40..in church?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, i've played 40 in church. excellent song.

only problem is having both very old people in the church who dont like rock and roll at all, and people who can't get over the fact that Bono, at some time in his life, swore publicly.

oh now everyone knows that swearing leads to eternal damnation, isnt it?!?!?! hahaha.

Rachel D. said:
I don't think my church would do that. Alot of the youth leaders are against listening to secular music and I assume that they consider U2 to be secular. I've never asked or even said anything about U2, so I'm not sure. (I don't talk a whole lot at church.) But they might if they've only heard a version of "40" by a Christian band - since there are several - and don't know it's by U2.

Edit: I just remembered that there used to be a poster up in the youth chapel that had a chart listing secular artists and Christian altnernatives that sound similar. U2 was in the secular column. I was ready to say otherwise if anyone brought it up, but they never did.

Yea, I don't get that. My friend who has grown up in the church all her life was admonishing me for listening to U2 for being a, "secular band." Claims for some the music is a form of idolotry, and that bothered her. She mostly listens to contemporary Christian music. Didn't really want to hear me out on the meaning of the lyrics of 40, Yahweh, UTEOTW, etc. Nor cared too. And, could not care less about the humanitarian work Bono does to help those suffering around the world. She's my friend and all, though could not believe how closed minded and judgemental she is and was being. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

I've sung "40" in church two times - I think it's a very powerful song and has a great message; I especially like "I will sing a new song". Like others have said, the song is the first 3 verses of Psalm 40 put to music, just like so many other great hymns that we have come to know and love. Though I agree - U2 is not and should not be billed as a "Christian band." They are what they intended to be from the start - a great Rock and Roll band, except with some songs that often have a deeper, more spiritual influence/meaning than others. That's definitely one of the plus's of both being a Christian and an avid U2 fan. You hear people say "What's that supposed to mean, what's he talking about, etc..", all the while I smile and say "I think I know.":wink:

Last edited:
"40" in church? That'd e amazing, my parish sticks only to traditional music, which gets kind of boring to be sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom