child born in the hay among animals. He walked amongst the people, hung out with prostitutes, lepers, and tax collectors. He never asked for formality then, why now?

Why wouldn't you want worship to be friendly and approachable? Are you trying to turn people off from God?

If you seriously believe in God then you believe him to be your father, he knows every aspect, indescresion and sin of your life, you're beyond formal meetings at that point.

Aincent hymns were contemporary at one time, were they wrong then? How does the age of the song change worship?

drdre12 said:

This somewhat ties into my worst pet peeve ever. When Christian radio will play Christian artists who have remade secular songs but not the original band. SO annoying. Our radio station would play any "Chrisitan band" that recorded (God forbid) 40, Yehweh, or ABOY, but not U2. Is anyone else bothered by that? I just turned on the radio the other day and some girl was singing a Rascall Flatts song. Sigh.
\

I'm not bothered by it in the least. Most contemporary Christian music is so awful that I'd hate to see U2 lumped in with it.

I never use the term secular unless I'm trying to distinguish between clergy and lay people -- all things come from God, so I personally believe it is just a pompous, sanctimonious and divisive term, especially when it comes to any expression of the arts, which I devoutly believe are God's greatest gift to us.

But I really wanted to share this with you -- about a month ago, I went to a weekday Mass, which I prefer, because Sunday Mass has gotten like American Idol auditions -- a lot of noise to keep imbeciles distracted, because if they meditated in the quiet, they might get ideas!! It was a beautiful, breezy spring day, and they left the front doors open. The church is on a corner by a stoplight, and right after the Consecration, when all is quiet, a car got the red light, and just what did they have pumping on the sound system but the boys doing I Still Haven't Found...it was BREATHTAKING.

FEELINNUMB said:
I never use the term secular unless I'm trying to distinguish between clergy and lay people -- all things come from God, so I personally believe it is just a pompous, sanctimonious and divisive term, especially when it comes to any expression of the arts, which I devoutly believe are God's greatest gift to us.

:yes: It's like "secular" is a way of saying "you aren't spiritually pure enough for me to associate with."

FEELINNUMB said:
But I really wanted to share this with you -- about a month ago, I went to a weekday Mass, which I prefer, because Sunday Mass has gotten like American Idol auditions -- a lot of noise to keep imbeciles distracted, because if they meditated in the quiet, they might get ideas!! It was a beautiful, breezy spring day, and they left the front doors open. The church is on a corner by a stoplight, and right after the Consecration, when all is quiet, a car got the red light, and just what did they have pumping on the sound system but the boys doing I Still Haven't Found...it was BREATHTAKING.

This is almost exactly what happened to me not long after The Joshua Tree came out! I was at Mass and it was a warm, spring day. The church wasn't air conditioned so the doors were open. Someone in the house right next to the church must have had their windows open and the radio on pretty loud, because I could very clearly hear "With or Without You" being played.

hmm well as far as how i distinguish music...i just try to stay away from like bad lyrics and stuff, though i know a few things slip through...i just want to focus on 'is this pleasing to the Lord or not?' i dont like to get caught up on technicalities

Bono's shades said:

:yes: It's like "secular" is a way of saying "you aren't spiritually pure enough for me to associate with."

EXACTLY!! Or, "that kind of thing is beneath my notice." You know, I used to work with the Missionaries of Charity, oy, in a soup kitchen, and the pantry would be down to a box of rice and 75 cans of cranberry sauce (people have to rethink those Thanksgiving donations) and I'd say, Sister, why don't you apply to such and such a place, they collect donations and would give us food to cook, and she'd wave me off and say, "that is a secular concern, God will provide." Like He's Mandrake the Magician and will dump a ton of groceries at her door instead of expecting her to use the brains and ability He gave her to take advantage of what was available to do work that needed to be done. Amazing. So, yeah, if I ever end up on Inside The Actor's Studio and James Lipton wants to know my least favorite word, it's secular...and "ilk!":wink:

It's a common misconception, you know, that God doesn't expect us to use our brains - many preachers will preach from emotion, and call you satan's own child when you don't fall out crying from the effect of their sermon. YOu're supposed to expect God to come and wave a magic wand and do stuff right away. Of course, the idea that God is only there to help, not do for you simply doesn't occur to most people.
If I wanted to stop sucking my thumb, I still have to do the work to stop, like figuring out the reasons why I do it (One of three reasons: I'm very sleepy, I'm very nervous, or I'm very sad about someting.)
People don't realize that this is why youth doesn't flock to the churches, much, anymore (well, not the ones I'm familiar with, at any rate. Maybe I ought to find some different circles.), that word 'secular'. Prevents them from having fun.

Devlin said:
It's a common misconception, you know, that God doesn't expect us to use our brains - many preachers will preach from emotion, and call you satan's own child when you don't fall out crying from the effect of their sermon. YOu're supposed to expect God to come and wave a magic wand and do stuff right away. Of course, the idea that God is only there to help, not do for you simply doesn't occur to most people.
If I wanted to stop sucking my thumb, I still have to do the work to stop, like figuring out the reasons why I do it (One of three reasons: I'm very sleepy, I'm very nervous, or I'm very sad about someting.)
People don't realize that this is why youth doesn't flock to the churches, much, anymore (well, not the ones I'm familiar with, at any rate. Maybe I ought to find some different circles.), that word 'secular'. Prevents them from having fun.

Actually, youth are really flocking to churches nowadays, due to what worship has become, something like a fun conversation with the Most High, a time of just you and Him, when you can feel both comfortable and safe. At youth camps and rallies around the WORLD really, teens are filling up and praising God with all of their might.

I love the Lord with all of my heart, but I don't get caught up with formalities. True, I listen to music, U2 and other, sorry secular bands. And though I appreciate U2's music and know that they have personal relationships with the same Heavenly Father that I do, they aren't a "Christian" band. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE U2 they are my absolute favorite band, I just don't let that get in the way of what I believe. (though some of their beliefs coincide with mine)

Back
Top Bottom